Search results

1. M

Maintaining a phono preamp over time

It's all very reasonable and I agree. But with these DJ oriented carts there's emphasis on ensuring it's skip-free when the record is being physically handled. And truly they are much more resilient when set up to the specified weight, nothing like the expectations of hifi. I think that would...
  2. M

It's true, and I'm completely aware of this... hence the comparison. However in my simple tests the difference is not pronounced enough at these weights. However, yes you're right, I am not introducing this extra variable when trying to diagnose a difference or problem. it would take some...
  3. M

Now I love the idea of this. Mainly because I can think (perhaps ill-advisedly, in my ill-informed newbie) of a few ways it could be fun to do things differently. Mainly that I'm surprised that the first thing a preamp does is to ground one side of the turntable input, which I assume is...
  4. M

It's interesting. This unit in your photograph has a large voltage regulator. If you check my original photo, mine has something looking more like a transistor -- I assume it's still a voltage regulator but smaller and lower rated? My unit would be dated around ~2000, so perhaps a newer design...
  5. M

Thanks for all your replies. Yes, the spirit of my question was more general, so the replies explaining the major components and common failure modes are very insightful and exactly what I was hoping to understand, thanks. Yes, I could measure this specific device but it's unlikely I could...
  6. M

Just returned home to the wealth of information in these replies. Thanks very much for these explanations. I'll read them carefully and reply to some of the questions, hopefully tomorrow.
  7. M

I have a Project "The Phono Box" preamp which I have been using for 20+ years. I'm capable of soldering, and have a little understanding of electronics. What parts should I be looking to refresh? It has been making a muffled crackle when switched on from cold, for many years. Because of this...
  8. M

Do Audiophile Network Switches Make a Difference (video)?

Came here to see if this was already being discussed. It's brilliant. The audacity of those 'modifications'. And fair play to Linus and team for the explanation of TCP/IP etc. and the other technical aspects which is accurate at the level it aims for. Disappointed they didn't look up the source...
  9. M

A more scientific approach to a room which lost its 'soul'

Just to follow up this and now a few weeks has passed and I got to actually listen to the music I enjoy. I keep converging on everything as I started but with a sock stuffed in the bass port of the speakers. That was the single biggest improvement. I suppose low frequencies may have had some...
  10. M

Hi, thanks for the tips everyone. I spent yesterday evening tinkering. I picked on understanding the peak that is centered around 55Hz and if it's at the root of why I feel the room is lacking life. It's not something that I'll say has ever been an irritation, but using a tone generator and you...
  11. M

Thanks, there's definitely scope to experiment here. I doubt I can clearly identify the panels, as there's no markings. But there's also the possibility to put them between the mic and speaker and measure them. I have plenty of the 'high tech' ones to experiment to the sides and in the bay...
  12. M

It's 2ft, which is really the only practical position. In the measurements, moving forward didn't seem to have a significant difference in practice or in the measurements, though I may be missing something in the results. They're 2.5" thick. A dense foam material, looks like the same used or...
  13. M

Hi everyone, thanks for the assortment of suggestions. I'll try and answer everything that was raised, and then I'll show you some more results from experiments tonight. EQ'ing: I don't think this is the the variable I'm looking for. I have the amp's bass+treble for now and whilst a bit of tone...
  14. M

Years ago my employer was vacating, so there was lots of acoustic treatment (from meeting rooms) which I repurposed for home use. Perhaps too much! Now I have a measurement mic and a calibrated SPL meter, so I'm sharing results and looking for guidance. The problem: the room has, in a way...
  15. M

Digital amps, and upgrading from Q5 Pro; V200?

So, a brief update. I did upgrade from my Q5 Pro, but chose a Denon PMA-50 which I bought second hand for ~£200. I concur with a review of the PMA-50 posted here, which is it's a nice little amp and none of the quirks of the cheaper class D amp. If I understand correctly, these amps are both...
  16. M

There was a review of the Q5 Pro posted recently. So, it sounds like I'm basically interested in how far along this graph I am running. I don't have anything to measure with, but probably not that high most of the time. With my listening levels I must be 1W and 2W at most (though that would be...
  17. M

Well, I may agree. I've spent a bunch of my working life deliberately applying distortion to audio to 'excite' it in some way, too. I never really thought to start testing my hifi with sine waves though(!) but perhaps it's worth a go for an experiment in exploring this amp, if I check my...
  18. M

Ha, thanks for these, though I don't think I even need to look up the price :) Though I have seen their D3020; I see now they do some others as well. That C238 looks interesting feature-wise; but only at 50W 4 ohm. I wonder if it omits the analogue intermediate stage. It's priced a little more...
  19. M

Thanks, that's good to know. I'm interested... when we say an amp would 'struggle', from an electronic/scientific point of view, what's going on there? Specifically with class D. I can intuit that when one of these amps hits its upper limit it generates a square wave -- no more voltage...
  20. M

Don't worry, I'm not under any illusion what Class D is. But my understanding is that some amplifiers, like the Q5 Pro do not internally have a traditional DAC, and that they drive a PWM signal directly from a digital source. Hence my clarification of my interpretation of "pure digital" and that...
Top Bottom