Search results

1. M

Modern Multi-Bit DAC vs Delta Sigma, specifically AKM's newest flagship, but also others

I'm not sure which picture you're referring to, but are you saying for every bit added to the DAC, SNR increases by 6dB? Is this DAC from AKM (AK4499EX), its 7 bits are actual independent bits, right? Not cascaded? I'm reading both threads at the moment and am going to try to understand...
  2. M

Modern Multi-Bit DAC vs Delta Sigma, specifically AKM's newest flagship, but also others

Aight, sorry for the accusation - one thing that sucks about written communication is that tone isn't easily conveyed
  3. M

Ah, I understand a bit more now :) But the point I'm trying to make is that this is advertised, not as a delta-sigma, but "premium switched resistor" DAC (title on datasheet). It's not used as a 7 bit switched resistor DAC, and (IMO) if we're talking audio, 7 bit isn't premium
  4. M

Do you have any examples of it being used like that? (as a 7-bit R2R DAC) You seem... confrontational. Did I do something wrong?
  5. M

I didn't say it did. I said it did internal processing... like discussed earlier in this thread.
  6. M

But this isn't the datasheet: All of their other DACs are Sigma-Delta, and this one is a "Premium Switched Resistor" The way they include 7 bit, to the less informed, seems to imply the data interface is 7 bits wide. They didn't put 24 bit on the front page because if it's a "premium...
  7. M

I didn't say it was a ladder, ladder type was only mentioned briefly in another post as another option for the resistor network for a multi-bit DAC. "The AK4499EX is a new concept Premium multi-bit Stereo DAC with newly developed Switched Resistor technology" I'm disappointed because it's just...
  8. M

The 4191 does 64 bit processing internally, and the 4493s accepts 32 bit signals, but we're talking about the D/A conversion stage in the chip, specifically
  9. M

By this do you mean using the outputs from both channels of a stereo DAC for the same channel like is commonly done?
  10. M

This really makes me mad. I'm not mad because the E70 Velvet sounds great, but I'm mad at the deception. If it's not a premium switched resistor stereo DAC, don't call it a switched resistor stereo DAC, call it a DS DAC with an extra bit or two...
  11. M

The L70 (headphone amp twin of the E70/E70 Velvet, which I also have) has one of these internal resistor ladder networks I think. I believe I saw a picture of about 25 resistors for all 200 positions between 0.0dB and -99.5dB
  12. M

So this is a 7 bit multi-bit DAC being used in DS mode? How many bits are AKMs DS DACs then, like the 4493S?
  13. M

I've got all the datasheets now for the new 4499 and 4191. A shot of them connected is in post 9
  14. M

Is this because the resistors are in the chip? Externally, resistors can be made to be extremely accurate. And can't they use lasers now to trim resistors to within like 50 microns? The resistor can be made very wide and tall and thin on a circuit board, and small amounts from the edges can be...
  15. M

My understanding of a basic 16 bit multi-bit DAC is that its very first analog output is 16 pins connected to 16 resistors. The pins power the resistors depending on the data - the data is sampled 44,100 times per second and is comprised of 16 bits. The 16 bits represent the height of the...
  16. M

Put even more simply: it's a 7 bit multi-bit DAC running at a higher frequency which essentially allows it to resolve more bits. Correct? What are the precision issues that come up when you have, say, a 20 bit multi-bit DAC? Are they because the more resistors you have, the more exact their...
  17. M

I don't think it does... The datasheet for the 4499EX does not mention DSD once. The datasheet for the previous 4499, mentions it like 70x
  18. M

I see what you're getting at - it's low level optimization. Digital compensation for the known behaviour of the analog stage. Like negative feedback for the output stage of a power amplifier, insofar as the DAC's input (DAC being amplifier in this case) is modified to optimize its output. But as...
Top Bottom