Search results

1. G

HTPC: capable, silent, reliable

I honestly can't understand what you are suggesting. Could you better describe the scenario, including connections, cables used, etc.?
  2. G

I understand completely. What I suggested, not having tested it, hopefully will enable you to keep the Windows settings so as to work correctly for browser based audio. The only way to know is testing.
  3. G

I see your problem... it's likely that Windows does something it shouldn't be doing, that is upmixing or remapping the channel somehow. You could try leaving it in stereo (the Windows control panel, I mean), then set both Audio output device and Passthrough output device to WASAPI and have the...
  4. G

That setting (Number of channels) is important for audio you need decoded by the PC. As is the case for AAC, FLAC (both stereo and multichannel) or MP3s, or Vorbis, etc. https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio#Number_of_channels Note that here "analogue connection" applies to formats...
  5. G

Ideally you should set that setting to the actual configuration of your speakers and the same you have set them in Windows Sound control panel. DTS-X and Atmos are not "selectable". If you want them you simply select TrueHD and DTS-HD in the passthrough options (and E-AC3 if you have Atmos...
  6. G

No. It doesn't work like that. Kodi offers two different settings for normal audio playback (decoding on the computer) and audio passthrough (decoding on the receiver). For the first one you can set WASAPI just the same and it will decode any format to LPCM, *except* those you select for audio...
  7. G

You can start from this guide: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=222576 I gather you are running your PC through an AVR via optical/coaxial cable, correct? Or is it via HDMI cable?
  8. G

Not necessarily. If you tonemap HDR, 4K can be quite taxing for the GPU.
  9. G

Kodi does not touch your tags. At all. Zoom Player was the first software I used on a HTPC, in 2007. Back the Kodi was available just for Linux (and the original Xbox). I still hold a top tier license for it but Kodi's way of handling couch use is unparalleled, if you take into account the...
  10. G

Hmmm... if you have a receiver that decodes them, Kodi can passthrough every codec flawlessly, up to and including DTS-X and Atmos. If you play back 6ch AAC you can output it as Multichannel PCM. If you don't use a receiver but have multichannel speakers connected to your PC, you can encode in...
  11. G

I play games on the same HTPC. I have two very different power profiles for both the GPU and the CPU. When I start Steam the performance one is activated and when I return to Kodi the power saving one is back on. As such, through FanControl, I can manage very quiet operations when watching...
  12. G

I connect my RTX 3070 to my AVR and that to my TV. I use Kodi DSPlayer, already described above this post. Zoom Player was what I used when I first built a HTPC in 2007. Back then there was no Kodi for Windows, let alone the DSPlayer fork.
  13. G

Both. I see a difference in 1080p too, which I suppose was what you were interested in. I am not saying that a HTPC is easier to operate, or as easy, than a Shield. I am just saying that both have a reason to be. Personally I am too used to the absolute flexibility granted by a HTPC to give...
  14. G

You tell me you disagree but you don't explain why and then you go on to speak about price, which, for the level of expense, might not be a concern for everybody. As far as upscaling is concerned, there's plenty of in-depth research available online. No solution among the best available is...
  15. G

Only limitation concerns Dolby Vision. With proper specifications you get unrivalled upscaling through madVR or mpv. And LOTS of stuff is not and probably will not ever be available in native 4K.
  16. G

Audyssey's Next Generation of Room Correction (MultEQ-X)

Just got a new Denon. While waiting for Dirac (if it gets a correct implementato), I would be curious to try this. How much does one lose in functionality through the iOS app? I have a 12.9" iPad with Bluetooth mouse and I would rather go that way, considering pricing and licensing. Also, is...
  17. G

The most overrated and underrated headphone you tried?

Underrated? I must be living in a parallel dimension. I've always seen them held in high regard.
  18. G

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

With the amount of bands it uses, the difference is negligible. I distinctly remember seeing an example of a modified FR chart with parametric and Wavelet. I searched for it now but I cannot find it, sorry.
  19. G

EQ Software for Windows, Linux, macOS, iOS/iPadOS and Android.

I would suggest using Wavelet for Android. It even offers a way to import personalized curves in addiction of the whole AutoEQ database.
  20. G

Turning bookshelf speakers on the side (horizontal) vs upright (vertical)?

So you noticed a big difference? Do expand on this, if you can. Thanks in advance.
Top Bottom