Search results

1. Ricardus

New McIntosh Turntable

I'd buy a Class D Mac if they developed it and it tested great. Just don't put any stupid fake tubes on it with green LEDs under it.
  2. Ricardus

New McIntosh Turntable

Mac got bought a month or two ago, so I fully expect the brand to be gutted and ruined in no time. That's what corporations do.
  3. Ricardus

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

So the answer is magic? Archimedes would disagree. It's already been done. As I said, Archimedes would disagree. There's a cool video out there of a guy named Wally building his own Stonehenge, ALONE.
  4. Ricardus

Master Thread: Are measurements Everything or Nothing?

Why do you believe this form of testing is immune from our brain's built in biases? Spoilers: IT'S NOT. Would someone please do this? Someone in the Houston area just so we have a clear cut example that people like this are wrong? I mean chief huckster Paul M got challenged by Ethan Winer and...
  5. Ricardus

How Do YOU Monitor A Mix?

I monitor on my ribbon nearfields and check on some less expensive nearfields. I honestly don't care what it sounds like in an Escalade. There is simply no way to do a mix that is going to sound great in different cars, ear buds, headphones, and on high end systems. If you have any mixing chops...
  6. Ricardus

Is 14 AWG good enough for speaker cable?

YES Parts Express had a killer sale on 12 gauge about 2 years ago so I bought 100 ft. I can't remember the price but it was ridiculously low. They were out of the 14 so I went with the 12. But 14 is going to be fine unless you're pushing massive amounts of wattage... like live sound subwoofer...
  7. Ricardus

How we could finally pin down flowery audiophile subjective descriptions

And you gave them what you thought that meant and convinced them that was what it was. You could have done something else and convinced them, also. It's the way the brain works.
  8. Ricardus

That's EQ. EQ actually does something. I'm a recording engineer. Why would I deny that EQ changes things? I use EQ every day. What does the fact that EQ exists and can create a curve have to do with anything here?
  9. Ricardus

Because it's a fantasy. Our ears suck. Don't trust them. Our brains lie to us. Don't trust it. It's a gigantic waste of time. Trust meaurements. Buy reasonably priced gear that measures well. Then sit at home and write all the flowery love poems to your gear that you want, but please don't...
  10. Ricardus

But I am. I addressed it in a recent post: You can't standardize subjectivity, so this is a pointless exercise.
  11. Ricardus

Except you don't. Which is why this thread exists. Your entire set of replies to me was just a giant straw man. There is subjectivity and objectivity. Look them up. You wanna believe in magic? Fine. But I have bad news for you. You're on the wrong site. The OP asked for universally...
  12. Ricardus

I don't think these discussions even matter. Subjectivity is subjectivity. It cannot be agreed upon. Which is why we have measurements. People should just go listen and buy. Some will realize their ears are the weakest links in the listening chain and some won't. There simply is NO WAY to...
  13. Ricardus

It's even worse than the chicken egg thing. The point is, the measurements give us the vocabulary we need. Numbers. DONE.
  14. Ricardus

What is on your workbench right now?

Right now I am working on some Neumann KM84 clones. The boards fit into donor bodies from another mic, and then you need to find quality capsules. Is it a Neumann? No. But with good transformers and good capsules you really have something quite good with this circuit.
  15. Ricardus

The Physics of 3-D Soundstage

Everything in the imaging of a song is the fault of the mix engineer and the choices they made. That's the point here. There is no magic. The rest is all "audiophile" nonsense.
Top Bottom