Search results

1. R

Meaurements of Hypex NC252MP in bridge-tied load (BTL)

If this translates to the NC502MP, it's a path for Even More Power--a pair of 502MP's would produce nominal kilowatt (probably more like 800 Watts--double PMA's result). If only I had speakers that could take that much power. And a half mile to the nearest house (make that a mile). Rick "who...
  2. R

Class D amp long term reliability

If you can see them partially working, it's probably because you can see the individual LEDs. LED signal displays have used diffusion covers for some years now, so if you can see individual LEDs, the indication is already some years old. Most agencies think LED signal indications have a...
  3. R

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

I wasn’t talking about the tape master, but rather the master cutting, from which the molds for the mothers are made. Hence “when being cut.” Rick “just to make that clear” Denney
  4. R

I'm not sure these have failed, to be honest. The oxide seems find on them by visual inspection. But I don't have the machine to test them. So, no, I'm not sure. The mix-down master tape is 30 years old and the only part that failed was one splice, and those are just adhesive tape. After, we...
  5. R

Sadly, I used 456 through the 90’s. I don’t know whether this 8-track master will be playable, even if I regain access to a Tascam 80-8 like the one that recorded it. The half-track mixdown stereo master (on Maxell tape) is fine, though I’ve had to replace the splices. I need to get that...
  6. R

And the congregation said, "AMEN!" Rick "Preach it, brother!" Denney
  7. R

Maybe we should just shoot them. Rick “just a little reductio ad absurdum” Denney
  8. R

Art? Rick “not unless they lied about who was on the recording” Denney
  9. R

Classical Instruments: Historical or Modern?

I tend to avoid tuba solo literature myself. But the RVW is the best-known concerto for the instrument, so it's going to be played from time to time. I think it ought to be played really well. As big a fan of RVW as I am, my feelings about this work are that he included the humor (when it's...
  10. R

Oh, yes, Toscanini vs. Furwangler--Opus Magazine (RIP) had a long series of articles and letters to the editor on the whole Beethoven Tempo Debate back in the late 80's or thereabouts. I do like Beethoven at the tempo Beethoven marked, and I do like the music punctuated by the sforzandos that...
  11. R

General design stupidity

Yes, I know I mentioned it somewhere back up there. It's part of the overall desire to make everything software-driven to avoid the expense of physical controls. Rick "unsafe at any speed" Denney
  12. R

Too many groups that used historical instruments felt like that was all they needed, and put our recordings when they got things together, not when they were really ready for performance. I feel that way about a lot of the Academy of Ancient Music stuff with Hogwood at the helm, though I have a...
  13. R

Coffee - do you and how do you consume it?

Previously read in this thread: Coffee boiled is coffee spoiled. I've not collected the data to prove that. But I like my coffee, which I make with water at about 195-200 degrees F. Rick "doesn't like coffee that forms scar tissue on the tongue" Denney
  14. R

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

Yes, tracks have been independently laid since multi-track recorders were first used. It was common in the 70's and probably earlier to lay a "backing track" to which other musicians would play when laying their tracks. Sometimes, the tape multitrack masters were transported to different studios...
  15. R

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

Here's the spectrum of a tuba (a 58-Hz low Bb), measured by me at least 25 years ago: I've heard systems that make a tuba sound like a euphonium, or a horn sound like a trombone. In the former case, a lot of odd-order harmonics de-emphasize the spacing of the harmonics, and emphasize the...
  16. R

Audibility thresholds of amp and DAC measurements

Correct, and consistent with my experience. My hearing ain't what it once was. But when I listen to ABX comparisons of distortion levels with real music, I run out of the ability to detect a difference around -36 dB of harmonic distortion. That means an amp with 1% THD (-40 dB) is as effective...
  17. R

There is something very, very wrong with today’s music

My wind symphony actually played a concert with The Rogues, which is a piping band. Nothing about the programming fell into the bagpipe stereotype. Rick "whose opinion of bagpipes didn't change, but did think well of the pipers" Denney
  18. R

Trying to understand the turntable/vinyl world...

Well, maybe 1980 performance. But thank goodness educated users not subject to BS propaganda who nevertheless desire to listen to their old vinyl are not required to use boutique stuff built recently, when there is relatively inexpensive quality vintage stuff from when before it was a boutique...
  19. R

Too perceptive to have been fooled, those golden ears. But when it comes to ex post facto auditory perception, nobody is as expert as those golden ears. Rick "whose last MoFi purchase was a CD" Denney
Top Bottom