Search results

1. Chr1

Your AVR power draw at idle?

I am curious to know what other people's AVRs draw at idle. I have a Pioneer SC-LX86 which draws around 80W at idle... If you have a power meter, why not post yours here for comparison? Thanks!
  2. Chr1

Strange varying AVR power usage.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas as to why my AVR power consumption seems to be fluctuating... I have been using a cheap plug in power meter to check the power consumption of my various bits of audio hardware, and my AVR consumption appears to have two different levels! When I first plugged it...
  3. Chr1

MCACC Questions

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for reliable sources of information on using MCACC? As with most information online there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there. I am using it on a Pioneer SC-LX86. Thanks in advance!
  4. Chr1

Passive Crossover Question... Power loss?

I am using a pair of pro-audio Tannoy V12s designed for sound reinforcement which are intended for use with subs, which is currently what I am doing (3 x active). I am curious as to whether the crossovers within the Tannoys which presumably cut the frequencies below 70 Hz, merely dissipate the...
  5. Chr1

Tube noob questions... new VTL ST-85 purchase.

So having decided that I very much like the added valve warmth thing, when I saw an ST-85 available second hand, I took the plunge. Figured it was a good option as from what I've read the Manley amps are a good fit for me (and the ST-85 appears to be a trusted design and affordable). Anyway...
  6. Chr1

Output capacitance question...

How do you know if an amplifier has sufficient output capacitance? From what I have read, for an amplifier to accurately recreate sudden transient changes in music, it requires output capacitors that are large enough to be to able provide this needed increase in power. Is there a way to...
  7. Chr1

Considering Joules in addition to Watts and output impedance in Amplifiers...

I have been interested in reading threads relating to how an amplifiers output impedance can effect the amplifiers FR when driving difficult loads. Also, how it is very important to ensure sufficient power is available for the amps given application. So, I was consequently curious about how it's...
  8. Chr1

Protection circuitry and sound quality.

I am curious as to the various types of amplifier protection circuitry and how they effect sound quality (or not.) I recently bought a late 80s Spanish power amp (for all of £4.99) from Ebay and the little info I could find online claims that it has an innovative type of protection circuit for...
  9. Chr1

Hybrid Amplifiers...Added valve warmth/distortion...

My current favourite amplifier is a Lazarus H-1A valve/mosfet hybrid that I picked up cheaply on Gumtree several years back. I am assuming that the valves are added to the circuit to simply add distortion/warmth to the sound produced? As such, I am very happy with this particular alteration to...
  10. Chr1

Foobar Preamp gain with MathAudio RoomEQ

I have just started using the MathAudio RoomEQ plugin for Foobar on my PC, output going to Dx3pPro via USB. As the output level going to the DX3Pro is now significantly lower, I am wondering if it is OK to increase the signal to the DAC by upping the Preamp gain in the Foobar settings? The...
Top Bottom