Search results

1. B

Analysis of Paper on Measurements of RCA Cables by Kunchur (Video)

Excellent video, I think it’s great having intelligent discussion in this format which puts claims in context. Must have been a lot of work to put together so thanks.
  2. B

Darko Expert Opinion - Digital Audio

Hi Darko's latest podcast has an expert opinion from a compatriot on some of the challenges of digital audio. A lot of it doesn't sit right with me but I'm not confident enough with my knowledge to rebut. It would be interesting to see a video or article looking at some of these points around...
  3. B

Arylic A50 Review (wireless amplifier)

The series including the A50 now have gapless playback (tested with Deezer). Aside from the measured amp performance functionality wise this puts it ahead of a lot of the big boys!! Looking at you MusicCast particularly (and Chromecast).
  4. B

Apple Music vs Tidal

Yes it makes sense and as it has remained this way through a number of iterations of iOS, seems intentional. There are any number of ways to get lossless anyway - all my listening is lossless via AirPlay or the Apple TV which is an excellent streamer + device (well apart from on Sonos which...
  5. B

Apple Music vs Tidal

Yes AirPlay isn’t mentioned at all. I think it’s probably too complicated to go through the whole ‘if it’s AirPlay 1 then, if it’s AirPlay 2 …system-wide…” etc Be interesting to see if they make it available officially via AirPlay anytime soon. They don’t seem in any rush- it will be...
  6. B

Tidal Alternative

Yes it would be nice if differences were quantified in some way, either with DBT or capture of the digital stream and quantified comparison. With listening tests of course all aspects of the signal chain would need to be identical. Would be really interesting! I've never noticed any differences...
  7. B

Primephonic Becoming Apple Music: Alternatives?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/02/10/apple-classical-app-android-apple-music/
  8. B

Apple Music vs Tidal

Hi The 2019 hires of Abbey Road is not only a remaster but a reMIX so that likely accounts for things like the different cymbal sound and changed dynamics. It would be interesting for you to compare your cd rip to this version (the 2009 remaster which is likely the same, unless like me you are...
  9. B

Tidal Alternative

I sent them a polite but strongly worded letter and they pro-rata'd the rest of my annual subscription at the new rate.
  10. B

Apple Music vs Tidal

His tests to verify USB bit perfect performance were on the basis of the HDCD light coming on when feeding the audio to a Berkeley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 3, which is obviously a specific set of circumstances. I'd be really interested in some more generic testing of this. I...
  11. B

Amazon Music HD same price as Spotify. :D

Good question. Here are some answers: https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/spotify-lost-the-equivalent-of-2-2m-every-day-in-2020-as-it-spent-over-1bn-on-sales-and-marketing-for-the-first-time/
  12. B

Spotify Hi-Fi coming later this year?

There have been rumours and reports of lossless for a number of years but Feb was when it officially became a coming feature. I agree most listeners won’t care, a small number like me will regard it as ‘nice to have’ then there will be a tiny number who have to have it, but will probably stay...
  13. B

Spotify Hi-Fi coming later this year?

Yes it must be highly embarrassing and undermine confidence in ‘ability to execute’ for a listed company like Spotify to announce a major feature in the market with such fanfare (including promo videos featuring Billie Eilish and Finneas) and over nine months later still not having implemented...
  14. B

Apple Music Hi-Res Audio Playback Methods Agglomeration

Yes a block artist or block genre feature would be useful for example. I guess the problem with those approaches is they lack nuance i.e. you might throw away the baby with the bath water. Qobuz have a feature to filter new releases etc by genre for example but I find I lose a lot of releases...
  15. B

Audiophile "Impostor Syndrome" and Epiphany

I'm only an audiophile to the extent of being interested in the technology, methods of measurement, acoustics etc. I've never been into tweaks, expensive gear for the sake of it etc. My biggest revelations/epiphanies were: - when comparing streaming services and realising that all the...
  16. B

The dislike is a pretty powerful method for training music preference AI. Unless they can invent some sort of telepathic link I think its a pretty reasonable way to gather data and feedback on when they get it wrong (which they will)? One instance for me where I do this (and it is rare) is when...
  17. B

Ok that is really odd, it should sort itself but you could go nuclear and delete your profile if you’re getting really annoyed. No way someone else could be using your account?
  18. B

Dolby Atmos on Tidal, Apple Music Spatial Audio, Impressions on Earphones vs Speakers for Surround Sound Music

Hmm well the mixing engineer does have to export their file to mp4 and listen back on an iPhone to check the mix for headphones as Dolby haven’t provided an emulation solution, so I guess that might be a bit of a pain but not the end of the world, I assume most engineers would check their...
  19. B

Use the like and dislike actively and add things you like to your library. Can’t get into those genres either but I never see them on my “Listen Now” page
  20. B

Arylic A50 Review (wireless amplifier)

I only have an A50 (rather than the +) but I'm surprised to see the complaints of harshness. Is that Klipsch speaker what is called a very 'revealing' speaker or a bit accentuated in the highs? Also what kind of db levels do you listen at? Not doubting your own experience but I wouldn't want...
Top Bottom