Search results

1. amirm

SMSL DO200 MKII DAC Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the SMSL DO200 MKII stereo USB DAC. It was sent to me by member @lunagreenjp who is a distributor for SMSL and costs US $469. Not much to complain about here as it fits the latest design of SMSL line. I like the clarity of the LCD and large volume...
  2. amirm

Digital Audio Jitter Fundamentals

The network clock is not used for anything to do with playback of audio. It runs at entirely different speed that is not possibly useful for audio. That clock determines the speed with which the network interface gathers data. That gathered data is put in memory and then played at the audio...
  3. amirm

Pioneer VSX-LX505 AVR Review

It is lowering the output power by lowering the rail voltages and with it, idle losses.
  4. amirm

The amp *is* clipping earlier. If you just changed the volume, that would not happen.
  5. amirm

ifi iPurifier3 USB Filter Review

I put it in the Enhanced/Advanced mode for these tests.
  6. amirm

Digital Audio Jitter Fundamentals

Adding on to Don's explanation, "data at rest," i.e. stored on a computer has no jitter. The moment you transmit it anywhere, noise and as a result, jitter will be introduced. In digital systems, that noise is filtered out until it can't at which point data is lost. Once filtered, the data...
  7. amirm

ifi iPurifier3 USB Filter Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the ifi iPurifier 3 "USB Audio and Data Signal Filter." It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $149. The iPurifier 3 comes in a gorgeous and nice to feel ceramic (?) enclosure. The enclosure give is enough weight to feel substantial but not...
  8. amirm

Audissey -10dB correction on Klipsch R26FA

Note however that once it takes that out, bass will likely sound too light. You would need to compensate by changes to "target curve." This is done using their app. See my review of Audyssey: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/audyssey-room-eq-review.12746/
  9. amirm

Audissey -10dB correction on Klipsch R26FA

It is not the speaker by itself but the room impact which can easily cause that much peaking/resonance.
  10. amirm

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

That flagging was just because you were one post short of threshold for when our spam filter acts on your posts. From now on, you can post anything and it won't be spam filtered or saved for moderation....
  11. amirm

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

If you mean power drawn, that won't make a difference since the impedance does not change. Indeed, i pushed the Hypex to good few watts and it made zero difference.
  12. amirm

Regarding Impedance NEWBIE ALERT.

I would not go by those specs. Just about every amplifier out there will handle loads down to 4 ohm or even lower as long as you don't crank it to max. And stay there for too long. If the amplifier in the AVR doesn't like it, it will shut itself down.
  13. amirm

My guess would be that supply rails are reduced to make this happen. At least this is what I would do. As such, the schematic may be revealing there.
  14. amirm

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

I am pretty sure Belden didn't want to be associated with this product. But has agreed to build them the cable like they would for any other customer (although letting him use their name). The designer behind this product owns a bunch of PS Audio gear and fell for the wrong impression that...
  15. amirm

Belden ICONOCLAST XLR Cable Review

I vaguely remember it being a custom cable made for them.
  16. amirm

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

As an aside, measuring jitter directly from say a clock requires high-end measurement gear. However, measuring it using FFT spectrum as I show above, is trivial. We are able to use signal processing to significantly reduce measurement noise and then be able to measure jitter down to sub...
  17. amirm

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

Shame that he spends so much time on stuff that doesn't matter, and so little on what does. It is only towards the end that he claims jitter on Ethernet magically jumps to jitter in a DAC. Where are the pretty graphs to show that let alone measurements? Fortunately, we have those...
  18. amirm

Curiosity question: What is "worse"... audio playing through AAC Bluetooth codec or having the audio upsampled to 48kHz?

Assuming the 48 kHz resampling is half decent, by far that path instead of AAC. In my listening tests, AAC over Bluetooth sounds terrible. LDAC is the only choice to use if you anything near transparency.
  19. amirm

RØDE AI-Micro Interface Review

This is a review and detailed measurements of the RØDE AI-Micro portable audio interface (dual microphone input and headphone out). It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $79. As you probably can tell, this thing is tiny! Digital interface is USB-C and dual mics plus headphone are 3.5mm...
  20. amirm

ZeroSurge 2R15W Surge Protector Review

Good point. :) So I kept the unit another day to run more tests. Review is updated with the details. Briefly, I first expanded the measurement bandwidth to see if it is doing anything above 20 kHz (with open load) and it is: I then plugged in the hypex Amp to see if it makes an incremental...
Top Bottom