Search results

1. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

I'm sure it can be measured and quantified. And if you put a musical fidelity nuvista tube amp, the matching transistor preamp and find a similar glass tube preamp, measure all three and do double blind testing we can get an answer.
  2. S

Stereophile's Jim Austin disagrees w Atkinson; says tubes have something that can't be measured

like audio in general, I'm sure there's a joke about wan*ing somewhere here but I can't think of it :-)
  3. S

CHORD Mojo 2 Review (Portable DAC & HP Amp)

i closed my eyes and did a blind test :-) I love my Sparkos Aries as much, maybe a bit more. All personal subjective preferences.
  4. S

Is a master clock needed?

did you say master cLock?
  5. S

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

the answer is go digital of some sort. Phono sucks.
  6. S

CD vs hi-res

how do you develop a precise voltage/volume relationship?
  7. S

CD vs hi-res

Nope. It's the SPL we perceive, not the volts.
  8. S

CD vs hi-res

yes we matched volume levels of course with a noise meter, as I worked at the EPA at the same time
  9. S

And frankly the Burson Conductor 3x is an awesome preamp/headamp/dac. and great value as far as audiophile stuff goes
  10. S

EDIT: Jim In my opinion, for a digital source, if you want value and convenience buy a Mojo 2. Amazing sound and portability, I use it on one of my home Marantz/dynaudio systems, my $10k car system and to drive audeze lcdxc and lcd4. The Qutest is better but not worth the extra...
  11. S

Jim In my opinion, for a digital source, if you want value and convenience buy a Mojo 2. The Qutest is better but not worth the extra cash.............. well MAYBE except listening through a Sparko Aries or a Burson Conductor 3x driving Audeze LCD4 or something like my Musical fidelity preamp...
  12. S

CD vs hi-res

I used to sell top end hifi. I still love music and hifi gear. And I'm a scientist, an ecologist, so I understand experimental design. When selling Hifi we did blind comparisons. we didn't have the resources to do double blind. We consistently found differences between CD players, but not...
  13. S

I have some great Marantz stuff driving speakers, but they do a shit job driving Audeze planar headphones. They drove top end Sennheizer dynamic headphones well, but I gave those to my mum when I upgraded to planars.
  14. S

I have a Burson Conductor 3x and a Musical Fidelity X-Cans fed by a Cambridge Audio 840c, also a Sparkos Aries fed by a Chord Qutest. I'm entirely happy listening to the Mojo 2. I also use the mojo 2 to feed a $10k Hertz car system.
  15. S

Message to golden-eared audiophiles posting at ASR for the first time...

My Qutest and Mojo 2 sound awesome xxx
  16. S

I have a musical fidelity nuvista preamp feeding a rotel RB1080 power amp driving some top end Dali speakers. It is a sublime combination
  17. S

I have a Burson Conductor 3x and a Musical Fidelity X-Cans fed by a Cambridge Audio 840c, also a Sparkos Aries fed by a Chord Qutest and a modified marantz cd80. I'm entirely happy listening to the Mojo 2. I also use the Mojo 2 to feed a $10k Hertz/Helix car system. I've never felt the need to...
  18. S

It drives my LCD4, LCD3, LCDXC and LCDi3 all great
  19. S

They are wrong. IF their objective is to solely determine "audible differences" between equipment or any other parameter. If their objective is to assess "listening pleasure" and things other than "audible differences" contribute to their listening pleasure they may be right.
  20. S

Actually it's really simple. You conduct a double blind randomised controlled experiment. Science solved this problem in the 1950s in medical research and it is now used in many scientific fields. It overcomes the placebo effect and allows you to accurately quantify differences between control...
Top Bottom