Search results

1. T

Stereo Crosstalk Elimination (reduction) Par Excellence!

Nice to have a single box that does the trick! And, it works with just two speakers. I used to have a Carver Pre-amp that had that Hologram mode. It was a nice pre-amp all around, with lots of settings for various types of phono cartridges. I really liked it. I have to say though I never got the...
  2. T

OK, I take back the part about the speakers needing to be right next to each other at ear distance apart. My desktop system at work is just brilliant with the speakers spread out from each other and the outside speakers moved forward to adjust the timing. This totally solves the problem with...
  3. T

An audio engineer explains why Dolby Atmos Music is “definitely going to supersede stereo”

I can't prove otherwise. I'll have to listen again and see if the impression sticks. I did some fast switching between Atmos multi-channel and Atmos stereo with Pro Logic Up-mixing by changing the sound mode output on my Mac from 2 channel to multi channel with Atmos set to "always on" in Apple...
  4. T

After listening to a lot of Atmos music in 5.1 channel configuration, and in stereo with up-mixing using Pro Logic, I decided to re-visit this speaker array. I've finally figured out that I can control up to 8 channels of output on my Mac using Audio Hijack, so I can get control over each amp in...
  5. T

An audio engineer explains why Dolby Atmos Music is “definitely going to supersede stereo”

After doing a lot of listening over the last few days I've found some Atmos mixes that I definitely don't like as much as the originals, whether mixed down to 2 channel or in 5.2. Some sound better to me in discrete 5.2, some sound better in stereo up-mixed with Dolby Pro Logic II. This gives...
  6. T

I'm really surprised that old fashioned pro-logic II is actually pleasing me now. I'm sure it's partly to do with my current setup and perhaps changes to my sound perception as I age.
  7. T

So I'm listening to this Dolby Atmos mix that seems to be mono at least for the first songs. Only the center speaker is doing anything. Atmos can be mono!
  8. T

I think compression has its place. It doesn't always sound bad. It's nice to have an option.
  9. T

Great! Thank you! I'll try this Atmos always on. What I'm finding is that I actually prefer 2 channel stereo up-mixed on my receiver using Dolby Pro Logic II Cinema to the multi channel mixes from Atmos. I'm finding the quality of the source material is critical to getting the Pro Logic up-mix...
  10. T

Time vs Intensity Image Stability Experiment

That's new to me! Just sitting here listening to the refrigerator in the background I percieve a slight pitch change as I move my eyes left to right with my head in fixed position. The ringing in my ears also changes. This is true as I move my jaw around too, even more so. I wonder if the eye...
  11. T

It's always nice to have my impressions matching Dr. Griesinger's words!
  12. T

I just tried the test. I found that with -2 dB of the left speaker, the right speaker continued to dominate even as a moved quite a bit to the left. With the .22ms delay it shifts rapidly as I move to the left, and is generally unstable if I don't get close enough to the speakers for the direct...
  13. T

I am also the owner of giant horn speakers, for the same reason as yourself. I also noticed that the narrower I made the treble dispersion the more head-in-vise the situation became. I ended up with wider dispersion horns for that reason and because I actually wanted a little more reverb back...
  14. T

I would argue that Polk's method has some merit beyond that simple case of the Binaural microphone setup. I'm not willing to make the strong statement that regular 2 channel stereo is "broken." But if not at least flawed, it is heavily saddled with 2 channel crosstalk. If you prefer that...
  15. T

To explain my thinking better, let's assume an 8 foot spread of speakers with an 8 foot setback from the speaker plane to the ear. This creates two triangles with a 4' leg outboard from the ear, an 8' leg forward of the ear, and a hypotenuse of 107.33", which is the distance of the speaker to...
  16. T

Yes, it's surprising it works so well, and doesn't seem to require head-in-vice positioning accuracy. This came as quite a surprise for me. I expected this array to deliver some kind of stereo effect but the quality of it really astounded me. As I have stated earlier, I've come to conclude that...
  17. T

I'm hesitantly agreeing that Dolby Atmos doesn't down-mix back to 2 channel audio well. But I'm not sure if that's because I'm not using a Dolby Atmos enabled device that can do the down-mixing correctly, or if it really just doesn't down-mix well. In Apple Music it does seem to sound better if...
  18. T

There could be some truth to the statement, depending on your configuration. If you are a good ways back from the speakers, a slight distance change won't effect the volume difference from the speakers very much, but can change the timing difference just as much as if you were closer. So if...
  19. T

I wonder if my receiver has those options? Maybe they're under the "options" button! I see that on the remote. I'll check it out. I'm with you on the options. It's good to have them and explore them. In the past I've never found any of the upsampling schemes to be adequate, always returning to 2...
Top Bottom