Search results

1. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent." I'm showing example excerpts from a real, commercially released recording (Eckart Runge cello, "Transitions", Capriccio C5362, 2019, track 5, 15 seconds starting at 0m10s). The intercept point between the spectrum of that segment of...
  2. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

What was the point of this comment? Did you try it yourself? Pay attention to the parameters...
  3. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

Room noise doesn't sound like hiss. It sounds like room noise, and the difference in spectral character is very apparent. Recording of a different concerto from a SACD rip overlaid on the previous one. Note that by 10KHz the noise floor is down by 12dB, or 9dB A-weighted. And yes, before...
  4. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

Sigh. Are you telling me that I won't hear the dithering noise in this? Even without the dither the quantization noise is very clearly audible. This is the exact same output level I was using for my listening tests earlier. Generating this in a higher bit depth and then using Audacity to...
  5. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

BTW, lest you think I'm just picking on this recording, the most recent recording I have of this concerto is from 2019 and I'd be shocked if it was recorded at less than 24-bit. It's louder than the older BIS recording (-33dB for the first movement) and ambient noise from the venue is more...
  6. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

Yeah, that was a bit sloppy, but cranking up the volume during the quiet part is what I was getting at. The -48dB RMS measurement was over a two minute span and it's not a fade but a very quiet cadenza. It's absolutely reasonable to want to turn that up a bit knowing that you'll have to turn it...
  7. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

No need to be sorry. I should have been more clear. The recordings with a small amount of noise above 17KHz I would consider as having noise either from the ADC or some PCM->DSD->back to PCM process, but noise shaped dither will create the constant smear of noise I showed in the first screenshot.
  8. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

I haven't yet run across a CD in my collection that has pre-emphasis on it. I'm sure they're out there, but even the oldest CDs in my collection (purchased in the mid-to-late 90s) have IFPI codes which dates them to 1994 at the earliest.
  9. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

It's not necessarily a function of either of those. It can be part of the ADC, but it can also be used to shape quantization noise during conversion from a higher bit depth master to a CD quality 44.1/16 master. Sony demonstrated their Super Bit Mapping technology in the early 90s (see this...
  10. darmok

Noise shaped CDs

I'd been under the impression that noise shaping for CD audio has been around for quite a long time and was being used pretty much universally on high dynamic range recordings. However, a quick look through my library finds very few CDs that actually show evidence of noise shaping. Sometimes I...
  11. darmok

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

They're running a combo deal with Schiit for an Asgard 3 and Aeon RT Closed, and the Drop X versions are on sale as well, but neither of those are the Noire if that's what you're looking for. The only other "sale" worth noting is the 10% off Headphones.com gift cards sale, which when combined...
  12. darmok

Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire Review

I also found the Hart Audio cable to be incredibly microphonic w/ the Closed X. When I'm sitting at my desk and working it's not a big issue, but if I'm trying to relax in a more reclined position the cable rubs on my shirt as @paudio describes. It's a shame as I like the interconnect system and...
  13. darmok

E1DA Cosmos ADC

I'm not sure I'm understanding your first sentence correctly - are you saying that there are 20 units available on Aliexpress? If so can you provide a link to the correct vendor to buy from? The ADCiso and Scaler both look interesting, but I already have a USB isolator and the APU on hand which...
  14. darmok

E1DA Cosmos ADC

Is the Cosmos ADC no longer in production or in a parts shortage situation? I tried to order one from HiFiGo, who said they had it in stock, but now they are saying that "the number of E1DA Cosmos ADC is limited" and will not be able to ship it. I see some on AliExpress but I'm not sure if those...
  15. darmok

Apple TV and bit perfect / native sampling rates

I'm putting this here as a cautionary tale in case anybody else wants to try to cleverly fix this particular problem. It's well known that the current Apple TV models will only output 48KHz, even when streaming lossless music in Apple Music that originated at 16/44.1. I had the bright idea of...
  16. darmok

Cute new schiit speaker amps

Thank you @Hatto for actually pulling out your scope and taking some measurements. A couple of points: 1. The experiment I performed is significantly more pessimistic than using a signal like M-noise and looking at crest factor, since I effectively used a crest factor of 1 and set the peak...
  17. darmok

This isn't relevant unless you're trying to EQ your bookshelf or floorstanding speakers into giving you subwoofer-like bass. Without EQ, the output of your typical two-way speaker takes a significant dive below 50 or 60Hz (referenced to constant voltage) and there's nothing that amplifier...
  18. darmok

There's a lot of arguing about how much power you need in this thread but not a lot of empiricism being applied to the question. No transient is going to be louder than a pure tone at 0db, so determining whether an amp has "enough" power is a matter of measurement and listening. Let's take the...
Top Bottom