Search results

1. Shadrach

Making the move to small active lifestyle gear

Same here. I can't hear much above 13Khz I went from large speakers and large boxes to, I just can't be doing with it and just want as decent sound as possible for a given budget. Like NiagaraPete I ended up with Genelecs, DAC and headphone amp and a fanless computer. I've been really pleased...
  2. Shadrach

What to do about the ABX test?

What did you think about what you heard? I assume you've tried file based ABX with a player such as foobar or perhaps Roon if it does that? There's been a lot of posts about the strictness of the test conditions before such a test could be viewed as evidence. Yes it's important but for someone...
  3. Shadrach

Maybe a notice under the ASR logo: We won't shout test if you don't shout listen.
  4. Shadrach

I'm not interested in proving anything.:) My preferences are very rarely based on how something sounds because tomorrow it will sound different.
  5. Shadrach

Can't disagree with any of that. I would hope that peoples motivation for trying ABX testing isn't to pass the test. What it is useful for imo even if not done in the ideal environment is it shows how difficult it can be to differentiate between one thing and another and this is a valuable piece...
  6. Shadrach

True, if one is trying to make a comparison between one and another by ABX. I wouldn't describe it as crucial or even advisable to establish a preference on listening blind. One doesn't listen blind at home I'll assume. As you pont out many other factors other than sound quality have an...
  7. Shadrach

It depends on the test. The case you put forward is not a comparison between two products and not a fair test. Everyone would need to listen to the same system.
  8. Shadrach

Not strictly true this. One ABX test may not prove anything to anyone bar the subject but an aggregate of near identical ABX tests does mean something to others. if 100,000 people take a test and no difference was the outcome then that does mean something and what that means is the majority...
  9. Shadrach

ABX testing is not the correct test to discover a preference. ABX testing should be used to establish whether the listener, in the case of sound reproduction, can hear a difference between one unit and another. The test tells one nothing about whether one unit is better than another because...
  10. Shadrach

Do We Want All Speakers To Sound The Same ?

Thanks for the replies. I was just curious. I did a lot of blind testing and some double blind many years ago for an avionics company. I guess it's spoilt the fun for me you have listening to lots of different system and swaping componants around.
  11. Shadrach

There's hope for you yet.:p Trying to include the differences in recording quality/style is rather different from a replay system. I've heard some very good tube amplifiers that sounded just as good as good solid state amplifiers. Probably wouldn't measure as well. What I find interesting here...
  12. Shadrach

Let me ask you something. If a loudspeaker that measured perfectly became available would you want to listen to it?
  13. Shadrach

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Well, that's what one gets with measurements. One can say they can't measure everything and I don't think anyone here would disagree with you. A stereo system is a machine. It doesn't know anything about music. It's processing data essentially; not music, or even sound. We know enough about how...
  14. Shadrach

Yes but... Matt Hopper didn't ask if we wanted all rooms to sound the same.
  15. Shadrach

It rather depends on what the same is doesn't it. Assuming "the same" is represented by perfect measurements, then yes, all the same would be great. Loudspeakers are a tool just like any other tool. I don't want to find that one brand does the job less well than another. I want all my bifocals...
  16. Shadrach

A Question For Genelec Owners.

That might be the easiest method so far. Good thinking.:cool:
  17. Shadrach

Need Advice on Purchasing New PC

I'm not sure if these will cope with GoPro. It's worth finding out. Otherwise, for the duties you mention, this or something like it will do fine. Ample power music file handling as long as you bear in mind any DSP software you may be using. I have two similar machines now. The first is now...
  18. Shadrach

Limited Participation For The Next Few Weeks...

You've done nothing short of a service here Amir; far and above what any of the readers and contributors could expect. I'm certain none will begrudge you what ever time you need. I hope the lip of that hole is within hands reach quickly.
  19. Shadrach

Who would buy a speaker without listening to it?

There are an awful lot of factors that could influence what one considered to be the perfect speaker when trying to make a judgement by listening. A few of these are: listening space speaker positioning recorded material mood memory price How many speakers would one have to listen to and under...
Top Bottom