Search results

1. DVDdoug

Are headphones frequency response measurements irrelevant?

Frequency response is the most important thing! ;) But you're right. It's tricky and imperfect, especially in the higher frequencies where the short wavelengths bounce-around in the headphone and your ear. And in the low-end it depends on how they fit around the ear and how well they seal...
  2. DVDdoug

Studio Monitor Recommendation

I don't think that's a problem (acoustically). To me anything less than 8-inches doesn't count as a "woofer". :P Bass is usually a problem in small untreated rooms so I guess the theory is that a small speaker with no bass is better than bad bass.... But if you are producing music you...
  3. DVDdoug

Home Theatre surround speaker SPL requirements

If I'm reading the graphs correctly A has some 0dB (or near 0dB) peaks in all channels.
  4. DVDdoug

Question about class D

"Faster" and "more detailed" are audiophile words with no real fixed definition. Sometimes distortion is described as "more detail"! An amplifier can't do that... That would require some advanced processing... ;) The sound quality of an amplifier is determined by noise, distortion, and...
  5. DVDdoug

RME ADI-2 FS R BE + Turntable...and what else??

Normally you need a phono preamp, which brings the (very weak) cartridge signal to line-level and applies the RIAA EQ. In the vinyl days you'd just plug the turntable into your receiver (or amplifier or preamp) and you're done... Most AVRs don't have phono preamps but some do, and some modern...
  6. DVDdoug

mounting HW for ceiling speaker

That would depend on the speakers. The best bookshelves are probably better than the best ceiling speakers and of course there are a lot more bookshelf speakers to choose from. I THINK I've seen some in-ceiling speakers with a tweeter that can be aimed. That would also depend on the...
  7. DVDdoug

Subwoofer Delay

Generally, delay becomes noticeable (as a delay or echo) at around 30ms. But since it's 'just the bass' (not an echo of an identical sound) it might be OK. Sound travels at about 1 foot per millisecond, so it's like moving the sub about 30 feet farther away from you than the main speakers...
  8. DVDdoug

AVR for speakers

Most AVRs have plenty of power so it shouldn't be a problem. "Typical listening" in an average living room is usually just a few watts. But when you want to go loud, it gets complicated... +3dB (a small volume increase) requires twice the power and +10dB (generally perceived as twice as...
  9. DVDdoug

Second hand IEMs — how to check if they are not damaged?

It would be unlikely for both to be identically damaged. A broken ground can create a "weird vocal remover effect" where the "center" is lost and there is no stereo. Since bass is normally centered, it will be greatly reduced too. If that's the problem a mono file will be almost silent...
  10. DVDdoug

Is the SMSL AO200 a true "Digital Amplifier"? (or do the analog inputs bypass its built in dac?)

I think digital means it has Bluetooth & USB inputs... Otherwise, it appears to be analog. Their website mentions two chips - One for volume control which appears to be analog with digital control. That chip has some "tone" circuitry built-in so that's probably the extent of the "EQ" and...
  11. DVDdoug

If Bits are Bits

The CD and the "CD quality" stream should sound identical, ASSUMING they are level matched, from the same source, and that there are no defects or "glitches" in the data. The DSD may have different mastering. If not, there ARE still differences in the "bits" but it's highly unlikely that...
  12. DVDdoug

A More Useful Way of Measuring the Performance of DACs?

If it's obvious you can ABX it every time! ;) Nobody knows what that means... A difference in bass should be easy to measure. An audible frequency difference would be unusual. The most common difference* would be noise. (BTW - digital "glitches" usually sound like noise, but that's...
  13. DVDdoug

Active Subwoofer input sensitivity

Line level isn't well controlled/calibrated in home equipment... Usually the output has plenty of signal, and the amplifier has plenty of gain, so you can get full-power from the amp when you turn it up and "everything works OK". Most SPL meters are A-weighted which is NOT what you want...
  14. DVDdoug

Headphones with great soundstage under 1000$

Somebody posted a survey recently and it turns-out that very few people get a good soundstage illusion. With all the talk about "soundstage" I was surprised! Personally, I don't experience it and different headphones don't make a difference for me. I know it's an illusion but I thought...
  15. DVDdoug

new dac

It's "nice" to know when the audio is lossless but you'd probably be surprised how good lossy compression can be in a blind ABX test. (An ABX test is usually not practical with Bluetooth headphones because you' usually be listening to two different headphones which will sound different...
  16. DVDdoug

Bass, Impedance, and Hearing Protection

Frequency response doesn't correlate with impedance. Sensitivity (loudness) usually does, with high impedance headphones tending to be less sensitive, needing more voltage for the same loudness. ...Your particular high-impedance headphones probably have more bass than your particular...
  17. DVDdoug

The importance of low bass in music

12% doesn't seem like that much difference. And you know that's an average... It wasn't 12% every 2 minutes. Undetectable? I'm highly skeptical of subliminal effects. The good thing is... You don't need much of a subwoofer to get undetectable amounts of bass! :p Yeah... I'd rather...
  18. DVDdoug

At which sound pressure levels are loudspeakers calibrated to achieve a flat perceived loudness curve?

In a professional recording the mixing engineer would EQ that out. ...Or they might leave it for "effect". Most mics have a certain "character", most studio mics are not flat and the recording engineer usually chooses different mics for different sources. It's all "artificial"! :P I...
  19. DVDdoug

Gigabit Ethernet/Fiber Media Converter - LOW noise

If there is no problem how can you make an "improvement"? Of course you can "enhance" the sound with EQ or reverb or some other effect.) Noise is (usually) an analog problem. Digital is mostly immune to noise. Digital noise would create errors and that would cause data corruption...
  20. DVDdoug

Douk Audio U5 Balanced XLR headphone amp

1000uF would probably be power supply filter capacitors so they are not in the signal path and swapping them won't make any difference unless they are defective or unreliable. Capacitors in the signal path rarely make a difference unless they are part of a high-pass or low-pass filter, etc., or...
Top Bottom