Search results

1. Coin3

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

@georgew2 See the post linked below from Kali. Also, in the post they quoted, sweetchaos goes over some of the differences between the IN-5 and LP-6 v2. I don't really agree with saying that the IN-5 is better just because it costs more, though. You would have to do a blind test comparing both...
  2. Coin3

Preference curve for speakers and headphones....I still don't get it....

Another possibility could be that your HRTF deviates significantly from average in the cymbals' frequency range. How you hear sounds in free space sets the reference point for what your brain considers neutral. If the frequency response of your headphones on your ears boosts those frequencies...
  3. Coin3

Kali Audio IN-8v2 (Second Wave) 3-Way Studio Monitor Review

I've been more invested in headphones since getting into this hobby, so I can't compare them to much. My only other "decent" speakers are Micca MB42X that I use nearfield with an 8 inch Dayton subwoofer, so this is a huge upgrade. I think it will take a lot more use of the IN-8 to notice any...
  4. Coin3

Here are my first impressions using the IN-8 V2 as living room speakers: 1. Definitely loud enough. Using RCA from a miniDSP 2x4 that only outputs 0.9 V, I actually had to lower the gain below half to keep the max volume at a comfortable level. 2. Big and blocky. My wife hates me now. They do...
  5. Coin3

Based on this, the UMC404HD's max output is +3dBu. The standard for DACs with XLR output is 4V, which is about +14dBu. You should be able to gain an additional 11 dB of output just with a new audio interface. I don't know exactly what would be best in your situation, but Amir has reviewed plenty...
  6. Coin3

I agree that this is likely the case. The Adam T5V doesn't appear to have a published sensitivity spec. The IN-8 V2 is specced at 97dB SPL @1m (anechoic) for -10dBV input. That seems fine, but we can't directly compare to the T5V. My IN-8's just got delivered. I'll report back later about my...
  7. Coin3

Sennheiser HD560s Owner's Thread.

Yes, thank you for detailing the issue so well! I have noticed creaking on my pair sometimes, but I never thought too hard about what could be causing it. I'll have to see if I can lubricate that area as you described without making a mess.
  8. Coin3

Just put in my order for a pair of the IN-8 V2's! I will be using them as living room HT speakers, about 12 ft away. Excited!
  9. Coin3

Asian music & artists

小林美香 (Mika Kobayashi) I had the pleasure of seeing her perform live, both in the states and in Japan.
  10. Coin3

Virtual 7.1 Surround Sound processing in Headphones

Yes, you still take a picture of your ear for their algorithm to generate an HRTF for you. In my experience so far with the object baaed spatial audio in FFXIV, front-back localization as well as top-bottom localization works pretty well. As far as comparing the spatial accuracy between 7.1...
  11. Coin3

I believe Embody collaborated with the FFXIV team to integrate their system directly into the game with object based audio processing. A generic solution (their HIVE software or something like HeSuVi) takes the 7.1 audio output from the game and then processes it for headphones. At best this...
  12. Coin3

Embody just released a "gamepack" for Final Fantasy XIV Online that enables spatial audio processing in the game using your personalized HRTF. I tried it out last night, and I was quite impressed! It was really easy and quick to set up, and the results are definitely better than what I could...
  13. Coin3

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

I am looking at getting either the LP-6 v2 or LP-8 v2 to use as TV speakers in my living room. I'm in an apartment so we can't go too loud, but would it still be better to go for the LP-8 for mid-field listening (about 10 ft, or 3 meters)?
  14. Coin3

I argue that while our minds do adjust for hearing imbalances in a normal environment, it does not apply while wearing headphones. I am not able to detect any hearing imbalance using my speakers, but can with headphones. I have found that each of my headphones produce hearing imbalances at...
  15. Coin3

I bought the HD560S right when they came out, to see how it would compare to my HD6XX. I also own Hifiman Sundara, and for closed-back listening I have AKG K371 and DCA Aeon 2 Noire. They all have their differences when it comes to stock sound signature, but after adjusting each to my liking...
  16. Coin3

Dan Clark Stealth Review (State of the Art Headphone)

I'm not sure about the Stealth, but I bought the Aeon 2 Noire and found that while the earpads are vegan, the leather portion of the headband is actually genuine leather, not vegan. This isn't stated anywhere on the product page, so I let DCA know in a review on their site and hopefully they can...
  17. Coin3

Hey it does have a built in headphone amp, though. Maybe he could test that and try out the vibration feature as a bonus.
  18. Coin3

For comparison purposes it would be nice to have a post-EQ distortion measurement. I know that it can be roughly interpolated based on the distortion levels at each volume, but as you know actual data is more convincing and easy to compare side by side.
  19. Coin3

Based on subjective listening tests, how would you compare these to the Aeon Closed RT (with EQ)? Are the cheaper headphones lacking in any way such as clarity or soundstage?
  20. Coin3

ANIME.. Anyone?

I'll let my desk setup speak for my taste in anime.
Top Bottom