Search results

1. F

Help? designing a DIY loudspeaker

Well, you have a habit of being insulting, don't you think? I hope someone else understands! The close relationship with Genelec is obvious. I am copying the physical driver arrangement Genelec is using in the W371A. And then I added a coaxial driver to make it full range, which is what...
  2. F

I believe that is inaccurate. My design is a full range 4way/ 4.5 way floor standing speaker with active crossovers. It is true that I placed a special emphasis on fixing the low frequency issues that most designs ignore, but the fact is that only 1 of the 4 drivers plays in the "sub"...
  3. F

I made a build thread over here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/diy-mini-version-of-genelec-8381a-monitors-coaxial-multi-subwoofers.3281891/#post-62760334 I saw that the cabinets were simple, but driver configuration was unconventional on the W371A. They seemed to claim multiple sub room...
  4. F

Not to play devil's advocate, but..... I build speakers that were copying Genelec's W371A cabinets, added coaxial drivers, and ended up with a "mini" 8381A. I didn't pay even close to $70k, so it was cost effective. My primary goal was great multi-sub bass, and my total build cost me less...
  5. F

In my opinion the next step is to buy the drivers you want to use and to build a box out of cheap materials to test. Probably buy just what you need for 1 speaker at first, because once you see the result you might quickly realize that you want to change things. Maybe the drivers don't perform...
  6. F

I wanted to agree that DIY makes the most sense when you want something that either doesn't exist, or is extremely niche and is therefore quite expensive. In those cases DIY can be a great value. I believe it is almost always impossible to DIY an inexpensive product for less than the mass...
  7. F

Comparing Movie Sound Quality when Played as Stereo vs Multichannel

I want to ask a specific question about the mixing and mastering of different types of recordings. But it's a difficult question to ask without getting super sidetracked! If a movie has both stereo and multichannel audio, is there going to be noticeable audio quality difference between the...
  8. F

Measure your C50 in REW and tell us how your bass sounds!

Clarity C50 is the ratio between the sound arriving before 50ms and after 50ms. So high clarity is lack of echos, or delayed reflections, that would make speach difficult to understand. C80 is the ratio at 80ms, and is considered to be better at determining the clarity for music. I've heard...
  9. F

My experience with DIY and it's many frustrations that are not talked about.

Who is it for? You complained about too many bad designs, no scientific rigour, the difficulty of making your own designs, there are people you think are unqualified and hold too much sway in the field, etc. You're not complaining about DIY; you're complaining about life in general! DIY is...
  10. F

My experience with DIY and it's many frustrations that are not talked about.

I'm kind of wondering what the OP's point is. Design is by definition an iterative process, and it isn't for everyone. And speaker design and speaker performance is highly subjective. The reason why someone is attempting DIY is another question. I am highly skeptical that an individual can...
  11. F

TP RA3 Rackmount Amplifier Review

Why not? Because, well... I guess I was busy, and my first look at class D amp kits approx 1 year ago told me it was a rabbit hole I didn't have time or energy to explore!
  12. F

TP RA3 Rackmount Amplifier Review

I'm looking for a quiet amp to drive horns on my multi-way active speakers. Shouldn't this do the job? The balanced inputs are great, and my other components are rack mounted too. I'm already using balanced inputs for everything I can. But I've learned that I don't really understand how...
  13. F

The wait is over: Genelec 8381A point source main monitor has arrived

LOL! I'm glad you found your new religion! It's funny that you think the reason there is only one low volume manufacturer currently supporting the new software is because they have an exclusive license! It can't possibly anything to do with hardware limitations and signal processing...
  14. F

The marketing has officially won! Based on the language you used, I think it is fair for me to reply by asking what reality you live in? You are not making any sense! If this system reduces the need for room treatment, that's fine. But then you list room treatment systems that are...
  15. F

LOL! How you contradict yourself! Is it "...closer to active noise cancellation", or is it "...just EQed and delayed original sound"? Please choose one. It can't be both! (Spoiler: "just EQ and delay" = literally every multi-sub system in existence.) I find it amazing how people can...
  16. F

Come on now! Or should "LOL"? It's called GLM! The built in calibration system integrated into every modern Genelec product.... "Proprietary" means it only works on their gear.... Hopefully you are joking?
  17. F

To be fair, you seem to be in the habit of making broad statements as fact, and you neglect to explain the presuppositions you based those statement on. And when challenged, you fail to give any insight into your presuppositions! So if anything, you misrepresent yourself! If you explain...
  18. F

I might try it to see how close my results are. The goal of my project has been to learn about how this driver configuration works, so I chose to experiment.
  19. F

Correct. I am utilizing the time alignment tool in REW to determine what delay setting to use. The problem I have is that I have to start with one sub and add the others to it one at a time. I get different answers depending on where I start. A made for purpose system should be able to...
  20. F

Yes, moving a single sub will change the frequency response, when playing that sub "solo". When comparing drivers in a configuration like is found in the W371A, I found the differences in frequency response were primarily between 60hz to 120hz. There was very little difference above and below...
Top Bottom