Search results

1. kemmler3D

I had it then it was ...... Gone

I think my old 80s-era B&Ws never sounded better than this morning, when I set them up to demo them so someone could come buy them from me. I was sad to see them go... perhaps that was just state of mind. They're good speakers for what they are, but did I really convince myself that 40-year-old...
  2. kemmler3D

Suggestion

Au contraire, it's the most distortion you can get as the output has nothing to do with the input anymore. ;) I am often saying we can't judge Topping reliability based on anecdote. Which is technically true. And this is a science-based site so I think we should have a little restraint when we...
  3. kemmler3D

Suggestion

Topping gets the credit it deserves for putting out gear that measures well, but you don't have to look hard to find threads where people question the reliability in pretty harsh terms, either. Honestly I think this forum could be a little unfair towards Topping, even! But I don't know because...
  4. kemmler3D

B&W 804S quasi-anechoic measurements

Pretty interesting! Thanks for the follow-up. To me this sort of seems like the physical embodiment of a "stereo widener" VST effect. I think it's interesting that they seem to have employed good ( or at least skilled depending on your POV) engineering, but came up with an on-axis response...
  5. kemmler3D

Many questions about headphones.

I agree totally on the "unnatural" point. Name me a physical object that can make loud noise at 20hz with zero harmonics, zero noise, just a pure sine...? I can't think of one. The ear doesn't know what to think about it, so to speak. But of course, being able to produce unnatural sounds like...
  6. kemmler3D

I'm a fan, personally. However, I can't claim that it's very obvious while listening to music, unless you compare cans with terrible distortion and ones where it's very low. I have the Sony MDR-7506s (based on Amir's review the distortion is completely out of control) and at that level it's not...
  7. kemmler3D

My recording of Alinde wind Quintet in Carolinum hall of Charles University, Prague

Nice recording, has a bit of that "you are there" quality I guess due to minimal processing and a good capture. :)
  8. kemmler3D

I'll bite: Yes, but in the case of headphones you would also need measurements of your own anatomy, since that affects the sound. And it would be pretty hard to interpret what the measurements mean in terms of a subjective experience, but it is possible in theory. There is also potentially...
  9. kemmler3D

Enough volume but not enough dynamics?

Got it, that makes sense.
  10. kemmler3D

Dispelling the speaker break in myth with Beat Kitchen and Kali Audio [video]

But who are we going to believe? You, someone who makes speakers for a living, or a random guy who has heard a lot of speakers in his day and knows what he heard? ;)
  11. kemmler3D

How can you acquire a quality system for my cafe without breaking the bank?

65dB without a distance is actually no better than saying "it must be a bit quiet". Hopefully the inspectors know what they're doing. Good luck with that. :)
  12. kemmler3D

Depending on how you count it, weed is cheaper than booze. ;)
  13. kemmler3D

Maybe at this point we are talking about a headphone amp not being able to drive a certain headphone... definitely possible. What was the headphone?
  14. kemmler3D

Right, I agree. DACs are not going to be going non-linear unless something has gone pear shaped.
  15. kemmler3D

Sad but true. If the "magic" was attainable at any time then we'd be called wizards. My advice for getting the magic back... think back to what you used to listen to and how much better it sounded when you set up the new system. Pay attention to what you noticed the first time, of course it's...
  16. kemmler3D

Sounds like you did a good job setting up. Could be you just adjusted to the new setup. Could be listening fatigue. Could be you are just tired. Come back when you are rested, in a good mood, and maybe with beverage of choice and the magic will be there. :)
  17. kemmler3D

If you are using powered monitors then the DAC is probably not diminishing dynamics in any real way. Nonlinearities come into play when an amp runs out of current or voltage, or the speaker itself hits limits of some kind. But I do think highly dynamic music like classical, played loud, would...
  18. kemmler3D

Effects of 2 vibration isolation devices (waterfall plots)

Look at the graphs again. Higher curves are worse. Looks like the vibrapod made things worse than the plain speaker in this case. My personal feeling based on intuition, zero data or science, is that the right isolator will depend on what you've placed the speaker on. For example, it's said...
  19. kemmler3D

Correct, but it's not that hard to push speakers (or weak sources connected to demanding transducers) out of linearity, especially if we have 20+ dB peaks in low frequencies, or something.
  20. kemmler3D

How would you answer these questions? (Acoustics Insider Darko Interview)

Sorry if I quoted from your post in a way that made you sound like Darko! Of course his words are his own. :) I certainly agree with what you're saying about what it takes to succeed on Youtube. First and foremost the algorithm has to agree with you. For that, random Youtube viewers have to...
Top Bottom