Search results

1. NoAudiophile

Bose 901 Series V Speaker Review!

I am utterly confused. You state the microphone picked up 81dB, but you picked up 97dB, and you are saying the data is good? The microphone level was adjusted for the nearfield test (0.3m converted to 1m). Would this have an effect on the SPL coming from the rear, which would have to bounce...
  2. NoAudiophile

Any chance of measuring them at a lower SPL, or adding a footnote to the measurements to reflect the true output of the speakers during the test? Everything else in the review looks solid - It's just laughable that the review states that the speakers are producing 4.5% distortion at 82dB -...
  3. NoAudiophile

I'm just focused on the objective data. At 2.83v the speaker is producing 97dB(from the rear). If you are playing it that loud, you are either sitting pretty far back, and/or you much have a considerable amount of absorption on the back wall and corners. The distortion numbers look above par...
  4. NoAudiophile

Looking at the impedance graph measured by Erin it appears the drivers in this speaker have an FS of around 130Hz, unless there is some goofy wiring going on inside the box outside of ganging the drivers to reach the desired load.
  5. NoAudiophile

If you measured SPL from the front of the speaker for the distortion test, then you can add 15dB for the rear to that SPL based on your off axis information. It measures under 5% distortion with the front putting out 82dB, the rear is blasting at 97dB - in a highly reflective environment the...
  6. NoAudiophile

I have an SPL meter, and I know what distortion sounds like. If you say the EQ was not used and the drivers were in good shape, then I'm trying to figure out what the measurement picked up as distortion. Is it possible that combing was picked up as distortion, or that the measurement did not...
  7. NoAudiophile

I know the 901's can lack clarity, but I am curious about the distortion measurements and listening impressions. Is the distortion possibly from the age of the speakers? This being the Series V means the speaker drivers are at least 34 years old. The electronics in the EQ box is also at least 34...
  8. NoAudiophile

Revel M105 Bookshelf Speaker Review

There is a good bit of research on this. If I remember correctly, the idea is that large sound waves in the modal range are absorbed at lower volume level(with things like couches and rugs), but quickly overcome that absorption as volume increases beyond the capacity of the absorbent material.
  9. NoAudiophile

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Speaker Review

Most corrections that need to be specific to a individual speaker are going to be above 800Hz, if you can get that right and use external data for bass and cabinet correction you should be damn near golden.
  10. NoAudiophile

How flat is flat?

All of the active examples you offered can be corrected with 6dB or less of EQ to get the to 50Hz flat. 12dB or less for passive speakers. Here is the smallest powered speaker I've tested that does it out the box. http://noaudiophile.com/IK_Multimedia_iLoudMM/ It is possible, and it is bare...
  11. NoAudiophile

How flat is flat?

DSP active speakers of even the smallest variety hit 50Hz flat. iLoudMM being the smallest, but there is also Vanatoo Transparent Zero as well as larger options like the JBL LSR305. The port tuning on a speaker may need to be adjusted in some cases, but if you put a sharp cut (48db/octave or...
  12. NoAudiophile

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Speaker Review

I may have overstated, I guess +-1dB for items over $1000 is another category that would be good - but I have seen some obvious inconsistency in higher dollar speakers. The variation is variable by definition, but generally the trends in a speakers response remain regardless of that variation...
  13. NoAudiophile

A certain level of sound needs to be reached for the modal effects of the room to stabilize - fancy way of saying room gain ain't there at low volumes.
  14. NoAudiophile

I'd set these things on fire for that blip at 5kHz. Looks like poor quality control on the tweeter variation, or maybe waveguide bloom that was overlooked in the crossover design. How much do these things cost?
  15. NoAudiophile

How is your dream speaker like?

This is my current dream for nearfield. Getting closer a little bit at a time. Aluminum sealed cabinets, Hypex 3-way plate amp, RAAL 140-15 ribbon, BMR’s, SB Ceramic woofers, and dual opposed Dayton flat 10’s. 20Hz-20kHz flat at 100db nearfield with an even absurdly wide dispersion pattern.
  16. NoAudiophile

How is your dream speaker like?

These were a project with Rick Craig and Kevin Kendrick. Really great looking and good sounding speakers.
  17. NoAudiophile

Behringer B2030P Studio Monitor Review

I did some port plugging tests and probing of the ports with the measurement mic, but I don't remember anything particular showing up. I have a feeling that it's woofer related, and not a port leaking issue. I found I really enjoyed the tweeters on my pair of 2031A's much more without the...
  18. NoAudiophile

Bose 901 Spinorama?

The arrival time stuff is pretty neat. Picked up some of that information looking into prosound installations where the fill speakers for the back crowd is digitally delayed, which makes the sound still seem to be coming from the stage even though it's 1/10th as loud.
  19. NoAudiophile

Bose 901 Spinorama?

I try to stay informed as to all the cool stuff going on in the boutique side of the industry, good to see you here. I like your idea, and was planning on implementing something similar in a stereo soundbar design using the seos8 waveguide with a soft dome and 7 inch revelator in a crossfire...
  20. NoAudiophile

Bose 901 Spinorama?

I wish you luck on this. I spent a lot of time with a measurement microphone in front of these speakers, and never saw a coherent trend. If I was going to do it again I would try a redneck spinorama, as I did in the ELAC 5.2 2.0 review to determine overall power response compared to a speaker...
Top Bottom