Search results

1. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

This would be an issue for lower gain amps like the Benchmark and NCx500 no?
  2. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Thanks for the time to explain this to me and help me better understand what is going on. I now understand you are correct that it's not clipping and the full operation range is 0-4v. In that case, my question then becomes is that significant drop off after 1.4v acceptable or not? I know your...
  3. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Well, and I think we've had this conversation before, no audiophile would want to be sending that clipped signal to their amplifier. To call it acceptable is also not true. Yes I understand the voltage varies with input, and it is proportional to the volume. So if Denons preamp stage is...
  4. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

It’s all the same pre amp section just the low frequencies sent to the sub right?
  5. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

When the internal amps are engaged it clips at 1.4v Amir states this in his review. You are correct when the internal amps are disengaged and the unit is in pure preamp mode it goes over 4v. These units are great in pure preamp mode but they are limited when using the internal amps. That fact...
  6. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Subs allow for optimal room placement of low frequency drivers independent of the needs for directional frequency drivers. And as you said they are much better and delivering the spl required to get high enough sound levels for those frequencies. Plus it removes to power hungry demands of low...
  7. B

New Sony ES 8K AV Receiver Line STR-AZ7000ES STR-AZ5000ES STR-AZ3000ES STR-AZ1000ES

Looking forward to seeing a modern Sony ES series AVR tested! I can’t remember the last time I saw measurements of one…back in the day they were fancy, powerful, with the slickest dsp features and ui.
  8. B

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

While I agree nothing is broken, I contend this is a real issue due to Denons choice of gain structure where the pre out voltage maxs out at 1.4v due to internal amp clipping when using the internal amplifiers. They choose this design with a lower voltage pre amp stage and then higher gain amp...
  9. B

Difference between avr denon and avp( pre mode)

Agreed. The OP mentioned they were not using room correction. So I meant to say they first should start using it. I wasn't clear that I wasn't necessarily saying ARC Genesis was better than xt32+app. But rather, they have already paid for a room correction feature and should use it before buying...
  10. B

The Signal Chain: How do noise and distortion propagate through my system?

Just found this thread. Thank you Don! It has always been an important question in my mind to understand how the complete component chain stacks in order to understand the final value inclusive of the gain structure and clipping limits. This is fantastic. If more people saw this thread I think...
  11. B

Audibility of AVR's vs ASR's better reviewed equipment?

Amir and others have posted much content on this topic. I'd suggest reading these threads to understand what goes in to audibility threshold calculations and preference scores and a more general understanding of what and how things matter to help you decide on what your standards should be...
  12. B

Difference between avr denon and avp( pre mode)

I have both a Denon x3100 and an Anthem mrx1140. The ARC room correction is excellent and would recommend using room correction first as any first step to improve your sound. The main additional difference between the Anthem and Denons is the preamp output voltage range is higher on the Anthem...
  13. B

Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 Speaker Review

Have you tried playing with the crossover frequency? I'd try 80 or 90hz and see what you prefer. You should be able to then turn the volume up and listen more comfortably at a louder setting without feeling fatigued or like it's piercing and you will get that sparkle and airiness back. Klipsch...
  14. B

If you don't already have one you should get a subwoofer for EDM. There is so much low frequency information that you really want a good sub and crossover set so anything below ~80hz is sent to the subwoofer.
  15. B

Does the old DENON X4500H sound better than the new X8500HA?

Please ignore the mansplaining. The fact some folks seem to be ignoring is that you don't like the way the 8500 sounds and you want to change it. As others have said the best way to dial in the sound you want is to use the Audessey app and set the frequency response curve that best gets you the...
  16. B

HEDD Type 20 MK2 Monitor Review

Fantastic to see a speaker manufacturer reaching out to support measurements based reviews. Seems like a good speaker for nearfield listening and low volume/small room listening.
  17. B

ARC Genesis results

You can go into the settings to adjust your target parameters to increase the room gain and bass response. Set a frequency response slope. Watch the YouTube videos I've previously posted in this thread from Audio Advice and Audioholics on how to do that.
  18. B

ARC Genesis results

What targets did you set? Post your results pdf and compare the targets to what others have set in their posted pdfs
  19. B

Welcome to ASR! My general answer is you likely will benefit more from room correction/dsp and adding a subwoofer to get the sound you want instead of replacing the Elacs. Can you tell us more about your entire system and budget?
Top Bottom