Search results

1. Rick Sykora

New Hypex Nilai500DIY modules )

Fyi, might get a faster response from soundimports as hypexsales is likely busy at the Integrated Systems show (gauging by his recent email signature)
  2. Rick Sykora

To keep simple, compare buying a 2 channel Nilia kit to a Nilai build. The kit is about $1300. For the Nilai modules will be $950. This leaves $250 for a case, connectors and wiring harnesses. So, it could be close, but the kit will be considerably more convenient to build. This could scale a...
  3. Rick Sykora

Active bass module plans (for Directiva and more)

Here is a single RS225 vented (white line) by comparison... As you can see, it is very comparable to the 2 ES180s in the Denovo tower. As I mentioned earlier, one major difference is the cabinet height. It is only 24 inches high and so that may factor in to whether it works for whatever...
  4. Rick Sykora

Considerations when plugging ports — what else happens beyond bass response?

The change in volume is minimal. Using a tuned tube to control speaker resonances is a known application. I just thought I would show a measurement as I had an opportunity to illustrate.
  5. Rick Sykora

Considerations when plugging ports — what else happens beyond bass response?

How you plug can make a big difference too. Here is a small vented tower design with dual woofers. It has a longish (10 inch) port. I blocked it externally to get a sealed response and you can see the result... The lighter green trace is the sealed box and the darker one in the same sealed...
  6. Rick Sykora

As mentioned earlier, lots of options but I do not plan for for drivers larger than 8 inches. I have done dual 8 inch RS225s before and found them more than sufficient. The challenge for a larger driver is cabinet size and getting to a height to be used for the monitor speaker. Remember these...
  7. Rick Sykora

correct and have not measured yet. agree, but just being transparent for those who might have different amplification. May be better they consider sealed ES180 or single RS225 (coming soon). The box is already lightly stuffed, but not getting into potential remediations as yet. Agree the...
  8. Rick Sykora

Hypex NC122MP repair : blown SMD component L15

Agree on only fixing what is broke. Particularly for SMD devices. Unless you are really good soldering them, might cause more trouble. Congrats that your effort paid off!:)
  9. Rick Sykora

If you use a computer soundcard be very careful with levels. You can easily damage inputs when they are connected to amplifier outputs. But even measuring at low levels can give you some idea if channels have expected output and they match well.:cool:
  10. Rick Sykora

Let's start with an impedance measure... So can see we keep above 4 ohms but there are some phase swings round the second peak that may be trouble for less robust amps. the port tuning is around 34 Hz and close to the Bassbox model estimate. In case you were wondering, the port is mounted on...
  11. Rick Sykora

Getting back to building speakers as have no more electronics to do. Here is the Bassbox model of dual Dayton ES180TiA drivers in the 1.1 ft3 Denovo tower with a 3 inch round port about 10 inches long.... The vented version is in blue and the closed box is the yellow trace. I will move this...
  12. Rick Sykora

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

How does that idle consumption compare to other amps you have built?
  13. Rick Sykora

Review and Measurements of Hypex NC400 DIY Amp

I had a friend send me his Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 to test. I remember it well as it was a 70 pound beast and a back breaker whenever I needed to move it. Pretty sure it had linear power supply. Gen 3 uses SMPS and is 20 pounds lighter. It appears the amp modules each have their own power supply...
  14. Rick Sykora

Since you already measured 20.5V for Vaux, if you measure 12 volts on the output side of U8, your amp is likely fine. If you want be sure the sound quality is good, you could use REW and an audio interface to check. Otherwise, if you have a local electronics repair shop, they should be able to...
  15. Rick Sykora

Correct, it is insulation. There is no shield (or need for one). Hypex has really paid attention to details on this kit. The end of this wire inside the binding post been terminated with ferrules. p.s. Thought that it might help to let ASR members know what they will encounter with the review...
  16. Rick Sykora

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amp Review

While somewhat OT, good VU analog meters are simply hard to find. The last ones I used were plastic and needed a custom glass bezel to protect them. I looked again today and no real change. With supply chain issues, they are seemingly not a priority. Many legacy products that have VU meters are...
  17. Rick Sykora

I was originally planning a build thread, but the instructions for these Nilai products are really good. Much better than the ones available for the NC400. Not only is there a comprehensive manual but animated video too. My only gripe was the use of wave washers to fasten the end panels...
  18. Rick Sykora

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Not in my experience. :cool:
  19. Rick Sykora

Recommendation for 4-5" driver for DIY Build

ouch, knew the dollar was strong, but stronger than I expected!
  20. Rick Sykora

Recommendation for 4-5" driver for DIY Build

Madisound has for $80 each. Realize you are in Canada, but if Solen wants 50% more, may be worth looking elsewhere. :cool:
Top Bottom