Search results

1. M

Erin's Top 5 Speakers regardless of price (June 2023)

I suspect it's just an artefact of the whole "top 5" schtick. Maybe if he'd done a top 6, or maybe if he hadn't felt the need to include a range of different types of speaker (active, passive, floorstanding, standmount), he'd have included the Kii 3s. These things are always pretty artificial...
  2. M

When did you last listen to live music

Well, if you're taking a trip to London any time soon ...
  3. M

When did you last listen to live music

We're regulars at the Wigmore Hall -- maybe 10-15 times a year. Our next concert is the Bach St Matthew Passion tomorrow at St James's Spanish Place. I love the Wigmore Hall: it's a bit like walking off the street straight into someone's (super-sized) front room. We don't do much rock/pop, but...
  4. M

JBL 4367 in the house

Mine arrived a couple of months ago. Once I got the LF correction sorted, the sound was pretty damned good. (And in case anyone's worried, the sofa in front of the right-hand speaker is now no longer in front of the speaker.)
  5. M

Does something like this exist?

At least it didn't give you hives!
  6. M

What is going on with audioSCIENCEreview…

So all the chemists who study the properties of man-made compounds aren't doing science? And the tests of the effects and efficacy of man-made pharmaceuticals aren't scientific?
  7. M

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Yes, it requires a minimum of 5 mic positions and can compute a maximum of 13. At least that was the case when I EQed my speakers with Dirac Live earlier this afternoon.
  8. M

The most common dictionary definition is along the lines of: treating non-academic things in an academic way. For instance, trying to make art adhere to formal and overly intellectual rules. Hence the (disparaging) term “academy poet”, as in F. R. Leavis’s brilliant description of Tennyson as...
  9. M

Well exactly, and very nicely put. (I would have responded in an altogether harsher tone than you did, but I’m trying to keep to a vow of not getting angry online.) Another point that needs to be borne in mind is that “academization” is necessary and desirable. These subjects can take years to...
  10. M

$30K Budget - On the quest for my "end game" speaker

'Ithaka' (C. P. Cavafy, trans. Phillip Sherrard) As you set out for Ithaka hope your road is a long one, full of adventure, full of discovery. Laistrygonians, Cyclops, angry Poseidon—don’t be afraid of them: you’ll never find things like that on your way as long as you keep your thoughts raised...
  11. M

Stream or own?

I agree with all of that. One other thing that should be said about Sonos is that it’s commercially powerful enough to make other companies, e.g. streaming companies, need to put their services on its system. (Which is why we started talking about Sonos in the first place.) I’m pretty...
  12. M

Stream or own?

I was one of the first people to buy Sonos in the UK, back in summer 2005. Early adopting is a risk, of course. But it’s turned out very well. None of the Sonos units I’ve bought have failed or given any trouble at all. I’ve had 18 years of reliable use. And without any fiddling and faffing...
  13. M

Stream or own?

But the rest of my family (wife and two daughters) would also have to make the switch to a different system, and that’s simply not going to happen.
  14. M

The Upgrade Treadmill and the Hedonic Treadmill, Audio Upgrade-itis.

I think things are simpler. Modern capitalism wouldn’t be so successful if it hadn’t found ways to press some pretty powerful subconscious levers in us. The snake-oil and tweak merchants appeal to our desire to feel cleverer than other people. The high-end “audiophile jewellery” industry...
  15. M

Upgrade my system for better instruments separation

This would be my first port of call too. Or buy a reasonably priced DSP room EQ unit like the miniDSP SHD Studio. The beauty of this, apart from its being super easy to use, is that next time you move house, you just run the process again and it adapts your system to the new room.
  16. M

Stream or own?

So it turns out that AirPlay doesn't work with my (rather old) Sonos kit -- a motley collection of ZP120, ZP90 and Connect gen 1 boxes. I was expecting (irrationally) that AirPlay would be fine because Spotify Connect works with the old Sonos kit, but not so. So the only way to use Apple Music...
  17. M

Why does my music start sounding crappier once I go past 70db on my AVR ?

If making two round-trips (to pick up the speakers and return them) is too much, you could ask the hi-fi store(s) whether you could take your amp with you for an in-store demo. Not quite as good as a home demo (because the room acoustics are bound to be different), but at least it'd give you a...
  18. M

Why does my music start sounding crappier once I go past 70db on my AVR ?

Do you have a local hi-fi store that sells the Lintons or Polks and would let you try them out at home? That way you'd be much less likely to make a purchase you end up regretting. Alternatively you could buy from a seller with a good returns policy (but be sure to read the small print first!)
  19. M

Exactly. Apologies for not being more explicit.
  20. M

This is also exactly where I'm at now, after a long-ish journey via several well-known (but not always good-sounding) speaker brands. There's a cost for large speakers that are engineered to have flattish on-axis and smooth off-axis response and that don't get shouty when driven hard. That cost...
Top Bottom