Search results

1. Julf

Stereophile and Audio Cables

Of course there is a difference - silver sounds clearer and sharper, copper softer and warmer. At least in sighted listening - magically the differences seem to disappear in proper double blind tests.
  2. Julf

Benchmark AHB2 Review (Updated Measurements)

And you believe you can judge it by reading some audiophile magazine review? :)
  3. Julf

I guess on any of the hundreds or thousands of subjective audiophile sites...
  4. Julf

As long as you remember that their source of income is advertising...
  5. Julf

Your opinion is noted. You like what you like, and it is probably very different from what I like, but if I want to find out if a piece of gear is well designed and capable of accurate reproduction of a recorded signal, without distortion and coloration, I know my measuring instruments are...
  6. Julf

I am sure everyone agrees as long as we are talking about the sound that reaches our ears. What happens between the ears is another matter. That is why only double blind listening tests count. I'd suggest that it all depends on the definition of "better". Are we talking about the traditional...
  7. Julf

No need for apologies or take cover as long as you realize that we won't put much weight on your personal, subjective perceptions and preferences - good that you found something that works for you!
  8. Julf

Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Review

Pretty much any cable with the right size plugs will do - it is DC at very low current, so even a few strands of copper will do...
  9. Julf

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

"Look until you find something that confirms what you believe": :) As to the videos, remember that anyone can post on youtube. And they do. Many of us refer to PS Audio as "BS Audio"...
  10. Julf

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

Which channel was quieter before switching? Could still be the cable (at the XLR end).
  11. Julf

NAD C298 Stereo Amplifier Review

Are you sure the problem isn't the source or cable?
  12. Julf

Lyngdorf MXA-8400 Purifi-based 8-channel amp

By increasing the output level by 3 or 6 db?
  13. Julf

They did. By the 1980's, they had figured out to make pretty much everything but the speakers and turntables audibly transparent, reproducing the original recorded signal accurately. That is when they realized that to stand out from the competition, they needed to create gear with "house sound"...
  14. Julf

You say that like it is a bad thing. The ideal of HiFi ("High Fidelity") is accurate reproduction of the recorded signal. Sure, some people want salt and ketchup added to their food even in a michelin-star restaurant. :) Better give up. You can't. Modern recordings are art pieces in...
  15. Julf

To her, the gear might have been black boxes, but hopefully you aren't a black box to her - that is why single blind is not good enough. People are very good at reading other people and their expectations, without even being aware of it.
  16. Julf

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Just curious, what specific degradation is that, and what is the mechanism that causes the degradation?
  17. Julf

Apollon NCx500ST Stereo Amplifier Review

Indeed. OK, countries with lots of wind, hydroelectric power or sun aren't doing too badly, but the ones who wound down their nuclear plants can only blame themselves.
  18. Julf

What is the point of upsampling?

Ah, yes. BiS has some really excellent recordings. Oh I miss the contributions from @j_j .
  19. Julf

What is the point of upsampling?

My mistake, I should have written "a noise floor well above 16-bit quantization noise levels."
Top Bottom