Search results

1. Sgt. Ear Ache

Celebrity RIP Thread

Yeah, just heard this. Damn...RIP.
  2. Sgt. Ear Ache

What to do about the ABX test?

A blind test on one individual isn't some sort of "preference curve." But a whole bunch of blind tests on a whole bunch of people can certainly be used to establish a preference curve. Much like blind testing food (pepsi vs coke for instance) can establish a taste preference. You can do a...
  3. Sgt. Ear Ache

What to do about the ABX test?

In most cases we're talking about distinctions that could best be described as "infinitesimal." Differences between cables or dacs or (competent) amps...even if we allow that there might possibly be some difference (even if only measurable), the chances of audibility are minute. So, my first...
  4. Sgt. Ear Ache

Stereophiles editor Jim Austin publicly disagreeing with Kal Rubinson

If none of those food critics can identify that burnt flavor unless they know the food was cooked on stove A ahead of time, I don't care about their subjective opinion because it's false. We already have a hypothesis that explains such situations - cognitive bias.
  5. Sgt. Ear Ache

Can you explain what a subjective opinion of a device that does exactly the same thing as another device would tell us? I mean it's like a food critic saying he can tell that food cooked on one stove tastes better than food cooked on another stove that in any objective way is the same...but he...
  6. Sgt. Ear Ache

This has nothing to do with "musical enjoyment." We aren't talking about appreciating the beauty of a performance or the wonder of a magical chord change here. That's the game the subjectivists play - equating the evaluation of electronic equipment to musical enjoyment as though an amp is a...
  7. Sgt. Ear Ache

How and where do you listen music “in general”?

my "critical" listening is done on the headphone rig. That's where I go when I want to be blown away by sound and hearing every detail. I've got a nice 2.0 speaker rig that sounds fantastic but I live in an apartment and I'm pretty cognizant of making sure I'm not bugging the neighbors so I'm...
  8. Sgt. Ear Ache

ASMR Survey - pleasant or awful?

Good, well-recorded natural and un-exaggerated sounds? Just fine. Weird crinkly, crackly sounds, clicky nails, mouth and lip smacking noises and whispering and other bizarre fetishistic crap? Unbelievably irritating.
  9. Sgt. Ear Ache

First 500$ HiFi setup (Headphone + DAC) recommandations please

The Bose QC35s are pretty darned good cans....
  10. Sgt. Ear Ache

Top Gun: Maverick

Finally saw this last weekend. Frankly, as someone who was not a fan of the first, and doesn't really like Cruise a whole lot...my expectations were met. lol. I thought this movie was pretty terrible. Just seemed really thin, pointless, and mostly dumb. Now I actually quite like a dumb...
  11. Sgt. Ear Ache

Are you a gamer/gamer's dad? - Share your favorite video games...

I spent entirely too much time this past weekend playing around with retroarch on a recently-acquired Amazon Fire HD8 tablet. That paired with a PS4 dual shock controller I have kicking around (my PS4 crapped out a few months back) is just a fantastic portable gaming rig. For myself - a 55...
  12. Sgt. Ear Ache

I made that classic mistake....

Not sure what there is to discuss really. The gear you have has impeccable measurements. What would more expensive stuff have to offer other than perhaps specific different features or maybe (but not definitely) better build quality or QC or whatnot? I would say one's conviction that spending...
  13. Sgt. Ear Ache

I made that classic mistake....

I wouldn't worry about it. You have what would still be considered a "budget" rig there - which will sound as good as pretty much anything else. Imagine if you'd spent $2000 on a dac amp...and it wouldn't sound one iota better! The 371s are great headphones. Maybe apply a bit of EQ if you...
  14. Sgt. Ear Ache

How to improve your CD sound quality and go blind all in one easy step!

I like Techmoan. He's a pretty smart guy and he has lots of interesting old gadgets in his vids. He does basically get to the "this is BS" point in the vid. And oh boy is (was) it ever BS. I can't quite tell from the OP, but we're aware this is an old gadget right? I mean we aren't talking...
  15. Sgt. Ear Ache

What is your stance on Chinese brand Hi-fi equipment

I'm only talking about what happens here. I don't go to the other forums at all anymore. I just see those sorts of arguments brought here on a regular basis. There's a thread or two every week started up to debate the merits of SINAD and suggest that it's overvalued "here." As far as...
  16. Sgt. Ear Ache

No, we say there's no evidence they have any effect at all (other than removing dollars from the wallet). And we also all agree that beyond a certain point SINAD makes no notable difference either. There's significant areas of the forum dedicated to psycho-acoustics. It becomes little more...
  17. Sgt. Ear Ache

Sure, but we're in the early days of the game right now. It's pretty inevitable that we're headed down that road eventually. Putting limits on what little kids do is part of parenting right? We limit their TV time...how much candy they eat...don't let them stay up all night. Why wouldn't we...
  18. Sgt. Ear Ache

Oh sure there'll be advertising! You can book it! But now that I've started down the rabbit hole of this wearable technology thing, it's going to be a real game-changer. I mean why even have a home theatre system or big hifi setup at all? You want to watch a movie on a big screen? Just dial...
  19. Sgt. Ear Ache

I figure in 20 years time we'll all be wearing high-tec eye glasses that have a hud display as well as an array of visual real-time filtering constantly on display and a couple extensions with little balls on the end that insert deep into our ear canals and feed filtered audio from both the live...
  20. Sgt. Ear Ache

When I look up "X times as much" in google for grammatical correctness, it looks to mean exactly what I think it means. Something that costs 5 times as much as a thing that cost's $100 therefore costs $500. Paragraphs are also a part of writing well btw. ;) But since we aren't doing doctoral...
Top Bottom