Search results

1. simbloke

Audio for ms teams, zoom etc.

I use my UMIK-1 and tinny laptop speakers, which are better than the monitor speakers.
  2. simbloke

How is your current speakers placement?

Revel F35s toed in pretty much as shown in the manual, about a 2m triangle.
  3. simbloke

Worst movie ever?

I think I've blanked out the truly worst films, but most Marvel, DC, and super hero movies of the last 10 years are absolute drivel.
  4. simbloke

Suggest lesser-known good Sci-Fi films

Is Being John Malkovich Sci-Fi? I think it counts.
  5. simbloke

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

This could be handy for my NodeRed stuff
  6. simbloke

RPi4 + CamillaDSP Tutorial

A regular Linux distro won't need a script. Just connect a switch to a gpio pin and 0v (there are some that are opposite each other), edit the config.txt, that's it. Pressing the button generates an OS event that causes it to shut itself down, just like a regular power switch. A bare bones...
  7. simbloke

Building a wireless remote volume control with a rotary knob for Raspberry pi - help needed with Python

I've got a fair bit of ZigBee stuff around the house, and it mostly works. No way I'm putting my speakers under the control of stuff that just mostly works! Good luck though...
  8. simbloke

Rewiring a toroidal transformer from 110v to 220v

I would want to check the output of the power supply section without anything else connected, just to be sure!
  9. simbloke

Our phone company has a sense of humor....

Blimey that's so expensive, and such a poor speed. I know what it's like though, it took until earlier this year for my road to get anything better than 4M ADSL. Luckily we went straight to FTTP, for about half that price (and I pay over the odds for an ISP with a clue, fixed address, IPv6).
  10. simbloke

What items have you purchased as a result of ASR?

Just got a pair of Revel F35s after many years undecided about new speakers (my existing ones date from the 90s). They were on sale for £750 so that ended my procrastination! Before I found this place I knew nothing of Revel and could have ended up with something much worse. So thanks @amirm :)
  11. simbloke

Demagnetizing CDs?! (more Techmoan fun)

Yes, Techmoan reviews a device to demagnetize CDs, with predictable results. Matt must be a lurker here surely?
  12. simbloke

Anyone been round with the power meter (UK mainly, all welcome!)

Fridges that use around 100kWh a year seem to cost £1400+
  13. simbloke

Anyone been round with the power meter (UK mainly, all welcome!)

I recently put a power meter on the fridge, it's about 15 years old and using 2 units a day, so 730 a year. This did surprise me a bit as new ones seem to range from 100-250 a year (for the same style/size). Unfortunately the 100kWh/year fridges are very expensive!
  14. simbloke

Amp building for simpletons

Personally I see kits like these as being for people who could do it all themselves but would like to save time getting all the bits together. Myself I was even more lazy and just bought something from Audiophonics.
  15. simbloke

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

Opened in another browser and it works. How pathetic is he?
  16. simbloke

Chord DAVE Review (DAC & HP Amp)

Funny how all the glowing reviews are not accused of having golden samples.
  17. simbloke

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

The old TV show was my intro, then I read all the books. Not really a fan of the film at all. Hope they don't make a new TV series anytime soon give the dross that Hollywood churns out these days.
  18. simbloke

No access to amplifier forum? - 2

I've just seen this issue for myself and since I also use DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials I had another look. DDG is blocking the loading of https://www.googletagmanager.com/gtag/js It seems that when the pages fails to load this then it triggers to redirect to try and load the whole page again...
  19. simbloke

I have noticed that Chinese fonts tend to have serif versions of the western characters. It might also be unfamiliarity with western writing meaning they don't have the same view of what looks good.
  20. simbloke

Amir gets all the faulty gear to review. The more it cost, and the worse it performs, the more faulty it must be!
Top Bottom