Search results

1. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

I've wondered about the company's customer demographics. Back in the day, the 60s through 70s, my impression was that most buyers were typically higher end professionals--docs, lawyers and such. Practical men who didn't care to ever upgrade. Buy once and forget it. They probably didn't read...
  2. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

According the spec sheet it uses 4 12AX7. Has many phono related adjustments: five EQ curves, MC and MM, multiple loading options, low and high filters. Also evidently includes an ADC that converts your analog signal into a digital stream. And meters. Blue meters. Unfortunately for the...
  3. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

They do. But not at this price point. And then you're into a full sized system. Here, the marketing angle has to be: "What can we make that will fit in a small room, possibly on an end table; costs no more than a mid-range high performance Japanese motorcycle (less speakers); and is something...
  4. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

Actually, I can't criticize too much, but do like to make a joke, only in the context of McIntosh's origins. Certainly the 'lifestyle' marketing angle is not something Frank had in mind. And I confess, as an owner of 'modern' Klipsch Heritage horns, I'm guilty of a certain amount of 21st...
  5. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

As the erstwhile owner of two Jeep Wranglers (two door utility versions) I can attest to that. My guess is that from a longevity and long term maintenance standpoint, a basic MacAmp will cause you less problems than a Jeep. Thing is, if you need what a Jeep does, I mean really need it...
  6. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

To me, that's a weird one. In 'high end' audio, from a marketing standpoint, you'd think you'd want your brand to be associated with a commensurate 'high end' automobile. And the reverse. The 'rub off' effect. For example: Audi, Lamborghini, Aston Martin: Bang and Olufsen; Bugatti, Merc...
  7. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

Put your records to close to the tubes, and with low sensitivity loudspeakers, your records will look like that mug!
  8. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

McIntosh has turned out to be low hanging fruitcake in the 'make fun of whatever they are doing' department. They've become such a self-parody. But even with all that, there's always room for the company to step up their game. Like this thing. It could definitely be MacModded. I realize...
  9. anmpr1

New McIntosh Turntable

From one of the dealer blurbs: Because it's also an amplifier and there's amplification on the back, you got the tubes up front, to meet code, it's not allowed to have a cover. They don't want you to put a cover over the top of this thing and, because of the heat buildup, basically turn it...
  10. anmpr1

Pricey Mcintosh Dac announced

Changes of ownership and marketing orientation, in order to maximize exposure and, hopefully, profits. When Frank and Gordon were running the show, it was strictly no-nonsense. A product stayed in the catalog for years. At least until they thought they could offer something better. The...
  11. anmpr1

Windows 11 Help

Hmm... Maybe I have it all wrong in memory, but I remember the site being less 'commercial' years ago. Less weird in that way. I know it's bad on some of the guitar oriented channels (my other hobby). About two a week is all I can stomach. Phil McKnight is good for industry updates, and...
  12. anmpr1

Windows 11 Help

Is there a YT rule that requires presenters to open their mouths and look stupid? And what's with all the click bait titles? Back on topic--, at first I thought it was simply a lack of management direction, and general incompetence (or perhaps disinterest); but at this late stage of the...
  13. anmpr1

Thank you, everyone

This Thanksgiving Holiday I want to wish all my virtual ASR friends the best. Eat and drink a lot. Listen to some music. And be thankful for this little place, where we can discuss, debate, and (hopefully) laugh. Especially to Amir, for making it all happen.
  14. anmpr1

Pricey Mcintosh Dac announced

I always get a chuckle about Rolex/high end stereo comparisons. But I'll tell you this, twenty years from now, after you beam up (depending upon your age), your son will cherish your Rolex, and probably want to wear it every day, as a remembrance of dear old dad. Twenty years from now, when...
  15. anmpr1

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

In all my years of audiofoolery, I never thought about hooking up my speakers using Hot Wheels track. Goes to show that even at an old age you can learn something new.
  16. anmpr1

Why Do You Own Benchmark Products?

1) Peter Aczel. 2) Build quality is first rate. 3) Not overpriced in context. (How they sell items at their price point, made/assembled in NY USA, is something I'll never hope to understand.) 4) Full (and I mean full) documentation inside the box. 5) Form factor does not 'get in the way'. 6)...
  17. anmpr1

Should I upgrade my Dual CS 5000 turntable with a MC cartridge or get a Rega P6 with same cartridge?

Addendum: The Sao Win tonearm was certainly 'based' upon the Castagna, however there were differences. Notably, the headshell and counterweight design, plus the addition of an anti-skating mech. Below are photos of the arm in his record player.
  18. anmpr1

Should I upgrade my Dual CS 5000 turntable with a MC cartridge or get a Rega P6 with same cartridge?

Concluding a brief history of attempting to match tonearm with cartridge in order to reduce resonance, perhaps one of the more interesting devices was the mid '60s Castagna tonearm (I don't know the name's reference). Castagna allowed for all variations of adjustments, but its most unusual...
  19. anmpr1

This is moving away from the OP question, but the idea of tonearm damping has an interesting history. The first time I encountered it was the old Gray oil damped arm from the '50s. Shinagawa Musen (Grace) essentially copied the device. I wonder if they had permission, or if it was just a...
  20. anmpr1

I'll tell you a 'funny' story. I owned a Denon DP-75 (Quartz PLL with a magnetic strip inside the platter that was read by a tape head servo tachometer, the combo supposed to guarantee accurate speed stability). The DP-75 came in the optional factory cut out base, which I believe was said to...
Top Bottom