Search results

1. Thomas_A

Liquid metal speaker cable - technological breakthrough

Liquid metal for cables? So soon we have the T-1000? :)
  2. Thomas_A

Preferred Target FR Curve

Can you show the on-axis frequency response with scale 50 dB on the Y-axis? Gated.
  3. Thomas_A

Importance of impulse response

Some asymmetric signals can be audible when you flip polarity or shift phase in bands that cause a symmetry change. Not everone appears to hear it though.
  4. Thomas_A

Importance of impulse response

Not sure why this is discussed. The audibility of phase shift in traditional loudspeaker crossovers is zero if properly executed above 1 kHz or below 100 Hz. Which should cover many speakers. Messing with phase in the ”voice” region may be audible depending on the symmetry of the signal.
  5. Thomas_A

What budget speakers you like to see reviewed?

Some speakers are sent by members, some are bought by Amir to review. I guess Amir focus on those budget speakers.
  6. Thomas_A

Speaker isolation feet

It works, including computer mouse mats, camping sleeping mats (foamy type) etc. Some of them get permanently compressed over time though, that is why I use the Sonic Design feet which are durable over time.
  7. Thomas_A

Front or rear ported monitors in very small room...

I don't think it a questionable approach as long as it is stated by the manufacturer how the speaker is going to be used. I know several that specifies speaker placement. Genelec, actives, have options for adjusting bass for placement. Passives don't generally, and may thus be designed for one...
  8. Thomas_A

Front or rear ported monitors in very small room...

There are speakers designed to be near wall for bass boost. With respect to port distance, it seems to be a lot of speculation of large distances to make the speaker "breathe". It is not so. Genelec recommends min 5 cm.
  9. Thomas_A

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

As in the reference I linked to, DRR, frequency cues, and level are deteminants of distance (some absolute and some only relative). The recording is a separate issue, here I only refer to the distance perception to the loudspeakers. Supressing the distance cues to fool the brain will enhance...
  10. Thomas_A

Thanks, DRR is important but I have found quite few articles for stereo reproduction. First there is the DRR/reverbant energy in the recording itself, but that is something specific for the recording. To optimize the illusion of speakers, there are a number of factors of course, and some...
  11. Thomas_A

And that is why I wonder about the effects of DRR and also , heavy toe in as well. It would affect distance perception or no?
  12. Thomas_A

Yes, of course there will be differences. And I will mix it up with my room, but my model is that my room is a lounge to the event. So my room needs to be in the model and add reflections. The only thing is that the front wall should be acoustically invisible. And still, the question is whether...
  13. Thomas_A

I am aware of the flaws of stereo; however, some cues such as distance and room perception is related to the direct to reverbant ratio (DRR). What you can "play with" is DRR to get an illusion of a psychoacoustic larger distance to the source and increased room size, which may be apply closer...
  14. Thomas_A

I would say number one is close to impossible as well. You would need to know the on-axis and at LP response of the specific studio to come close. And if you get "pinpoint imaging", is that really what is commonly heard live? I have read many commentaries from people that this is rarely the...
  15. Thomas_A

In theory, one could imagine two kinds of speaker setups: 1. A speaker setup that sounds similar to the speaker setup of a specific studio (e.g. main monitors or desk monitors). 2. A speaker setup that sounds similar the live event, e.g. sitting in front of the musicians at the recording event...
  16. Thomas_A

Using a binaural mic set to record one of my speaker builds (finally a decent binaural mic)

Ideally, you should use headphones calibrated for binaural recordings, in this case for in-concha mics. I’ve seen some posts about it but no curve. It is of interest since it gives us at least some tools for listening and comparing speakers in rooms.
  17. Thomas_A

What to do about the ABX test?

ABX is fun! At least when there is a chance to score positive outcomes. That should be the message. :)
  18. Thomas_A

Using a binaural mic set to record one of my speaker builds (finally a decent binaural mic)

I would be interested to know how to EQ such files to be compatible with Harman-curve headphones. Especially the bass becomes a bit boomy. I made a try below with EQ but it is still issues...
  19. Thomas_A

So what is your impression when listening to headphones (which ones)? Is the amount of bass more or less compared to the live event?
  20. Thomas_A

As mentioned before, I had a question with binaural recordings - what should the ideal headphone response look like? Recording a "room" signature and using a "room" signature headphone a la Harman will add double room signatures.
Top Bottom