Search results

1. CheapskateCCAOwner

Review and Measurements of Chromecast Audio Digital Output

Thanks. Actually, the cheapest route may be a DVD player from ebay or Amazon. I think most (if not all) have a Toslink and/or Coax digital output
  2. CheapskateCCAOwner

I'm not really worried and it doesn't really matter to me. This originated from my response to another poster who asked if anyone else was seeing their D50 was always displaying 24-bit when using CCA. gvl provided a logical explanation as to why this happens, which piqued my curiosity to...
  3. CheapskateCCAOwner

Cool, thanks....this was the route I was thinking of, using foobar 2000 or possibly even Audacity
  4. CheapskateCCAOwner

Yeah, but I don't have a CD player with digital outputs (and I'm too cheap to get one at this point), so I will see if I can find another (free or at least cheaper) alternative. I do have an old DVD player with Toslink output, but last time I tried it, it didn't work anymore, so we'll see.
  5. CheapskateCCAOwner

This seems like a logical explanation. I will try to find a 16-bit streaming source that does not implement volume control (or has defeatable volume) to test on the D50. Thank you for your explanation!
  6. CheapskateCCAOwner

I use a CCA with a Topping D50 DAC, and I see the same thing; the bit depth displayed is always 24-bit, even with a 16-bit stream. The sample rate displays correctly, which I assume is the case for you as well. I haven't really thought about this since I noticed it when I started using the D50...
  7. CheapskateCCAOwner

Closed Thread

This is correct; CCA works similarly to DLNA/UPnP when streaming music files. For example, if you are using a NAS drive to store/serve your music files: The NAS drive is the source (i.e. UPnP server) for both CCA streaming and UPnP streaming The CCA (or CCA+DAC if using the CCA's toslink...
  8. CheapskateCCAOwner

Review and Measurements of Class D Audio CDA-250C Amp

Yes...and other fairly well-known NC252MP-based amps include the Nord One MP NC252 and March Audio P252; if I'm not mistaken, I believe the March Audio amp is in the queue to be reviewed by Amir at some point.
  9. CheapskateCCAOwner

Review and Measurements of Lounge LCR MKIII Phono Amp

I know that Schiit products have mostly measured poorly, and I'm certainly not a Schiit fanboy, but I thought it might be interesting if Amir could test the Schiit Mani phone preamp to see how it compares to the Cambridge Audio Duo (or Solo). The Mani has been highly praised by a ton of folks...
  10. CheapskateCCAOwner

Actually, it's the input stage that some folks (particularly PS Audio) claims makes a big difference. PS Audio touts their custom "Analog Cell" input stage as the big selling point of their S300 amplifier, supposedly differentiating it from other amplifiers using the same ICEPower 300AS1 amp...
  11. CheapskateCCAOwner

I guess the poor measurements really shouldn't have been too much of a surprise; the specs on the Class D Audio website claim a THD of "Better than .02% (normal listening is about .003%)". Assuming this is THD sans noise, Amir's THD+N results of around .009% sounds about right. Still, this is...
  12. CheapskateCCAOwner

Review and Measurements of Essence HDACC II-4K HDMI DAC

And as a bonus, it would likely be far less expensive.
  13. CheapskateCCAOwner

Review and Measurements of Essence HDACC II-4K HDMI DAC

By feeding the HDMI output from a standard Chromecast to this DAC, you now have a direct replacement for the now discontinued Chromecast Audio (feeding a DAC through Toslink); this allows you to use any Chromecast-enabled app, which is exactly what I was looking for ever since Google decided to...
  14. CheapskateCCAOwner

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

Looks interesting! They appear to be using an ICEPower 300AS1 module, plus a 300A1 to cover the 2nd channel. This is the first stereo ICE 300AS1-based amp that I've seen under 600 USD. Would be interested in seeing how this measures compared to a Hypex NCore-based one.
  15. CheapskateCCAOwner

$500 amplifiers to test and review?

In the past 3 months, Amir has tested the following amps. Note that these are speaker amps; Amir has also tested a ton of headphone amps during the same 3 month period: Marantz HD-AMP1 DAC and Integrated Amplifier Accuphase E-270 Amplifier Onkyo M-282 Amp Crown XLS 1502 Amp IRS2092 IRAUD350...
  16. CheapskateCCAOwner

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Got it, thanks! Looking forward to Amir's review of your P252 amp!
  17. CheapskateCCAOwner

March Audio Hypex Ncore Power Amplifiers

Hi Alan, That's a really nice looking case on your new amplifier line, and the capacitive power button on the front panel is a nice "touch", it definitely differentiates you from your competition. I'm wondering if you plan on offering a NC500-based amp as well? Not that I am interested in...
  18. CheapskateCCAOwner

Does anyone know if the standard video Chromecast (or Chromecast Ultra) up-converts or down-converts all audio to 48 Khz / 16-bit? From what I read somewhere (and in the past), that is what the standard Chromecast does, which means it doesn't do bit-perfect audio streaming like the CCA. The...
  19. CheapskateCCAOwner

Yes, you can certainly set up a Raspberry Pi connected to a USB DAC or even a Pi Board such as a Hifiberry DAC, but what about software for streaming via a Music Server to your Raspberry Pi setup? The great thing about the CCA is that you have a good selection of really good Android apps (I use...
  20. CheapskateCCAOwner

The frustrating thing is that Google is discontinuing the CCA because they see it as a redundant device (with all the smart speakers flooding the market right now with Google Assistant built-in). For me that isn't the point of the device at all; I could care less about having Google...
Top Bottom