Search results

1. SuicideSquid

Excessive hissing in some tracks but not others?

As others mentioned on older tracks you might just be hearing tape hiss (my favourite example is the album Minstrel in the Gallery by Jethro Tull which has a quiet hum around 8kHz through the entire album - they finally edited it out on the Steven Wilson remix/remaster that was released a few...
  2. SuicideSquid

PC Gaming Setup / Gear

I have a gaming HTPC with a Ryzen 3600 CPU, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB WD Black nVME SSD, 1TB SATA SSD, and a GeForce 4070Ti GPU connected to a 65" Vizio TV through a Denon X4700H receiver that's currently powering a pair of Totem Forest mains. We're moving shortly and in our new location there'll be a...
  3. SuicideSquid

Recommendation for 4-5" driver for DIY Build

That's super helpful feedback, thank you!
  4. SuicideSquid

Benchmark AHB2 SVS Purifi amplifier?

Either will give you effectively perfect performance at any sensible listening level. Check with Buckeye Amps and see what their options are with the new Purifi and Hypex modules. That's the way I went.
  5. SuicideSquid

$80x2 = $160 + 35% exchange rate = $216 + extra $20 in shipping = $236. Solen's charging $237.76 for a pair.
  6. SuicideSquid

Great Editorial from Sound on Sound

This editorial ran in the latest edition of Sound on Sound. SoS is a magazine more oriented to pro audio / recording and engineering of audio than to home users and listeners, but I think the underlying point of this piece is one well-taken...
  7. SuicideSquid

Pushing the budget a bit at $240 for a pair, unfortunately, but a very interesting driver that I'll keep in mind for future projects. [edit] Solen carries another model by SB Acoustics, the SB13PFCR25-8, that looks to be a similar driver, with a bit less low end and a little more colouration...
  8. SuicideSquid

I'm starting a project to build a pair of bookshelf speakers for a friend. This friend is not a discerning audiophile. His primary speakers for the past 15 years have been a pair of Logitech computer speakers with 2" drivers and a "subwoofer" with a ~5" driver. A few years back I built him a...
  9. SuicideSquid

Totem Acoustics Rainmaker Speaker Review

Part of this I think has to do with the fact that Totem, unlike KEF or B&W, does not manufacture its own drivers. They used off-the-shelf or semi-custom drivers from companies like SEAS, HiVi, and Scanspeak. Until they recently switched from metal dome to soft dome tweeters across most of...
  10. SuicideSquid

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

You're comparing apples to oranges here, since we don't have a comparable graph for the Purifi module you're comparing to, except from the Buckeye amp which has a buffer issue (and which this Hypex module significantly outperforms). As it is, I stand by my previous statement - this is an area...
  11. SuicideSquid

Given that this amplifier has among the widest dynamic range tested, what's your issue, exactly? Assuming your use of "lulz" isn't a Freudian slip and you're engaging in good faith - the rise in distortion needs to be kept in context. Into 8 ohms, THD+N doesn't cross -100dB until 200watts...
  12. SuicideSquid

Not sure I've heard anyone complain of reliability issues with the LA90. This is just a weird comparison generally. They're totally different products targeting different market segments. LA90 is a class AB stereo amp for under $1,000 targeted at desktop or smaller room uses. When this Hypex...
  13. SuicideSquid

One of the nice things about Totems is they seem to hold their resale value very well.
  14. SuicideSquid

At low volume, pretty similar. Amir didn't test the Dayton at higher volume due to several issues he noted in the review, and the Rainmaker handles power pretty well, so at higher volumes I'd expect the Rainmaker to beat the pants of the Dayton.
  15. SuicideSquid

Arro, yeah, they came up earlier in the thread. They actually still make them - https://totemacoustic.com/product/arro/
  16. SuicideSquid

I've owned the Forests for close to 15 years now and they're a really excellent speaker. In all the tests I've seen (and in many years of listening to them compared to the Rainmaker) they're much less-coloured/more neutral.
  17. SuicideSquid

As with anything, it depends on what you value. If you want closest-to-flat-as-possible, these are not good value. But they're exceptionally well-constructed and finished (IMO best looking speaker in its price class by a wide margin at the time I was selling them) and lots of folks like the...
  18. SuicideSquid

All totem speakers do this, including current models like the Signature One. I think it's an aesthetic decision.
  19. SuicideSquid

Vince used to brag about how he tuned everything by ear. The man's definitely talented and has designed some really good speakers, but he's also got some very goofy ideas - like refusing to solder crossover components (they're crimped instead because solder would negatively affect sound quality...
  20. SuicideSquid

Nice! I recently completed a similar build using HiVi 5.8 drivers and SEAS aluminum dome tweeters.
Top Bottom