Search results

1. D

Bands you just didn't 'get' initially

I imagine the majority of us are middle age and up. Most pop music has been absolute garbage and rock is on life support since the mid 90's imho. My favorite aspect of the emergence of streaming is digging in and discovering either hidden new bands or exploring older stuff that didn't grab you...
  2. D

Acts that made the Leap from a Live Album

Dickey Betts just passed...RIP. So I'll nominate the greatest rock live album of all time: The Allman Brothers, live at the Filmore East.
  3. D

Simple living room system: what would you do?

Tough to get both TV and 2.1 for that budget. Music: SMSL AL200 with Neumi bs 5 and cheap sub TV: cheap Dennon AVR with HDMI Arc and Neumi bs 5/CS5 with cheap sub Start with blue tooth and later upgrade with Wiim and dac. There's paths for other upgrades too.
  4. D

KEF Blade 2 Meta review by Erin's Audio Corner

I heard these a couple months ago when amp shopping for my new Linton's. I wish I hadn't. The enveloping sound in that room was unreal. They look like something off the set of a Star Trek episode. Only good thing about the visit was my wife realized my hifi purchases are 'reasonable'. Lol
  5. D

Preamps do make a difference..

In retrospect, I probably should have titled this thread with "CAN" instead of do. I think the improvement I hear is due to the the better implementation in the PT1. It has an all analog path and probably more effective high pass processing. This is just a guess, I'm not engineer. I...
  6. D

Good power, bass mgt, HPF, small footprint, good sound... what's not to like with the A300? What really sold me over other chi-fi was the remote! My office stack of A300, Wiim mini, su1 dac, and sony blue ray, makes a compact stack on a small shelf.
  7. D

I just got the A300 2 weeks ago and concur with the tweeter hiss in my Paradigm Studio 10's. It's a very functional, small unit and it doesn't bother me when music is playing. This is for my "leftovers" hodgepodge office system.
  8. D

Yes. That is my chain and I planned on trying this exact comparison when I get a chance. I use a blue ray player as a cd transport and Wiim into the Modi. Also have a SMSL su1 I could sub in too. Ironically, I'm not yet convinced that dacs make much of a difference when we are speaking of...
  9. D

The Denon is a 2.1 100 watt stereo receiver, not sure of the model offhand. It has a HPF and I used it. The HPF cutoff is not listed in the Manuel. I tried direct mode, but never liked it at my listening volumes. To much of a V curve for my preference.
  10. D

Hearing test..

Interestingly I did some of the free online tests. They mirrored my results with the professional audiologist. So, it is a place to start.
  11. D

I just wanted to share my experience. I think a lot of subjective reviews are "full of it" but the difference was very clear. The Dennon was a 2.1 100 watt stereo receiver of good reputation years ago which is probably why adding the new A2 amp didn't make a big difference with 160w. Swapping...
  12. D

Anyone Here Have an Emotiva PT1 Preamp?

Will do. Im not big into vinyl so it may be a simple ground or my lower Audio Technica player. I'm just not that knowledgeable. The amp is dead silent on all other inputs.
  13. D

Hearing test..

I'm 52. I have shot guns, hunted used chainsaws, & been to many loud concerts. I have also had mild tinnitus for as long as can remember. For the most part I have been as careful as possible to use hearing protection and only hunt with silencers now (absolutely legally). My left ear bugs me...
  14. D

I've been slowly assembling my primary system for about a year. Phasing out my older Denon/Paradigm system for Linton's and new electronics. Started adding an Emotiva A2 amp using my older Denon receiver as a pre-amp and didn't hear much difference at moderate volume; it probably is more...
  15. D

Anyone Here Have an Emotiva PT1 Preamp?

I just got the PT1 this week. I really like it thus far. You can't touch the functionality for $400. Only negative is I get some speaker hiss in phono mode. I don't play vinyl often and haven't trouble shot it yet. 95% of my listening is cd and streaming.
  16. D

NEOHIPO ET30 VU Meter Speaker Switcher Review

I really like mine. Fun product and actually useful. I adjust the gain so the arm swing goes into the RED at 80db. Helps me keep the volume at safe levels. It is also interesting to see the dynamics between good recordings and highly compressed recordings where there is little 'bounce'. Set...
  17. D

I have had this for a couple weeks and love it. It's bling, but I think even my wife thinks it is pretty cool.
  18. D

RSL iA255.1 Class D integrated amplifier discussion

Wow, those are obviously related products! RSL basically added a sub out and HPF.
  19. D

RSL iA255.1 Class D integrated amplifier discussion

I'm debating between this and SMSL a300. Rsl is a great company but I really want a remote control. I like how this unit is more sold state with switches etc.
  20. D

Thanks GPJ. This was my guess; thank you for the diagram. I should be in VU nirvana in about 2 weeks.
Top Bottom