Search results

1. gr-e

Topping MX5, A new device?

Yes, on 1.02 pressing the mute button in speaker mode muted the power amp (and that's what causes the high pitched noise to come through). On 1.03 and newer they partially fixed the issue by muting the preamp section instead. Unfortunately, this trick won't work for when the headphone out is...
  2. gr-e

1. No issues with connection/range, works fine through a couple of brick walls 2. That depends on your phone's settings 3. No You can connect to MX5 even when it's in standby mode. If the auto on/off feature is enabled, it will automatically wake, switch to BT input and start playing.
  3. gr-e

Well, the speaker pops are very exaggerated in the recording, they are barely audible in person, so not an issue at all. The white noise is just a bad recording, the amp itself has a very low noise floor. The actual issue is the switching noise when the amp is muted, which is hard to hear on the...
  4. gr-e

Vandersteen VLR Speaker Review

The woofer frame is not on the baffle, it's actually raised above it. I'm pretty sure it's designed to be flush with the grille on.
  5. gr-e

So... I got really sick of that noise and ended up adding a relay to the speaker output :D It does look messy, but it works perfectly fine. The 2A relay kinda undersized for the speaker output, but I already ordered a 5A version which should be enough.
  6. gr-e

Look Inside JBL Studio 580

Wire length in mm and spade terminal size in inches
  7. gr-e

Yeah, those screws are also very close to the side walls, you're gonna need a long-ass allen key for that. A thick screwdriver might not fit.
  8. gr-e

I didn't remove the front panel. To open the unit you need to unscrew 2 screws on the back panel and 2 screws on the bottom. The main board is connected to the front panel with a flex cable, so you need to carefully slide out the board a bit, disconnect the flex, and only then remove it...
  9. gr-e

Nah, I just added more thermal paste haha. But that's not a proper fix, the gap is too big for proper heat transfer. I might shorten the plastic standoffs in future, but I'm honestly more bothered with the noise issue rather that this.
  10. gr-e

Some pics of my mx5's insides: A closer look: There's a decenly sized heatsink and a thick backplate for the power amplifier, both using thermal compound: Too bad the heatsink doesn't even touch the IC :facepalm:
  11. gr-e

I forgot that the auto on feature is separate for digital and analog inputs. I enabled it for both and now can hear the noise in standby mode too. Although still no noise when muted. Firmware 1.03
  12. gr-e

Yes it does (at least on windows). Btw, if anyone wants to know the hardware version of their unit, you can see it if you look through this hole: "210926_MX5_V1.6(LYF)" for me.
  13. gr-e

The noise issue was partially fixed in v1.03, that's why it's not mentioned in v1.04 changelog. It's only audible when using headphone out now, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. That said, it's weird that you hear noise when in standby, that wasn't the case for me even on the old firmware.
  14. gr-e

See the comment I'm replying to: it's better on paper for headphones.
  15. gr-e

No updates from Topping since Jan 28:
  16. gr-e

Integrating subs to main speakers with PC software.

EqualizerAPO has VST support and a convolver too.
  17. gr-e

DX3Pro+ better (and cheaper) than either of those.
  18. gr-e

Yes. As of now, the problem has been solved partially, there's still noise from speakers when using the headphone output. We'll have to wait until after the Chinese holidays to see if they can fix it.
  19. gr-e

No, I contacted Topping support and they are investigating the issue
  20. gr-e

I'm happy with the mx5 so far, aside from the aformentioned noise issue. It's well built, the volume knob has a satisfying clicky feel. It has enough power for my desktop setup and the auto on/off feature is very handy (works with BT input too). I think SMSL AO200 would be a better choice if you...
Top Bottom