Search results

1. Barrelhouse Solly

extremism in opinions

My first modem came around 1990. I remember BBSs as pretty wild and wooly. The word troll had been in use for quite a while. I had a lot of fun with USENET and mailing lists. The main difference I see is that the general availability of the internet and the rise of social media has lowered...
  2. Barrelhouse Solly

(Audiophile) americana and country music? Who likes it? Recommendations?

I love this group. They have a more African sound than the typical pre-WWII mail gospel quartet.
  3. Barrelhouse Solly

Cat News?

Our present cat has a phobic response to the slippers I just bought. At first it was like the cats and cucumbers videos. After several weeks she is now capable of being in the same room as the evil things. I've tried 3 pairs and it's the same. She's normally very interested in feet. She...
  4. Barrelhouse Solly

Cat News?

I play the harmonica and have scared cats with it many times.
  5. Barrelhouse Solly

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

OK, there were two questions. I was responding to the question about wanting distortion far below the threshold of audibility rather than just below the threshold of audibility. Your analogy is to the question about added distortion. I didn't address that.
  6. Barrelhouse Solly

Is it audiophoolia to care about SINAD differences which have no correlation in blind listening tests? H2/H3 distortion 'enriches the sound'?

No, it's more like wanting water where the level of contamination is several orders of magnitude less than the safe level.
  7. Barrelhouse Solly

I dunno. It's like buying a car that will go 200mph. There's no point in it in the sense that you'll never get to go that fast on public roads. Hobbyists and collectors aren't necessarily concerned with practical concerns related to utility. I've always written with a fountain pen. For...
  8. Barrelhouse Solly

What are we listening to right now..

Viols, viols, viols.
  9. Barrelhouse Solly

DIY Streamer based on Raspberry Pi 5

Tried again with a reflash of the SD card. It worked. I didn't try to set up an SMB connection, just used DLNA. That worked. I also tried it as a UPNP renderer controlled by BubbleUPNP. That worked too. I understand that people are having trouble with the local display plugin. I didn't...
  10. Barrelhouse Solly

I couldn't get Volumio to boot. I tried it on an SSD and an SD card.
  11. Barrelhouse Solly

I'm currently using USB to a Schitt Modi 3. Because Moode is still working on Pi 5 support I'm currently running Ras Pi OS using both Squeezelite and Dmediarender. If I use VNC or hook up a monitor I can use VLC or other native software. It works as well as my other Pis. Because both LMS...
  12. Barrelhouse Solly

I'm surprised so many audio companies exist

From the simplest point of view there are two segments to the audio market, the consumer and the collector. Consumers can buy what they want at a big box store. Collectors get pleasure from intensive research and always hope to find a unique device.
  13. Barrelhouse Solly

A surprise on Qobuz...

I read the magazine, once. That was enough. Don't read the gear reviews. I'm nearing the end of my trial period and I think I'm going to stick with it. It's a little more expensive than Amazon but has more of the music I'm interested in--classical, jazz, pre-WWII blues and jazz--and a...
  14. Barrelhouse Solly

Female Vocals: Stunning Recordings You Love

The original, and canonical version of this song IMHO. I first heard it in the car in the late '60s. It was a nearly drive off the road experience.
  15. Barrelhouse Solly

Is Volumio the best 'streamer freeware'?

Just got a Pi 5. I'm running the Raspberry Pi OS. I've installed Squeezelite and gmediarender with MPD. Both work. I use Squeezer on Android as a front end for LMS/Squeezelite and BubbleUPNP as a front end for gmediarender. I haven't tried Moode or Volumio but I'm thinking about...
  16. Barrelhouse Solly

There is nothing holy about the signal

Seems to me that you want the best possible reproduction of the original data. Then at the final stage you can tune it to your personal preference. For years I believed that I should never touch the bass and treble controls. Then I got an AVR with room calibration.
  17. Barrelhouse Solly

Pi Zero 2 W moOde setup fail

I believe that both Moode and Volumio substitute a randomly generated value for pwd/userid ands will display that although they keep the originals in encrypted form.
  18. Barrelhouse Solly

Pi Zero 2 W moOde setup fail

In my experience neither Moode nor Volumio run well on the Pi Zero 2 W if you use the MPD/SMB library. The Volumio DLNA source will work. The smallest Pi that works for me is the 3A+. I think that the size of the library makes a difference there. To install Moode from scratch it's necessary...
  19. Barrelhouse Solly

What makes big speakers sound "big"and smaller ones sound "small"?

I'm not sure that size is the only relevant variable. I remember when I first heard the Advent sub/satellite speaker and was amazed by the "size" I heard. Before that the biggest sounding speakers I'd heard were a friend's Voice of the Theater speakers in a small living room. My experience is...
Top Bottom