Search results

1. Gorgonzola

Color catastrophe avoided

When I got home from our South West vacation trip and viewed for the first time pictures taken with my Fuji X-T2 camera, I was shocked. I discovered that dozens of photos were severely color distorted -- horribly skewed to the magenta ... I was appalled and fearful that many pictures were...
  2. Gorgonzola

What lenses are you currently using?

So my current cameras are a Fujifilm X-T10 and X-T2, mirrorless with APS-C sensors. I'm loving them both. [edit] The main shortcoming these is that neither have in-body stabilization as the newer X-T4 and X-T5 do. I have a very modest selection of lens I'm currently using; I've got some pics...
  3. Gorgonzola

Anyone watching Lord of the Rings - The Rings of Power ?

I have watched the first two episode, (all viewable as of today). If you've seen it or intend to, I'm wondering how you feel about it. At this point I'm viewing The Rings of Power as a some-time Tolkien fan -- mind you, not as a Tolkien scholar or "lore master": I don't claim that much...
  4. Gorgonzola

What is the absolute lowest level of noise or higher order harmonics that is audible?

A member on another, audiophile site insists that (a) higher-order harmonics are nasty sounding, (b) negative feedback causes high-order harmonics, (c) sufficient negative feedback can reduce higher-order harmonics to the point that they merge with and form part of the sound floor of the device...
  5. Gorgonzola

Denafrips preamps: any more info or impressions?

It seems Denafrips makes three different preamps: Hestia, US$1045.55 Hades, US$1314.18 Athena, US$ 2055.75 All seems to have impressive specs according to Denafrips. I love to see measurements for any of these units. IMHO, they are much handsomer in appearance than Topping Pre90 or the...
  6. Gorgonzola

Don't buy Photoshop, (or any downloadable software), from Dell

Yesterday I bought and paid for Adobe Photoshop Elements 2022 from Dell. This is product is available only by download -- but I can't download it because the info Dell provides isn't what Adobe requires for the download. Dell send you an email that directs you to your order; from there you go...
  7. Gorgonzola

Is negative feedback fully effective in case of complex music waveforms?

If heard it assert the the efficacy of negative feedback, and validity of distortion measurements, is really only effective in the case of steady-state signals. Is this true? It seems to me that there is some latency in a feedback loop, so on the face of it, it sounds reasonable that the...
  8. Gorgonzola

Extraordiary Audiophool device

Hey!! I'm wondering if anybody else spotted ads for these remarkable devices from Add/Powr? I guaranty that not a few audiophiles with hear these devices and insist they hear sound quality improvements. Could you be persuaded?
  9. Gorgonzola

True?? An "optical break" in network cable can improve SQ

A member on another forum claimed he improved sound quality by insinuating an "optical break" in his network cable, (between NAS and streamer I believe). The "break" consisted of a pair, back-to-back, of these TP-Link MC100CM electrical <=> optical converters in his home network cable. He...
  10. Gorgonzola

How true? Class D amps can't sustain their maximum spec'd power

A few times I've heard pundits insist that class D amps can't actually sustain their advertised power, at least not without additional cooling with larger heatsinks and/or cooling fans. Exactly how true is this? These critics seem to me to saying in effect that class D amps' are falsely rated...
  11. Gorgonzola

Do high-efficiency speakers really have better 'dynamics'?

A very experienced audiophile on another forum recently asserted that high-efficiency speakers were inherently more dynamic than other types. By high-efficiency I believe he meant >92 dB sensitivity; by "dynamic" I believe he meant more brilliant response to transient signals. Do hi-eff...
  12. Gorgonzola

FS: Burson V6 Vivid dual op amps, pair

The Burson V6 Vivid, (see HERE), are popular discrete op amps for improving the sound of various preamps, DACs, headphone amps, power amp driver stages, etc. The sound is more "tube like", i.e. more body, layered imaging, and smoother treble; (of course, experience will vary depending on...
  13. Gorgonzola

"SE" upgrades? Humm ...

A couple of days ago I got my Sonic Frontiers Line 1 preamplifier back from Parts ConneXion having had their "SE+" upgrade performed. I also had the volume control chips replace, (PGA 2311), and the defective rotary volume control encoder replace; (the latter is a common problem with the Line...
  14. Gorgonzola

Are there NO 'Recommended' AVR/AVP pre pros? (Or am I missing something?)

A "pre pro" seems like a great idea prima facie in that (i) you have your choice of power amps, and (b) you ought to save a little money on the processor itself given it doesn't include power amps. It's certainly what I would like but: But most pre pros (or AVRs with pre-out) seem to be aimed...
  15. Gorgonzola

What SMPS to replace my linear power supply?

A bit over a decade ago I constructed a power amp based on an SDS-258 modules from Class D Audio. The kit I purchased included a linear power supply. Presently I'm contemplating replacing that PS with a switching-mode one. The current linear supply puts out +/- 62 VDC. I would like advice on...
Top Bottom