Search results

1. A

Akai GX-620 Reel to Reel Tape Deck Measurements

It does look cool!! Very nice. In the film world we used to mitigate for calibration errors by shooting pink noise at the head of each roll (on the machine that was about to record to it) such that when a recording was put on a different replay machine, it could be brought back to reasonably...
  2. A

Pro Musician needs new speakers for home studio

If any speaker at this price point is going to be an improvement over the HS (to help in a room with poor acoustics) then it's the Kali, IMHO. Their superior dispersion characteristics are about as good as it gets for listening at multiple heights, and the more even coverage also gives your room...
  3. A

returning to passive monitors, need a power amp recommendation

I've previously run BM15s on Crown DSi and Hypex 502MP; all day long I'd choose the Hypex.
  4. A

Pro Musician needs new speakers for home studio

Most obvious difference between IN8 V1 and V2 is hiss. The V1 is quite hissy (although it's quite a "warm" hiss, not HF sizzle). Kali also improved headroom and arguably FR on the V2, but those are more subtle improvements to my ears. The noise floor is the step change. I used my V1s at about...
  5. A

Validity of X-curve For Cinema Sound

Totally agree. My comment was in the context of dialogue intelligibility issues though, and I don't believe the replay side having more HF than the mix stage (particularly in the top octave and a bit) would have negative impact on that particular aspect. Obviously it's not an ideal situation though!
  6. A

Cool. Then, yeah, seems extremely unlikely to be a nearfield mix to me. If it was a mid-1990s to early-2000s film's "nearfield" I wouldn't be so confident to identify it that way, as people didn't used to worry about interpolated/oversampled peaks so much back then. Nor was there much in the...
  7. A

Don't know I'm afraid. I'll see if I can find out. IIRC Warners always ask for a -24LKFS nearfield mix to go on their video masters. But I don't know if they used it on that particular disc or if it will have just gone for VOD. If you've got time to kill, and a bluray drive in a computer, you...
  8. A

Ah ok! So are you saying that because of the roll off in X-curve the midband level is actually louder to make up for the reduced level at HF and LF? I think the thing is, the X-curve doesn't deliberately reduce HF content. For sure, it's only an approximation, so there's definitely scope to be...
  9. A

Whatever...... :rolleyes: I wouldn't obsess over this too much; there are indeed several ways of looking at it. But, assuming you're happy with the general sound/FR you have, I'd personally just knock the level down a tiny bit because you're likely in a room where the direct:indirect ratio is...
  10. A

Dolby measure it using RTA / pink. And yes the goal is flat response from the speakers. (I.e. In a lot of cases, once a speaker system is calibrated to be "flat" in a large room, it'll be fairly close to the x-curve, but there are a ton of variables that can throw the correlation out if you're...
  11. A

"Best" mic for Dirac Live

Haven't done it for a while but I think Dirac sweeps all speakers in one hit at each measurement position (sequentially, with very little pause between them) so I'm not sure there's opportunity to adjust the mic...? The difference it would make to the overheads would be negligible in context...
  12. A

Over the Sonarworks, probably just the USB interface, which is better for (a) Convenience. e.g. if you want to measure an HDMI device on your laptop, it's just a bit quicker and neater than setting up a capture device/mic pre with phantom power. (b) you always have absolute SPL (c) probably of...
  13. A

Yep, unless you know you have a very specific requirement for some particular aspect of the mic's performance, UMIK-1 all day long. It's a really convenient / easy to use thing.
  14. A

Question about EQ for speakers

I would probably try a shelf first to avoid messing up the natural roll off shape, I think. Single bell correctly placed might be OK. In either case one goal is to avoid having gain above where it's needed (else you end up with that sound like you get on small/cheap speakers where the thing is...
  15. A

Question about EQ for speakers

3 - 4dB is a pretty small number, if that's literally all you're after. With positive EQ you just need to make sure you have the headroom in the chain before the amp/speaker to cope with the added level. (Some domestic EQs put attenuation in automatically to avoid clipping, dunno about "Peace...
  16. A

So my Focal Aria 948 is dead

Not that it's relevant, but I'm sure in France these will be more like $3500 normal price. Still, even at that price it's surprising to find such significant damage to the guts of the thing. Glad it's (mostly) sorted.
  17. A

Studio monitors for multiple uses

Yep, it's fine. If you're interested in the data there's a review of the IN8 V1 on ASR by Amir: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kali-audio-in-8-studio-monitor-review.10897/page-29#post-318617 V2 is on Erin's Audio Corner I think.
  18. A

How do I stream Atmos without a display?

I *think* this is because they only have Atmos on the 4k stream; if there's no 4k display reported, you get one without atmos. No easy workaround that I know of I'm afraid.
  19. A

center speaker against a wall

Arendal 1961 Center I have the "monitors", but same deal really. Can be wall hung, amazing SPL for their size, sealed cabinet so no port to worry about on the wall, very even frequency response in the room but limited bass extension, so will work best if you have a sub of course.
Top Bottom