Search results

1. P

Is FR the only important measurement? Real life testing.

The guitarist in my old band used to play through a plain old Fender Twin Reverb (~80 watts? A couple of 12s?) To get the tone he liked, he had to crank it loud enough to make enemies of every sound man below 14th St. in Manhattan. As if being a crappy band weren't enough to make enemies. It...
  2. P

Clean boost pedals exist, but I'm pretty sure that's not what most guitarists are talking about. The ones people covet and hoard and argue about are distortion sources, all somewhere on the spectrum of "overdrive," "distortion," and "fuzz." Tube versions do exist ... but they're the minority...
  3. P

Another place that mumbo-jumbo creeps into the guitar world: the fetishization of everything being original. The idea that any "vintage" instrument (hilarious when we're talking about stuff that's younger than half the members of this board) will be devalued by any attempt at refinishing or...
  4. P

Thing that seems funny about the tube amp religion among guitar players, is that when they need more than just a touch of distortion, they use a pedal. And almost all the favorite distortion pedals use transistors.
  5. P

Anyone notice that he uses the same rhetorical device as Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer?
  6. P

Very interesting stuff. Can you recommend a source that discusses this in more detail?
  7. P

This is something that many artists are hesitant to talk about for some reason. I've noticed in photography that most arguments about the superiority of analog materials are based on nonsense ... but if you really press the person, you realize that they just prefer the workflow and the feel of...
  8. P

Amplifier started humming

I brought it out of storage 2 months ago and have been using it since then. The humming just happened for the first time (that I noticed) today.
  9. P

Yes, that's the one. The review shows the guts. I'll definitely reach in and see if the transformer needs tightening.
  10. P

The thing has a giant toroidal transformer, made by the amp manufacturer. Would this be the power supply transformer? Seems unlikely I'd be able to replace this. What are likely sources of DC on the line?
  11. P

Not through the speakers ... the box itself started making a ~60 cycle, kind of ragged sounding hum. Loud enough to be audible over quiet music. I unplugged it and started it back up again, and the hum immediately came back ... and then vanished. Background: it's a 20-year-old Unison Research...
  12. P

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Thanks. I've tested with one of those, and it doesn't show any faults. But I don't know if it's still able to absorb a surge, or if it could create a hazard if it tries to. I don't know if it's significant that the light in the power switch flickers like a dying neon sign in a film-noir hotel...
  13. P

PS Audio Ultimate Outlet Review

Is there any simple way to check for this faulty design? I have a couple of very old surge suppressors that I've kept because they're a good brand (Isobar) and seem unusually solidly made. Is this a mistake?
  14. P

SMSL DO100 Review (Stereo DAC)

I just got one and very much like the features and the design. Probably the highest performing thing in my whole system, by orders of magnitude, so no point in commenting on the sound. My one annoyance is the supposed incompatibility with usb c-to-c cables. But at least one person in this...
  15. P

Dac recommendation?

I went ahead and ordered the SMSL DO100. I suspect even if it has interface problems, it won't come up often enough to be a real bother. The main thing would be switching between USB and bluetooth. Fingers crossed.
  16. P

Dac recommendation?

Thank you! Very helpful. The SMSL D-6 looks almost perfect. My only hesitation is Amir's report of the controls being confusing / badly designed. I'd pay more for something designed to operated by homo sapiens. Anything come to mind?
  17. P

Dac recommendation?

I'm looking for a DAC, and didn't see a search function with filters like there is for speakers. Did I just miss it? If there isn't one, can anyone recommend a DAC that fits the following priorities? Must have: 1. Good design, good UX 2. Balanced and unbalanced output 3. Good audio performance...
  18. P

The Art of Photography from a Traditional Posture

I love the way you phrase this, because it hits a central idea that's quite elegant—it gets us out of trying to force photographs into a finite number of rigid categories (which history shows us is like forcing a room full of kittens into carriers). Fiction writers often talk about a contract...
  19. P

Sure, it's bias in the sense that it's subjective. I'm just suggesting that they're trying to do something different from the old-fashioned role of tastemaker. They're trying to get away from rigid ideas of what makes art great (or what makes it art), and also away from anything as limited as...
  20. P

I've sat in the audience of a few panel discussions among curators and similar folks. I'm happy that for the most part they seem uninterested in questions like "is it Art?" or especially, "is it photography?" They're more interested in questions like: "is it interesting?" Gallery owners are...
Top Bottom