Search results

1. J

Neil Young PONO player Review

And the string would have to be supported off the floor (or table, or whatever) by a series of expensive proprietary magic columns made with unobtanium.
  2. J

How to determine the cause of dynamic compression

Somewhat similar situation; not sure if I am experiencing (or hearing) dynamic range compression in the playback system, nor whether it exists (to any degree). In playing good recordings of symphonic music, using an ATI 4003 amplifier (crossed over at 80 Hz to subwoofers) driving Revel F228Be...
  3. J

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Thanks very much! So it wouldn't matter if I used the old desktop machine (that I am presently using with REW), or the damn Dell laptop, to use Multeq-X? That is a relief. Now, if anybody could advise me if I can "fix" the laptop, it would be icing on the cake (though probably off-topic...
  4. J

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Forgive my ignorance, but I need advice before springing for Multeq-X. A couple years ago I downloaded REW and bought a UMIK-1. Hooked it up to my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1700), fired up REW and did some measurements, only to find that the in-room measurement fell off VERY rapidly below 50 Hz...
  5. J

Denon AVR-X4800H AVR Review

Monty Python lives!
  6. J

"I hear what I hear and believe what I want to believe, and if you find fault with that, you all have tin ears. Also, you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny"
  7. J

Double-blind testing might change your opinion(s). Human hearing is subject to a lot of factors including confirmation bias, that are impossible to overrule even with the best of intellectual intentions.
  8. J

Thank you for your logic and kind patience...some topics almost invite snarky replies, and you have consistently avoided taking the bait. Good on you!
  9. J

Duuh, what is a Shield?
  10. J

I'll drink to that!
  11. J

Thanks for your post. I haven't had the $ courage to sign up for Dirac, and am very curious about it (also considering the Audyssey $200 product). Would love a report on the Dirac!
  12. J

And let us not forget Roseanne Rosannadanna (Gilda Radner, Saturday Night Live, RIP)
  13. J

Maybe you could bi-wire something for the spiders?
  14. J

Speaking mostly out of ignorance here, but I vote yes for three-channel. Several experts have noted that for movies, almost all of the dialog and much of the sound comes from the center channel (low bass is not an issue here, or should not be).
  15. J

I think I (accidentally) won the lottery here: External power amp with massive heat sinks for the 3 front channels, receiver's internal amplifier for the surrounds and overheads. This was the case with my previous Marantz SR7011, which only got really hot above the video circuitry. Replaced...
  16. J

I agree 100% with ban25; you don't need the 2K dip ("midrange compensation"); and Audyssey too often falsely detects a phase issue (in my case it's the center channel).
  17. J

Sleazy snake-oil tactics? In audio? I'm shocked, simply shocked!
  18. J

I agree with amper42. You can try the 4200 internal amp channels, and if you then believe you need more horsepower for the center and/or the surrounds, it's easy (if not cheap) to add external power amplifier channels afterward. I started out with an external 3-channel amp for Left, Right and...
Top Bottom