Search results

1. sweetsounds

BACCH4MAC Short Review / first impressions

The LS50 will be a good fit, especially if you have some damping. My room is very symmetrical and the absorption seems to help. The impressive thing is that frequency response only changes slightly with BACCH enabled. On Chesky's binaural recordings there is no coloration at all. The DRC FIR...
  2. sweetsounds

I think, this is doable by using a VST plugin. First of all, if you use Element Modular Plug-in Chainer https://kushview.net/element/ you are free to create your signal processing chain after BACCH has done its processing. A great post can be found here as well...
  3. sweetsounds

So I finally broke the bank and purchased the Intro version of BACCH-DSP 4 MAC (V12.2). Introduction My experience is, that the interaction between room and speakers has by far the greatest impact on how I enjoy music listening. Most of my upgrades of the last 10 years went into room acoustics...
  4. sweetsounds

BACCH4Mac Pro Edition - For those considering BACCH

I am a potential customer. I am using Acourate meanwhile with very good success. Even Acourate was challenging to integrate into my system with Logitech Media Server. General Concerns: Price: BACCH-SP is overpriced for me, clearly looking to position it as a luxury item. So...
  5. sweetsounds

HifiBerry AMP60 Stereo Amplifier Review

This thing exists as a Raspberry Pi HAT with 40W and very good specs. https://www.infineon.com/cms/en/product/evaluation-boards/kit_40w_amp_hat_zw/ (Video and device spec inside) Device Spec is Audio Performance (PMP2), but we have to see if it measures in the module as well ◦ >101dB DNR...
  6. sweetsounds

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

The Harman target curve is loved and hated. In general, it creates a punchy, bassy sound. Recommended reviews at https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems What I like about the site: he is categorizing the sound into neutral, V, Harman like.
  7. sweetsounds

Review of the Dire Straits album Money For Nothing with comparison between CD, Cd remastered in 1996, streaming and vinyl of the new 2022 remastering

The average listener on a car radio won't hear it. The more compressed version might even be more enjoyable: compression amplifies small details at the expense of losing the dynamics in drums and singers and sounds louder at first. Attentive listening is required. It was identified in double...
  8. sweetsounds

When did class D start to not suck?

I think the art of Class D lies in a sort of pre-distortion of the audio signal. A class A is the most simple design and it performs superb if you don't screw it up with wrong components. Class D replaces amplitude modulation with pulse width modulation. Since the output stage now goes...
  9. sweetsounds

Gryphon Apex Stereo power amplifier Measurements (Stereophile)

Hi John, As a reader of Stereophile for several decade I highly appreciate your work and always used the tests and recommended components as guidance. The struggle to get measurements in sync with audibility is evident, in particular for speakers and rooms. But isn't electronics easier? A DAC...
  10. sweetsounds

Kef Blade one Meta - How is the sound ?

I heard the Blade Two Metas twice at dealers with typical jazz and rock pieces. I really would like to listen to a Blade One for a comparison. The Stereophile measurements are surprisingly clean. It is interesting that there are today so many speakers which basically measure flat also with a...
  11. sweetsounds

GR Research B24 AC Cable Review: Does it Make an Audible Difference?

There is an A:B comparison on Jay's Audio Lab Youtube between power cables. People report to hear a difference. And indeed there is: if you take a look at the preamp display, the volume changed between presentations when "nothing changed but the cable" :facepalm: Anyone ever did a real blind...
  12. sweetsounds

Review of the Dire Straits album Money For Nothing with comparison between CD, Cd remastered in 1996, streaming and vinyl of the new 2022 remastering

It would be good to find this data. Together with speakers and room, the mastering determines sound quality. It goes beyond DR, though. Frequency range and timbre, noise level etc. are important. And I don't know of a metric for "soundstage quality" (centered vs wide) and "dynamically sounding...
  13. sweetsounds

I don't have all the right software, so I tried with what I have. I have the 2019 MOFI SACD version of Tunnel of Love, which I ripped and converted to DSF for analysis, (noise shaping visible above 30k): Dynamic Range Meter says 12. I converted to FLAC 44kHz to cut off the HF noise: This...
  14. sweetsounds

This might be a different recording than my original CD. Sounds more "canned"/rough and also less drums than mine. Anyway difficult due to the distorted e-Guitar. I watched the FFT. Could it be that the limiter creates square wave distortions? The high-frequency spectrum is really spiky.
  15. sweetsounds

Don't know, but is this really relevant? My hearing perception varies day-by-day. It is not an instrument. I also can't tell every time for sure if Pavarotti's Turandot is the 1987 or 1994 version, but in general I prefer the 1994 recording. Why would I listen to worse recordings on a worse...
  16. sweetsounds

I tried both strategies, switching quickly in-track and starting each track with a 1 second delay. Both work, but starting each track was easier than switching in-track. As my ears got trained to the difference, I didn't need to switch back-and-forth between A-B-X, but it was usually enough to...
  17. sweetsounds

Thanks for providing this! FooBar ABX Test: 14 out 16 correctly identified. The initial kick-drum is much stronger on the non-limited version and easily identifiable.
  18. sweetsounds

Spurious Noises and Quality of HiRes

I downloaded some Hi-Res recordings and in quite a number of cases there are issues in quality. (Maybe not audible, but then what's the point of HiRes anyway?) Eric Clapton: Tears in Heaven from The Lady on the Balcony (MusicScope analysis) - Noise floor at 90dB - A roll off below 30Hz - A...
  19. sweetsounds

ART Precision Phono Pre Review

@amirm: cool little device. It's amazing what you can do below $100. Compared to the Cambridge the RIAA is also better In your chart the low-cost ART DJ has a higher SINAD, but this was A-weighted and not comparable. So actually isn't this unit the best performing sub-100$ preamp so far?
  20. sweetsounds

Cambridge Audio CXA81 Review (Sample 2)

thanks @amirm, this is an impressive, investigative piece of work, taking pride in scientific work. Very insightful, where defects can come from through noise injection. This amp looks like a competently designed power amp, also in intermodulation. Yet in general, channel separation or input...
Top Bottom