Search results

1. J

What Is An Audiophile?

Agree that there us no hard and fast line, but getting back to a point I made earlier, most true audiophiles have an interest in the underlying physics and are equipped with enough skepticism to not throw money at improvements for which no physical/pyschoacoustical basis exists. Granted its easy...
  2. J

What Is An Audiophile?

Count me in DSP + DYI + a few decent tools has saved me much $$ and even more uncertainty and misery.
  3. J

What Is An Audiophile?

Cheapest upgrade to ANY system is a two dollar THC gummy. If you seek sonic nirvana that might cost 20 more.
  4. J

What Is An Audiophile?

There are experts present (I'm not one of them) and on occasion a thread will take a deep dive into recording tech. But yes it is primarily a consumer site. Plenty of other forums devoted to recording techniques and gear.
  5. J

What Is An Audiophile?

No those would be audiofools. True audiophiles at least attempt to understand the physical principles behind high quality recording and playback. Granted, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing, but departing the land of reason to pay hundreds of bucks for quarter sized felt discs to put on...
  6. J

Is virtual surround a gimmick?

Short answer: NO! Check out these videos and others discussing the Princeton professors (Dr. Choueiri--a plasma physicist with interest in spatial audio) work in extracting a 3d soundfield from a stereo recording using stereo speakers explained in some detail at A brief overview is seen in...
  7. J

Absolute simplest way to create a crossover using only a computer?

When I get to Belize I will do the Monoprice A/V 16 channel for 4000.
  8. J

Wow this is it--what we have always been begging for! 600 is a steal. Speaking of steals is everyone aware that Amazon is selling the Sundara's for 300. Trying to get a very old chum who made a ton of $$ in the chip biz, to open his fat wallet. That and the Dx3 pro+for 150. Unfortunately he has...
  9. J

I second that: I thought the Octo was SOTA or close enuf to not matter, but I love my Topping DX Pro+. (except the drivers which misbehave on occasion--at least during setup.)
  10. J

Another thought that occurs to me, I do have a very good Amp Classe 500W (true class A) monoblock, thats good for 1000 into 4 ohms and 2k into 2. Its a beast and can run the two in 15's parallel. Course not so good in the summer time, but where I live I have an old fashioned fireplace, and...
  11. J

I suspect just 2 channel I/O. It does have Atmos however--not sure if those can be accessed. I may just need to get an external sound card and hope it plays nice. That or a barebone mini DSP. BUt then I have to worry about getting the filter coefficients right. It's just a stop gap measure for 6...
  12. J

I know the freq at which I want to xo along with the slope and approximate EQ required to get it to target. Right now what I have is a laptop and 4 channel amp. How do I make this work?
  13. J

Apo EQ--is it possible to have different EQ config files for different outputs?

That sounds exactly like what I need. JimBob your answer was helpful as as well. I really don't care that they simultaneously supply different profiles, but being able to toggle one to another from the task bar would be fine as well. I forgot that the newer version of Peace allows you to change...
  14. J

Apo EQ--is it possible to have different EQ config files for different outputs?

I tried sourceforge, and could not find an answer, but under win 11, it gives a list of 5 options that you can choose one or more of. I use the headphone jack for my 1More earbuds, while the USB goes to a Topping DX3 Pro +. I am guessing the answer is no, but wondering if different EQ settings...
  15. J

Has anyone had a jack fail?

So in conclusion, I am the only person that has had a high priced set or earphones fail in this manner? If so I am one unlucky bastard.
  16. J

Well that's spot on--it seems that there (at least inline has no excuse for failure except mostly tensile failure, and finding a workable compromise is not beyond the quarter i With a right angle job, what I have found to be helpful is to loop back the initial lead with say 3 inches of the jack...
  17. J

Thats good info, but I swear that with the best eyes available, soldering was difficult (an attempted splice). Even then I couldn't get it to work. The happy ending was provided by the maker, One More who even though they were out of warranty, they'd replace it. Like how cool is that? So been a...
  18. J

So I have and in discussing the matter, discovered that it is not an unusual failure. That in fact, it was the most common point of failure. I know nothing of whether straight or right angled is more common. But surely a being (maybe even invoke machine learning) out there has this information...
  19. J

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

Is this for real NIB Sundara's for 299.00 WTF, that is to die for price. https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-SUNDARA-Over-Ear-Full-Size-Headphones/dp/B077XDWT7X
  20. J

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Just a quick question--I cannot find the "include:" file that one of the members had found to be a best fit for the Harmon curve, I swear it used to be somewhere in the first few pages of the review. I must be blind, so If someone could post in here I'd be eternally grateful--it was a better fit...
Top Bottom