Search results

1. B

commercial DAP based on Raspberry Pi

Why don’t most Raspberry Pi based DAPs have a screen?
  2. B

where shall MQA be located

I just have a question related to the combination Digital Audio Player + DAC. Shall only one of both be MQA capable or must both be so? If only one MQA capable device is OK which one would you recommend, DAP or DAC?
  3. B

SMSL SD 9 or IFI ZEN STREAM

Key words: multi-tasks, preemptive. One processor + multi-tasks = No real time guarantee
  4. B

Maybe I could share my opinion. Streamers may be classified in two categories: with or without (real time) operating system. With OS: support from software stack, powerful functions, friendly UI, reliable comms but at the cost of poor real time capability such as jitter Without OS: real time...
  5. B

commercial DAP based on Raspberry Pi

Hi, can anyone recommend a commercial DAP based on Raspberry Pi with display and USB interface to DAC?
  6. B

What about the audio performance of SD9 if used only for local library such SSD?
  7. B

S.M.S.L. SD-9 Set-Up and Basic Review

Has anyone compared SMSL SD9 with JF Digital MX-3 or Cayin iDAP-6? All are DAPs without internal DAC. I doubt if one can really hear the difference when connected to the same DAC. Digital data are just zeros and ones. Maybe jitter can make a difference. I’m not sure.
  8. B

decoder in DAP or DAC?

JF Digital MX-3: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2251832676406233.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US Topping E50: https://www.amazon.de/Topping-ES9068AS-PCM768kHz-Decoder-Vorverst%C3%A4rker-Schwarz/dp/B09F2RMRMX Both have an internal MQA decoder.
  9. B

decoder in DAP or DAC?

Hi, sometimes the audio decoder is integrated in the DAP but sometimes in the DAC. Should we take this into consideration when selecting the combination DAP + DAC so that the audio signal is not decoded twice? What would you suggest?
  10. B

testing DAP digital outputs?

Hi, I notice all the DAP test reviews only focus on analog outputs such as waveforms, spectrums and so on. What about digital outputs such as optical and coaxial? Don’t they affect audio performance?
  11. B

Why do many still buy external desktop DACs?

Hi, Most DAPs have an internal DAC. Why do many still buy external desktop DACs instead? For better audio qualtiy? Is it very difficult to integrate good quality DACs into DAPs?
  12. B

sound pressure level due to sensitivity or open (closed) back characteristics?

I think sensitivity is only one side. A portion of acoustic energy is going to be radiated outside of the open-back hp so the volume should be increased to get the same sound pressure as closed-back ones.
  13. B

New Topping L70 is just insane.

If I want to have the SE input (RCA) + BAL output combination, shall I use the RCA input on L70 or better use the XLR input on L70 by means of a RCA-to-XLR cable? Am I going to get the same sound quality or not?
  14. B

Is L70 more A90 alike or A90D alike?
  15. B

the way audio source cennected with hp amp

Hi, how much is the quantative degradation (in SNR, THD, SINAD or something else?) if the audio source such as a CD player is connected with the hp amp through the SE or BAL mode? Maybe some reviews would be helpful.
  16. B

Do you think L70 still has the issue with the power supply noise? I mean linear supply such as P50 cannot be applied with L70 any more. Or can man conclude a linear supply is not necessary according to the specs at https://hifigo.com/products/topping-l70?variant=43527235928303? Can man say this...
  17. B

I was talking about open-back Ananda and closed-back Sundara. I don’t remember the player. It’s not mine, but a conventional portable hardware media player.
  18. B

Ananda stealth vs. Edition XS?

To make it simple, I just want some personal experience about the difference of both hps. Price shall not be an issue at first.
  19. B

Hi, I’m new to this field. I just used a mobile player to drive one open back hp (sensitivity = 103dB) and one closed back one (sensitivity = 98dB) in SE mode. I found out with the same volume configuration the open back hp creates a much weaker sound pressure level. Is this due to sensitivity...
  20. B

Ananda stealth vs. Edition XS?

Hi, Why did Hifiman release Ananda stealth version which is very similar to the earlier Edition XS, similar stealth magnet, similar NEO Supernano Diaphragm, similar ear cups and similar price level? Are there any essential differences?
Top Bottom