Search results

1. tomchr

Neurochrome HP-LOAD Review (Headphone Dummy Load)

When I bought my APx525 in 2014 the AP rep met with me in person. I'm sure I wasn't the only stop on his tour, but it still impressed me that he'd take the time to meet with a customer who might buy one item. This was when I was still in the US and the rep came up from Portland. Gerr Audio...
  2. tomchr

Best measuring tube amp

"For what it is" is the key here. If you want high power and low distortion a single-ended triode without global negative feedback is not your best option. If you want a single-ended triode amp, the DG300B is a good candidate. Tom
  3. tomchr

Neurochrome HP-LOAD Review (Headphone Dummy Load)

Thanks. The APx525 sold over a year ago. Tom
  4. tomchr

Purifi / Triple Eval2 DIY power supply choice?

You mean this? https://neurochrome.com/pages/the-ultimate-guide-to-preamp-design Tom
  5. tomchr

GR Research B24 AC Cord Review

Yes. You're right. The slide mentions 3-prong cords in the context of safety limits. Congratulations. I'm not talking about safety, however. I'm talking about reducing the impedance of a ground loop. The first slide mentions the same voltage differences between outlets that you quoted from Ott...
  6. tomchr

Sigh. Once again you're talking about devices without a ground connection. I'm talking about those with a ground connection. I have already said that two-conductor power cords won't make a difference, so basically you're saying that you agree with me all while claiming that I don't understand...
  7. tomchr

And again: Try to understand the problem. Is it? It's not what I'm talking about. What you quoted talks about ground potential differences between outlets in the same building. What I'm talking about is ground potential differences between pieces of equipment plugged into the same outlet or...
  8. tomchr

All fine and dandy, but the parts you've highlighted have nothing to do with the error voltage I'm talking about. I'm talking about the voltage difference between the "ground" potential of two or more pieces of equipment plugged into the same circuit (or power strip). It seems we need to split...
  9. tomchr

You're assuming that all AV equipment is Class II (double insulated). It isn't all like that. Some is Class I (grounded chassis). That's what sets up trouble and that's also where a beefier power cord can potentially help. Personally, I recommend Ott and Morrison when it comes to grounding...
  10. tomchr

I already did: Note that this applies only in single-ended systems. If you're using differential links between components you won't see much any difference. Or at least any difference (which is small anyway) will be attenuated by the CMRR of the differential receiver, which tends to be high...
  11. tomchr

I'm not at war with you. I'm providing feedback on your review. Apparently that's not welcome. I'll move on. Bye. Tom
  12. tomchr

I understand. But why the war/crusade? Why US vs THEM? Why not simply present the data, interpret them, and move on? In some cases yes. The inclusion of a standard measurement (without citation) as a reference line in a graph with results of a completely uncontrolled experiment is one of those...
  13. tomchr

I'm willing to buy that. But then, why the US vs THEM? Why the dichotomy? Why the war or crusade? As I pointed out earlier, a technically sound argument for why some power cords could make a difference under certain conditions can actually be made. So clearly the case is more complex than...
  14. tomchr

"Our camp"? Why the US vs THEM? Is this really a battle worth fighting? What do you gain from that fight and drama? Page views? Now, don't get me wrong. I do believe that manufacturers' outrageous claims should be tested. Extraordinary claims should be backed by extraordinary evidence. But the...
  15. tomchr

Yep. And unknown orientation, etc. All fine and good. Benchmark did the same thing with star quad cables: https://player.vimeo.com/video/155057552 An uncontrolled experiment like that is great for comparing A vs B, but the wheels fall off when it's then compared to a standard reference...
  16. tomchr

Yes. Since then. Going forward, whenever you add a reference curve would you please also add a footnote to the graph with a reference to where that curve came from so that those of us who like to get to the bottom of things can? Please. Pretty please?! I admire that you choose to sign up so you...
  17. tomchr

At least three. How's that relevant? My point regarding scientific communication still stands. Is it too much to add a '[n]' next to "Threshold of hearing" and [n]: Lastname, I. (Year) Title of Paper, Title of Journal. I bet it would take less time than it took to add the curve and other...
  18. tomchr

And that's why measurements matter. Tom
  19. tomchr

All I was after was a mention ON THE GRAPH of where the threshold of audibility came from. One bloody footnote. That is all. It is fundamental scientific communication to cite your sources. Is that too much to ask of Audio Science Review? Tom
  20. tomchr

I agree with that statement as well. But I will also point out that the world is more nuanced than a dichotomy. I used to be a hardcore objectivist. If it couldn't be measured, it couldn't be perceived. Through my psychology degree (and also through discussions here) I have developed a more...
Top Bottom