Search results

1. TheWalkman

Why are Speakers Concave (CBT**2 With Inverted Domes?)

Virtually all speaker drivers are more or less concave (ok, Magnapans, Ohm F’s, tweeter arrays, excluded.) I was just reading the thread on CBTs and line array design/ theory and how they work...
  2. TheWalkman

Mix and Match Subs?

I have a JBL ES-250p sub (12”, 400 W https://www.jbl.com/ES250PBK.html). I see that JBL is offering the Sub550 (10”, 500W) on sale for $199 as a Black Friday promo. That seems like a great sub and good price. Would it be wise to mix these different sized subs in the same AV system? (I’m...
  3. TheWalkman

Hypex, Ice, Purifi: which is Really Best?

It’s interesting to see a number of manufacturers using a modular approach to utilize modular technology like these, named, modular units in their products. Though this may be opening a religious war amongst ASR Illuminati, which of the modular amp companies like ICE, Hypex, Purifi (have I...
  4. TheWalkman

Phil Spector and the Wall of Sound

It seems only appropriate that ASR acknowledge the death of Phil Spector, creator of the Wall of Sound. Though Spector certainly had his personal issues, I think we would all agree that he was a major force in the recording industry who changed what recorded music sounded like and we are all...
  5. TheWalkman

Speaker Impedance

Twenty five years ago, it seems virtually all speakers were 8R. Today, a larger percentage of speakers, it appears, are 4 or 6 ohm. Why is that? Is the speaker resistance a function of the length of wire in the voice coil? If that were the case, I would them conclude that manufacturers are...
  6. TheWalkman

White Noise, Pink Noise or Throw Them Out?

I just picked up a new pair of JBL's on sale and they arrived yesterday. (I just couldn't say no and had to pull the trigger, but that's another woeful story.) Unfortunately, plans didn't quite work out: the new speakers didn't make it under the Christmas Tree. Instead the JBLs were stripped...
  7. TheWalkman

Subwoofer DSP - Dayton Audio DSP-LF

Do any forum users have experience with the Dayton Audio DSP-LF? https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dsp-lf-low-frequency-dsp-controller--230-520 I have a JBL sub that I’ve owned for a number of years and always found it to be a pain in the neck to dial-in, both crossover and gain...
  8. TheWalkman

ZorLoo ZuperDAC-S Support?

I picked up a ZuperDac S in February, 2020. The unit arrived with a stuck volume button rendering it useless. Zorloo promptly sent a replacement. Now it, too, has died four months later. I’ve sent several emails to support about warranty replacement. No response. Anyone else having...
Top Bottom