Search results

1. J

Linkwitz LX521.4 - new build and impressions

I’m not sure if this simulation takes into account that the woofer section is an H-frame, and has a bit more path length distance from front to back than if it was a flat baffle. It won’t change the results drastically, but perhaps a bit.
  2. J

The one thing I want to tell people who are building this speaker is that they absolutely need to try them out *as designed* before heading off on some quest to improve what is perceived as a probable shortcoming. What you’re saying is totally correct, he was very knowledgeable, thorough in his...
  3. J

I once used the LX521 full range for movies downmixed to stereo and I found that the woofers (I don’t call them subs) had a very hard time with the LFE. I had one bottom out or clip the 180w amp channel and that was a bit scary. Highpassed at 40hz, I think you’d be able to play *quite* loudly...
  4. J

That’s pretty cool! I don’t know how it translates to other speaker designs, but I can say that in the size of rooms I get to use it in the 8” woofer does not have large visible excursions, and seems to have plenty of clean output for music.
  5. J

Andrew Quint Reviews the Unique BACCH-SP Stereo Purifier

I’ve heard the Bacch SP playing through a set of Kef LS50, and it was remarkable. How do you measure it? I’m not sure. I can tell you that binaural recordings were spooky real, with sounds moving around very clearly in 3D space and moving above the ceiling and below the floor, with pretty much...
  6. J

Grimani Rixos

That sure looks convincing on the Grimani! I have the 6FE100 here and am trying to get a box together to test it against the RS225 (which I also have and have tested- pretty great driver!) and the 8c, which I have on short term loan. Hearing that the 6FE100 is in the Grimani definitely gives...
  7. J

Grimani Rixos

Did you see it confirmed somewhere that it uses the 6fe100 and not some custom variant? I’ll agree they sure look like it, but the Dutch and Dutch 8c woofer looks an awful lot like the Dayton Reference RS225 but when you see them side by side it’s clear they aren’t identical.
  8. J

spatial audio speakers

I’ve heard these and own the LX521. In my opinion the Spatial M3 had a few fairly predictable issues when I heard them. The one that bothered me the most was the off-axis response; I felt like the directivity was too uneven and too narrow and I heard some really significant changes in timbre as...
  9. J

Suggestions for thin on-wall speakers?

This is true, but I think the issue is the same as for an in-wall speaker. The waveguide that I’m using in my prototype has fairly constant directivity and so it sounds good off axis, but I think I get your point that if I prioritize narrower dispersion too much then it could end up working...
  10. J

Suggestions for thin on-wall speakers?

This is something I've been working on for a DIY design; a shallow on-wall speaker that I'm pushing to be five or even four inches deep. I'm still working on the data (will be very interested to see what @hardisj shares too), but my hope is that with a wide baffle and large woofer and waveguide...
  11. J

Speakers that produce astonishing soundstaging/imaging?

It's not cheap, but you can just order a pair of LX521 now: https://linkwitz.store/ I have found that by rotating the baffle you can get them closer to the side wall than is strictly recommended, however there's no flexibility on maintaining minimum space to the front wall. They absolutely do...
  12. J

Monolith by Monoprice Encore B6 Bookshelf Speaker

I'm really looking forward to seeing some measurements of these!
  13. J

Grimani Rixos

Thanks! That's definitely in the range where I would make a DIY inspired by the Rixos unless I had a major change in circumstances.
  14. J

Grimani Rixos

I've been trying to learn more about them, but I haven't really found a solid price sheet anywhere to see if they could possibly be within my means. In general I like what I see.
  15. J

Upgrade path from a Denon AVR-X3600H?

I use the X3600H and I found that my bass was significantly improved when I used two subwoofers and did most of the integration and EQ in a MiniDSP 2x4HD and let the Audyssey take over for the last little bit. Seat to seat variation was reduced, the overall response is flatter, and it overall...
  16. J

Volume through walls of speakers with rear bass drivers

I think that dipole subwoofers are one of those things where "in theory" there would be less bass leaving the room, or the bass would be directional, but in practice I have not found my LX521 with dipole subs to be any less prone to sending bass throughout the house. I have also found extremely...
  17. J

They can move quite a bit, like I see them moving from my seat. What's remarkable about them is how much they can move without making extraneous noises. I do think that you can have success with other woofers, especially if you highpass them and also use a conventional subwoofer for the lowest...
  18. J

Murphy Corner Line Array

Why yes, I've heard a couple of pairs and helped to build them! One thing that they do quite well is midbass. They skip the speaker boundary interface problem on the front and side walls, and they don't seem to energize vertical room modes much at all or have problematic bounce off of the floor...
  19. J

I’m sorry if I’ve created some confusion with my description of experimentation- yes, the system needs to be built and used as designed. No, it’s not condoned or a good idea to separate them, but you can’t hand me a speaker like this with a DSP that allows easy digital delay and expect me not to...
  20. J

It's both. I've experimented moving them separately, and there are different deleterious effects for each. Moving the bottom section closer quickly reduces the bass output. As it gets within a foot or so of the wall it's a very noticeable reduction in bass. I found that three feet is really the...
Top Bottom