Search results

1. watchnerd

What is the point of upsampling?

I feel like this thread is from a time-machine before Delta Sigma DACs became ubiquitous
  2. watchnerd

What is the point of upsampling?

CD upsampling discussions because of filter limitations? What year is this?
  3. watchnerd

Audio Technica AT-OC9XML

Sadly, no hot deals on US Amazon. Prices are the same as the AT website. :(
  4. watchnerd

Mobile Fidelity Analog Vinyl Controversy

I'm such a piker I haven't even hit $20K yet for my TT / arm / cart combined. I'm still aspiring to that, but the $19K Technics SL-1000RE-S weighs 40.2 kg / 88.7 lbs and would likely crush the cheap Ikea Kallax shelf that my far flimsier Michell Gyro sits on. So I'm slumming it just short of...
  5. watchnerd

Ripping vinyl to digital today is so common I don't think you'd even need to test it. People have anecdotal first hand experience with how transparent it can be. However.... You can game the test if you record the vinyl with speakers off / disconnected, because then the vinyl rip will have...
  6. watchnerd

I'm always surprised when people bring this up because I have a huge number of albums with no pops or ticks I've noticed, a few with like one on a side, and only a handful of really old, used records that have lots of pops and ticks. Are people just listening to worn out LPs and / or to carts +...
  7. watchnerd

+1 I don't know why some need to spin some yard that it's better than digital to justify spending shameful amounts of money on vinyl. Just embrace it! Records are expensive, cartridges can be expensive to ludicrous, and the diminishing return point for a really quality turntable is a *lot*...
  8. watchnerd

Vinyl is the objectively inferior medium. But that doesn't mean I don't like listening to it and sometimes prefer it to the digital mastering.
  9. watchnerd

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

Wow, ambitious! But on a quartz-locked direct drive TT, what effect does it have?
  10. watchnerd

Parks Audio Puffin Review (Phono Stage)

Really nice! What's to the left of the turntable?
  11. watchnerd

Cause of Listening Fatigue?

Yes indeed. That's fundamental anatomy and physics of pressure. That's why people get tubes put in their ears. ENT docs are very familiar with this.
  12. watchnerd

first I've had in 8 years
  13. watchnerd

Neither. Mucus and junk in my throat / nose / sinus impacting my hearing.
  14. watchnerd

I just got a recent episode of listening fatigue because of Covid
  15. watchnerd

Stereophile's snide editorial on ASR and Amir

*shrug* I've been reading Stereophile since it was paper in the 1980s, far longer than ASR has existed, so I'm accustomed to their writers babbling on about all sorts of inconsequential things that I don't waste brainpower trying to interpret. Sam Tellig used to write weird stuff about his...
  16. watchnerd

An ASR angle would never even have occurred to me. I viewed it more as a Pro-Purifi puff piece.
  17. watchnerd

*head-scratching* I didn't sense any ASR content at all.
  18. watchnerd

Exactly. I'm not sure why people have this idea that digitized vinyl wouldn't sound like vinyl or would sound the same as streaming / CD. It would sort of defy the whole concept of digital capture of audio if it didn't still sound like LP.
  19. watchnerd

Turntables, similar but different?

Either the SL-1500C or 1200GR, from that list. Between those two, it will mostly come down to looks and features you want. Personally, I like the cleaner looks of the 1500C, but I also don't care for the auto-lift feature and would never use the built-in phono stage.
Top Bottom