Search results

1. Robin L

Suggestion

I don 't need any more Topping than what I've already got. Funny thing, my Topping L30 still has the best SINAD of all headphone amps tested here even though it's nearly four years old and very cheap.
  2. Robin L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

One of the best LP based systems I've heard deployed an AR XA, it was all vintage. I think the trick with that turntable is to not use a high compliance cartridge. I bought a Linn LP 12 with all the trimmings from the guy that owned that AR XA, best turntable I've ever owned.
  3. Robin L

Can anyone explain the vinyl renaissance?

What's the short and skinny? Let me guess - close enough for rock and roll? You would not believe (I would not believe) how many of those AR XAs I've owned.
  4. Robin L

Those of you who believe measurements aren't the whole story, do you have a hypothesis why that is?

Guess I haven't been witness to pop/rock recordings. My recordings were of classical music, almost entirely.
  5. Robin L

Those of you who believe measurements aren't the whole story, do you have a hypothesis why that is?

I haven't recorded anything 10 cm from an instrument. It's rare that a vocalist would be 10 cm from a microphone, more like 20 - 30 for pop recordings, much, much further than that for a classical recording. Most of my recordings of chamber music were 3 meters back and 2 meters up relative to...
  6. Robin L

Just about all the early stereo recordings - Living Stereo, Living Presence, EMI - used gain riding. An assistant engineer, following the music from the score, would shift recording levels so that the loudest passages wouldn't overload, and the lowest levels wouldn't be buried in noise. Dolby A...
  7. Robin L

Also, with "just drums" at times. There was a rock band (the Trike Shop, in Fresno California) where I would record their benefit concerts. The drums were unamplified but were still overbalancing the band, at least on the recordings I was making. As a live performing unit, they were fine, but I...
  8. Robin L

My experience is that the sort of extreme dynamics that one finds in music generally do not work in most domestic environments. I'm thinking of percussion specifically. I've got a recording of Mahler's third symphony (Chailly, Concertgebouw, Decca) that simply has too wide of a dynamic range...
  9. Robin L

The recordings I now make are amateur recordings of an amateur group; various adults playing for elementary school assemblies. I plug a handheld digital recorder into the tape output of a Mackie board used for the PA at the school, set the recorder for 24 bits and 44.1 sampling and leave plenty...
  10. Robin L

All the DBX gear I've heard/used subjectively had "breathing" artifacts. Had a really fine Yamaha cassette deck with a DBX noise reduction option, also had one of those DBX dynamic range expanders. Both had audible artifacts that bothered me a great deal. That Yamaha deck (dual capstan, three...
  11. Robin L

32ch DAC? Best bang for buck in the top tier?

I'm of the camp that one cannot determine meaningful audio differences via youtube shootouts. Youtube reduces data rates such that any potential advantages to high-rez recording are eliminated. While I'm at it, while I can see some advantages to high-bit recording as regards...
  12. Robin L

Unpopular Opinions in Music

I used to think he was an incredible musician, but the more I learned about him, the less I liked him or what he was up to. All that Synclavier noise he made indicated that he was suffering from caffeine and nicotine poisoning. Similar things could be said for his attempts at "concert" music...
  13. Robin L

Not trying to be arrogant here, but who listens to this?

Just a note here - that's Aaron Copland.
  14. Robin L

One could say the same of anything by Metallica. Different strokes, right?
  15. Robin L

It's certainly coming from a similar place.
  16. Robin L

OMA K3 $360K TURNTABLE

I do believe I see three copies of "Houses of the Holy" followed by one of "Waiting for Columbus".
Top Bottom