Search results

1. JakeK

Audio Precision APx516B Review

As this measures beyond the level of audibility I would say it's good enough for reviewing most audio products and spotting anything that is flawed enough to be avoided. Of course the better measurements that Amir does are very much appreciated. I think reviewers shouldn't let the fact they can...
  2. JakeK

JBL Conceal C62 Invisible Speaker Review

I have to agree the style is not my taste. The items they did make wall space for are not what I call beautiful. The amount of cupboards screams utility space and not relaxation. Surely the stuff destined for those cupboards and the cupboards as well belong in a utility/storage room? The fire...
  3. JakeK

JBL Conceal C62 Invisible Speaker Review

I'm not going to vote on these as I've nothing to compare them to. The fact you can get sound coming from a smooth wall makes them amazing and interesting. They don't sound amazing though but they may be acceptable as surrounds. The fact you have to plaster (mud) them into a wall and if they...
  4. JakeK

How About Creating a Modern Cassette Player?

LOL. Every time I remind someone of the troubles we had with tapes they get that thousand yard stare.
  5. JakeK

That's a lot of work to make something that will have a ridiculously bad SINAD no matter how well you make it. I'm guessing a SINAD of 40 at best!
  6. JakeK

Same. Years ago when I still had a high quality tape deck I used line out to my pc and made the best of my tapes into mp3s. They are bad enough to be pretty much unlistenable these days and that's not the fault of mp3 or the equipment used, it's fundamental to the tape medium. I used to think...
  7. JakeK

Just make an mp3/flac player that looks and functions like an 80s walkman bundled with headphones that also look like those classic walkman 'phones. Or make it look much like the one from Guardians of the Galaxy. You could even put a dummy mechanism in so it looks like a tape is playing. Even...
  8. JakeK

Poll: How do you primarily listen to audio at home?

I agree. I voted multi system and none of mine have a subwoofer. It just doesn't seem all that necessary along with all the satellite speakers. Previously I had a 5.1 setup for the TV and 5.1 for the PC and for various reasons I haven't set those up since we moved house and it hasn't mattered to...
  9. JakeK

Poll: Audio Science Review in the World (2024)

The New Forest, UK.
  10. JakeK

I mean for video content where the dialogue and other core sounds are on the centre channel so you miss out by only having 2.0 for multi-channel media (films & TV) and yes using an AVR.
  11. JakeK

I think it's safe to say that for video content 3.0 is better than 2.0 for most use cases. For music I tend to agree that anything beyond 2.0 is not always better. For example $400 sub + a $400 pair of bookshelf speakers + $200 stands is probably not better than a $1000 pair of floor-standing...
  12. JakeK

I agree and I prefer that to having it so quiet all the time. I must remember to do that more even if it seems like a nuisance. Maybe that will lead to more bass becoming more acceptable in our house. :)
  13. JakeK

It does depend how the building is constructed and how much carpet there is. In the past I lived in a flat where I didn't hear the neighbours much and I used subs there sometimes quite loud without any complaint from the neighbours. Now we have a semi-detached house and since the next door...
  14. JakeK

I'd be interested in a poll on mobile listening. Such as over ear or IEMs or vehicle, wired or bluetooth, aptx or aptx-hd or LDAC or just the basic SBC etc.. :) A poll on what your favourite (instead of primarily, most of the time) way to listen to music (not all audio) anywhere (not just at...
  15. JakeK

Same. Just me & my brother. My brother got 5.1 and bigger TV after he saw and heard mine. My mate did get a big TV and soundbar with sub and surrounds after me as well but the surrounds are under the TV as well as the sub as he doesn't like trailing the wires so I don't count that as anything...
  16. JakeK

The reality of my most used option for all 'Audio' and not just music would be the speakers built into my TV. I spend a couple of hours or more every day watching TV with my wife. She demands that of me and I don't mind. So that might be 'Stereo Speakers' or 'Other' but it's definitely not my...
  17. JakeK

Did you vote 'Stereo speakers' or 'It's complicated' ('Multi System')? I would vote stereo in your case.
  18. JakeK

I had to choose 'multiple systems'. The time I get to use my favourite, 2.0 floorstanders in the living room for music is little and far between. Those are mostly used actually 3.0 with the TV and Humax DVR or google TV HD, what used to be a 5.1 setup in my previous home, but the rears and sub...
  19. JakeK

XDUOO XQ50 PRO 2 Bluetooth Receiver Review

This seems like a genuinely good option for adding bluetooth to existing hi-fi. It's not that easy to find devices that include LDAC or even aptx HD. According to the Amazon UK page it can also be a USB DAC for your PC even though the USB input seems to indicate it's just for power. Maybe that...
  20. JakeK

7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM Review

I don't like IEMs in general but I'm still tempted to try the V2 of these!
Top Bottom