Search results

1. G

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

When you test things this way you don't decouple ADC from DAC. To test AD and DA independently you need to drive the ADC using an external calibrated and measuring-grade device and record the DAC's output using the same or similar device.
  2. G

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

This would have been a more perfect interface if: Volume knob for main outs or switchable source for headphone out (channels 1-2 or 3-4) Toslink/digital in (so it can work as a standalone DAC) Digital mixer to tame the main outs Still trying to find a good interface w/ independent volume for...
  3. G

Why do streaming audio players seem to be useless and overpriced bling to me?

This idea that your UI is ideal is another big disconnect in your world view.. the last thing many of us want is a big screen when listening to audio. I go on my phone and pick what I want to listen and that is my preferred UI experience: minimal. The last thing I want in the world is a laptop...
  4. G

It would have been better to start off outlining your your point of view and what your world is like. This thread unfolded the way you did because you made sweeping comments that don't make sense except for someone that sees home audio as DIY hobby. Many of us have been down that road but then...
  5. G

Are Mogami cables worth it?

Mogami and neutrik are pro tools tested to be abused in the studio and on the road. For a home user that changes things a handful of times a year it is unwarranted. But if you like nice things they will feel nice, sure
  6. G

RME ADI-2/4 Pro SE - RIAA mode measurements

Interesting RME is exploring the vinyl RIAA land. Another engineering driven company in the Pro Audio world that has done this for over a decade (2?) is Metric Halo. People have used ULN-2 and more recently ULN-8 as their preamps. These audio devices have DSP onboard that allow you to implement...
  7. G

I totally agree on the Mini! I got ZA3 from a fellow that threw in a wiim mini for cheap and initially I was very disappointed with the RCA out.. hooked up my usbpre 2 and all of sudden this is now an amazing setup. Very easy to stream from Spotify from everyone in the house and I can also play...
  8. G

This is an interesting but what do you have in each room as a DAC?
  9. G

DSD -> PCM conversion workflow

Right, I'm thinking I will probably just go with the "why not" approach and just do 24/88 (1:32 decimation).. :) Then I just need to worry about the gain adjustment.. But I still don't quite understand why XLD it asks me to choose a SRC algorithm if I put 88.2 sample rate but it doesn't if I...
  10. G

DSD -> PCM conversion workflow

I've got a wiim mini and my DAC does not even understand DSD so I'm looking at converting the few SACDs to PCM so I can easily stream them. My rationale brain says I should just convert them all the way down to 16/44.1 but seems like most people decimate to 24/88.1.. and well, more is better...
  11. G

Fosi ZA3 TPA3255 Mono/Stereo Switchable Amplifier, and vs Aiyima A07 Max

This is normal in pots. What you want to do is go less hot into the amp so that you're not listening very close to the lowest position of the pot controlling the volume on the ZA3. You can do this in the DAC ( potentially digitally) or in a preamp if you have it. I need to dial down my USB pre...
  12. G

Ls50 meta alternatives - life after VR-1

Yeah, I live in the tundra :) I don't see any old stock of R3 anywhere. The ls50 meta promo is still possible to get directly from kef Canada it looks like.
  13. G

My cursory view of the specs also led me to believe the ls50 meta would have a bit better bass representation. The system is pretty competent when it comes to bass in general, I love how snappy it sounds listening to vulfpeck stuff. It's just that yeah, you don't feel it as much of course. My...
  14. G

No sub, just pure stereo bliss :)
  15. G

I totally get your point.. in my mind I would get something new to try out and compare. Thanks for reminding me of the R3 size and aesthetics, I don't think it would go very well with my living room either.
  16. G

Hi, I currently listen on a pair of Von Schweikert VR-1 I bought used over two decades ago. I took an hiatus from stereo listening due to life happening and I've been recently enjoying the amazing sound you can get so cheaply. I've been thinking about listening to new stuff in the speaker...
  17. G

Fosi Audio's First Dual-Mode Balanced Amplifier ZA3

I currently have a sound devices USB pre 2 between a wiim mini and the ZA3. This is night and day compared to mini's DAC but I digress... Since the ZA3 can take balanced I'm using that from the USB pre 2 but I hear it overloading ZA3's balanced input since distortion is obvious. USB pre 2 specs...
Top Bottom