Search results

1. dominikz

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Note that any manipulation of bits - even e.g. digital volume control or EQ makes the stream not bit-perfect anymore. But that is desired if we want to use those features.
  2. dominikz

Looking at the planned feature list for WiiM Ultra (love the fact it will have a display, HDMI ARC and a sub out!), I'd say it would be ideal if they just add a TPA3255 amp with a proper PFFB implementation on top. That would IMHO really cover a huge range of use-cases with potential for great...
  3. dominikz

Did you mean ADC, perhaps, to improve analog input performance? I don't see anything in the measurements indicating issues with the DAC section.
  4. dominikz

Isn't that basically something like Aiyima A07 or Fosi Audio V3? Both got a recommendation too, despite their load dependency. EDIT: Even the quite expensive miniDSP SHD Power (also TPA3255-based) shows the same kind of load dependency. That I personally find unacceptable, primarily due to high...
  5. dominikz

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

@smallwonder As others have stated, if you could find two loudspeakers that measure the same they would indeed sound the same. However, for this it is not enough that they measure "flat" on-axis - they would need to measure exactly the same from all angles all around the loudspeaker. In...
  6. dominikz

Dirac Reviews

Dirac Live gets a clear "A" from me, because I find it provides an optimal level of ease-of-use and configurability for the average user, while still capable of producing very good sounding corrections - but only if an appropriate target curve (which will mainly depend on loudspeaker directivity...
  7. dominikz

Travel speaker

I can second the Sonos Roam recommendation - IMHO very good sound (and nice features) for the size! It was even measured by @napilopez here: link to review.
  8. dominikz

Complex impedance load amp FR influence - WiiM Amp review by Erin

Thanks for sharing! Actually I don't doubt these results at all - I'm not surprised that people are able to hear low-level, low-Q resonances. As far as I understand that is pretty much established to be audible by previous research (and even tracks with my own experience using PEQ). That being...
  9. dominikz

Here's my perspective: I currently use an integrated amp that is both load-dependent (almost 1dB variance with my speakers) and has SINAD of only about 70 (this is the amp). This concerned me for a while so I've tried FR compensation for the specific load variance seen with my speakers, I've...
  10. dominikz

I agree. :) This is how the WiiM Amp frequency response into a dummy "complex load" looks in Erin's review (digitized), note the zoomed-in vertical scale: This is how the same curve looks if I use the 50dB vertical scale normally used for loudspeaker reviews: And this is how this curve would...
  11. dominikz

Entry point for Load Independent amplifiers

Indeed. As I see it, it makes no sense to try and define an absolute target value on power because how much power one needs will depend on individual circumstances. E.g. a 200W @ 8Ohm amp would be an absolute overkill for me because I never even come close to maxing-out my 40W @ 8Ohm amp.
  12. dominikz

I guess it is OK to demand technical perfection even if it is of no audible consequence in many use cases. But we should be careful not to equate technical perfection to audible transparency, because audible transparency is almost certainly achievable much more easily. For sure a big part of...
  13. dominikz

I agree. If you read a few of my recent posts you will see I find the load dependence of e.g. WiiM Amp acceptable - especially given the feature set, usability and the rest of the measurements which are quite OK. EDIT: But I would be happier if it was made to be load-independent. There's no...
  14. dominikz

Personally I wouldn't interpret it like that, at least not without reading the original research. The way I read it is: how audible a resonance is depends on both its magnitude and bandwidth, and broad resonances require less magnitude to be audible. Whether 1dB is the absolute minimum or not is...
  15. dominikz

Note that 5kHz is the fundamental frequency, while harmonic distortion components are at 10kHz, 15kHz etc. According to the above diagram those are at least -75dB below the 5kHz fundamental. Given the low level and high frequency I'd argue that will be inaudible. Also, I wonder how often real...
  16. dominikz

IMHO I don't really see a benefit of testing amplifiers with complex loads, especially since there are no standards defining them. Instead, I'd propose to do amplifier output impedance measurements (ideally including phase). From that and the unloaded ("open circuit") frequency response you can...
  17. dominikz

Sure, here's one (link to full AudioXpress article): You can also find this information in dr. Toole's amazing book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms". However, it is also easy to test this for yourself - e.g. try toggling a +1dB boost at say...
  18. dominikz

It is indeed possible to calculate the response deviations - it boils down to a simple voltage division circuit. In this post (link) I tried to illustrate how this can be done, and compared the calculation result with an actual measurement with the same amp/speaker combination. Unfortunately my...
  19. dominikz

And with WiiM Mini + Fosi V3 combo you have no integrated way to turn both devices on/off. Also, more cable clutter... After years of tinkering with audio systems of varying levels of complexity I can absolutely see the appeal of an all-in-one, easy to use approach of WiiM Amp. :)
  20. dominikz

But you don't have the same feature set that way. E.g. WiiM Pro Plus doesn't have HDMI ARC so doesn't integrate as nicely with a TV. Also, no sub out with bass management. Personally I would never sacrifice either of these (IMO very useful) features for load independence or higher SINAD.
Top Bottom