Search results

1. dominikz

Arylic A50+ streaming amplifier measurements

In the very short time I tested the amp I must admit I haven't noticed any issues with the volume control. I've since returned it, mainly due to audible noise (which I also reported in the first post).
  2. dominikz

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

You are of course correct. But I'd make two additional notes: 1) Humans are quite sensitive to low-Q frequency response deviations. A few dB difference is in that case very audible. Much more so than narrow, high-Q resonances. 2) In-room steady-state measurements don't reflect 100% what is heard...
  3. dominikz

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

Thanks for the comparison, but the very large ~120dB vertical scale makes them seem more similar. If you limit the vertical scale from e.g. 40dB SPL to 90dB SPL (50dB vertical scale) it will be more comparable to other measurements on this forum, and it would also show the differences more clearly.
  4. dominikz

High-Performance Desktop Actives - Neumann or Genelec?

I use my KH120A at 1m or slightly less and can't hear any issues with driver integration. I've also measured the loudspeaker at 50cm and 1m and didn't see any disturbances in measurements at either distance. IMHO you need to get uncomfortably close to the loudspeaker to start hearing such issues...
  5. dominikz

Cool! I find that the biggest appeal of the Arylic A50+ is in the very powerful built-in DSP / PEQ, and the convenience of having a small all-in-one unit. Really a shame the amp section isn't a bit better! I cobbled mine together from an old PC fan, some CPU thermal grease, a pair of 8,2Ohm 50W...
  6. dominikz

Small Room - Speaker and Integrated Amp Recommendation

The more I look into this, the more it seems to me that good AVRs are at the moment some of the best value all-in-one solutions (preamp + streamer + room EQ + bass management + power amplifier). Perhaps look at any Denon with "XT32" version of Audyssey MultEQ-X. Another benefit is an AVR allows...
  7. dominikz

monitors for listening to music

Personally I'd probably go with Kali LP-6 2nd Wave (good spin and should have less hiss than V1), but both Adam T5v and JBL 305p are good budget options as well. Whichever you choose, I'd definitely try to pair with a sub - even if you go for bigger monitors. A sub allows more flexible placement...
  8. dominikz

Arylic A50+ Stereo Integrated Streaming Amp

I just posted my measurements here.
  9. dominikz

I believe this was the old A50 (non "+" version), based on the ST Micro STA326 IC amplifier; whereas the A50+ is based on the TPA3116 chip and has slightly different input selection. Old model tested by @amirm (A50): New model which I tested here (A50+):
  10. dominikz

Let me share a few basic measurements of the Arylic A50+ streaming amplifier. The amp is based on the TPA3116 chip and I bought mine together with the ACPWorkbench Tuning Tool app for $152.32 total (shipped to EU) during the holiday sale. A few pictures of the amp: The included laptop-style...
  11. dominikz

Integrated amp for airplay and Spotify connect

Have a look at Arylic A50+. The objective performance is not great (I'll publish some measurements soon) and the device has no display, but the feature set is pretty unique for the price. I'm not sure if it covers everything on your list, though! With the add-on ACP Workbench app you get 8-band...
  12. dominikz

Need some help picking a new set of Studio Monitors!

That will be an amazing setup IMHO, congrats! I use something similar (KH120 + small sub + RME Babyface) and I'd suggest to try and use the RME TotalMix FX 3-band EQ to tame room resonances/peaks in the bass based on moving mic measurements (MMM) and filters calculated with REW. Having only 3...
  13. dominikz

Arylic A50+ Stereo Integrated Streaming Amp

The ARYLIC15 code gives an additional 15% off the already discounted price. I just ordered one and will probably do some measurements when it arrives.
  14. dominikz

Rank studio monitors/active speakers you have heard

While their on-axis response is relatively similar, KH120A and 8030C have quite different directivity patterns: While Neumann KH120 is more even, Genelec is wider at high frequencies - which would likely sound brighter (especially in reflective rooms). (Source)
  15. dominikz

Strange measurement. Is my LSR310S sub toasted?

From the text it seems that Mr. Hidley is considering acoustic treatment and room design only; with these means it can indeed be very difficult (and expensive) to address the low bass but they can improve the sound in the whole room and regardless of source. However bumps in low-frequency...
  16. dominikz

Thanks! Here's the summed port+driver response: Note that the absolute shape of the response might not reflect 100% the subwoofer's real anechoic (or ground-plane) response because difraction effects are not taken into account. However, the shape of the response is less relevant for subwoofers...
  17. dominikz

Ground-plane measurements are usually done outside or very large spaces, ideally where there are no obstacles for ~10m around the system under test. But the nearfield measurements you did are IMHO sufficient to check that the sub response is OK. Would you be willing to attach the .mdat file...
  18. dominikz

Revel M16 Speaker Review

Well no speaker is really a pure resistive load, and their impedance anyways varies quite wildly with frequency. The M16 dips down to 4Ohm in certain frequency ranges, as you can see in post #1: Also, how much power you use will depend a lot on the content you are playing, and the level you...
  19. dominikz

Revel M16 Speaker Review

I'm not sure I'll be able to help much with specific recommendation for commercial amplifier models, sorry, as I don't really have a good overview of the market. :( However, IMHO if you're satisfied to use the miniDSP 2x4 HD as a combined DSP / preamp / DAC you could probably use basically any...
Top Bottom