Search results

1. P

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

Viewfinders and what not generally aren't about how good the shot is, it's whether you spot the shot and catch it at all
  2. P

PC enthusiasts, sanity check my new PC please

That leaves me the part of the guy who posts after the problem is fixed, suggesting something you've tried six times that didn't help
  3. P

A Call For Humor!

Maybe he looks that way to you, but that's not what I saw.
  4. P

A Call For Humor!

Why knot?
  5. P

A Call For Humor!

That dog certainly needs to go out and play, he looks awfully board
  6. P

Can plants act as sound diffusers ?

I don't have enough room in my apartment for sufficient plants to act as diffusers so I pay someone in South America to grow them for me. It's a low-frequency resonance capture credit.
  7. P

Post pictures of anything, with comment...couple words.

That museum is just filled with neat stuff.
  8. P

CDs, Vinyl, or Cassettes

I have piles of cassettes. There's no way I would buy a cassette. Even used it's not worth it.
  9. P

CDs, Vinyl, or Cassettes

It is complicated and hard to generalize. CD royalties are part of a contract signed usually before the music is recorded. For an artist / group's first three or four albums it is/was quite common that they'd get paid an advance and then get nothing at all from album sales. By the time an...
  10. P

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Fuses are overcurrent protection devices and do absolutely nothing for overvoltage conditions. I feel like this has been discussed in many threads. A fuse is to prevent stuff from catching fire if there's a fault downstream of the fuse that results in high current draw. It has nothing to do...
  11. P

That reads like complete and utter nonsense. I haven't worked on a stadium but I would expect any large (or especially tall) facility to be primarily protected by an independent lightning protection network going straight to ground grid, and incoming power isolated with transformers and...
  12. P

I understand Amir doesn't have the facility to test the surge suppression and this wouldn't be the forum for it anyway, but I'll note every serious-business industrial surge protection device I'm aware of is of the parallel type.
  13. P

The Case Against OLED

I'm not sure where in your examples the buyer falls who's primarily looking to get the OLED as a computer monitor. At that point even the 42" is irritatingly large. I did recently pick up an OLED laptop and am interested to see how it works out, my AMOLED tablet has been great.
  14. P

Fan-less silent PC

Macs are awful choices for servers. Their primary advantage is in ease of use in the UI, and for that you pay out the wazoo, and for a server that's irrelevant. The hardware itself isn't anything special and as Keith says above their recent trend of soldered RAM/SSD makes them considerably...
  15. P

NAS for Music Servers

Start your journey, John. Start. The finishing on the other hand...
  16. P

Somehow scary??

I don't get this. You can teach a human, eventually, to check for the daily scaffold inspection tag before use. Why is it so hard to get a robot to do it?
  17. P

Fan-less silent PC

If I was building a box specifically as a server, to store files I considered precious and couldn't just re-download from somewhere, I would want data protection, at least 2 drives mirrored. I doubt Roon needs high bandwidth so SATA SSDs are likely more than enough. For the boot / Roon drive...
  18. P

Fan-less silent PC

The best way to make a music server you don't hear is to put it in a different room. Fanless computers run hot, a necessity of physics. Heat kills hard drives. I have a few AliExpress fanless units, cheap, similar internals to a low-end laptop. As long as you're not actively gaming...
  19. P

Science on low frequency quality?

This is a website for perfectionists. You most likely can get pleasing sound with much less than the "average advice." That falls to taste, source material, whether you are a perfectionist, etc. Also, the "beginner package" for LF is headphones. You reduce the "room" to a controlled, much...
  20. P

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

To some people every ounce and every inch counts, especially depending on how you're getting back and forth from practice / gigging. For bass, most of the really hifi profiler rigs I've seen, to the extent they drive a cab at all, seem to use FRFR PA speakers with built in amplification and EQ...
Top Bottom