Search results

1. B

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

AFAIK only the original IN-8 -- the one with the shiny woofer cone -- has a significant noise floor issue. The "2nd Wave" upgrade supposedly fixes that by using "new and improved" TI silicon.
  2. B

Because of the very limited role of the one IN-5 in my setup, I can't say for sure -- but if you look at their respective spec sheets, there's only a 2(!)Hz difference between the published low end limits of the two models. For a strictly "ultra-nearfield" desktop application, you also might...
  3. B

That reflects what Charles and Nate say about the design philosophy behind them: "value optimization." They seem to have precisely located where the dreaded "point of diminishing returns" is when it comes to active speakers -- and yes, the addition of a relatively modest sub low-passed at about...
  4. B

Soundcraft Notepad 5 Audio Interface Review

Speaking of AliExpress, check out this bargain -- I'd love to see it measured! Q-12 Audio Interface Sound Card With Monitor
  5. B

Budget DAC Review and Measurements: Behringer UCA222

I recently bought four of these for utility use at $9..99 apiece with free shipping on sale at Sweetwater -- and just now it went back up to $29.99. $9.99 seems about right.... :cool:
  6. B

Kali LP-6 Review: Studio Monitor

Now on sale at zZounds until 1/1/23: zZounds Kali LP-6/LP-8 v2 Sale
  7. B

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

In my experience, even the cheapest imaginable Fastons aren't ferromagnetic at all and therefore not made of "steel." That even goes for the ones found in "home handyman" assortments from Harbor Freight, a very "bargain basement" chain of tool emporiums here in the U.S. -- even a neodymium...
  8. B

This fact illustrates the successful implementation of Kali's stated marketing philosophy and engineering goal of "value optimization." I for one admire and applaud Nate and Charles for getting that done with respect to multiple products, which in my experience is far from easy!
  9. B

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

Which part of "FWIW" didn't you understand? :cool:
  10. B

Behringer Truth B2031A - how truthful is it? (review / modding)

Being as the Kali is a very recently upgraded design with several generations newer, quieter, and more versatile electronics, I'd venture a big "no." FWIW, I have both Behringer and Kali speakers in my current system -- the Behringers (4 2030Ps driven by 2 Aiyima A07s via a Dayton DSP-408) are...
  11. B

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

Thanks for the update. :cool:
  12. B

Actually, the 3.5mm jack's channels are reversed with respect to the RCA jacks -- an odd A07 flaw (as is the amp's theoretically inadequate thermal management), but not relevant if you're using it to drive an active sub with a proper channel-summing/mixing stage.
  13. B

Behringer UMC204 HD Audio Interface Review

The latest Windows 10/11 driver (v5.51.0) from Behringer appears to (finally!) handle speeds higher that 48kbps. If your experience is like mine, you will get a missing DLL error message on the post-install reboot. If you do, don't panic -- just run the installer one more time and you'll be...
  14. B

I don't hear any timbre shift or discrepancy between the IN-5 and the IN-8s -- subjectively, they seem to have near-identical "voices," with the only discernible difference being slightly less bass extension, IMO a non-issue in the mostly-dialogue center channel role. This makes sense because...
  15. B

FWIW, I have a pair of "2nd Wave" IN-8s and an IN-5 (that model always had "2nd Wave" innards) for the center channel. They are truly excellent in my near field application, especially in light of their very modest MSRP -- add a modest sub (I chose a sealed-box SVS because of space limitations)...
  16. B

PS Audio FR30 speakers

True, but they may well be very interested in a Kii Three system with the BXT option -- IMO that option offers much more bang for all those bucks vs. a pair of FR-30s plus the appropriate first-rate amplification.
  17. B

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

Williamson was no slouch either if he's the guy who came up with the tube amp circuit with that name. I had a Heathkit power amp based on the circuit -- with genuine Tung-Sol 5881s -- that I used with the matching preamp and it rocked pretty hard. I eventually used that combination (with a...
  18. B

The two A07s that drive the four ambience/surround speakers in my system are the older ones with 50V Nichicons, which are apparently holding up just fine at 46VDC after a couple of years. I would trust a 50V Nichicon over a generic Chinese 63V cap every time -- but I agree that 63V would be...
  19. B

As I understand it, a "CE" certification is a bit dodgy and just means the manufacturer states that the item meets the relevant safety standards required for sale in the EU and only applies to that manufacturer's designated application category. Good luck trying to get any but the most...
  20. B

Those curves show nearly flat frequency response with a real world reactive load (an actual speaker) and a bright high end with PMA's so-called (and apparently highly) reactive dummy load, which apparently doesn't even remotely resemble the reactivity of a speaker. IOW, nothing about PMA's...
Top Bottom