Search results

1. Walter

Topping PA5 Review (Amplifier)

If they are ACCURATE studio monitors--which many like the old Yamahas are not--and you are using them on axis, then yes, as long as by "good" you mean they accurately reproduce the sound. If they have limited and uneven dispersion and you want to listen off axis, or in some other way are...
  2. Walter

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

I'd actually like it if @amirm measured noise at low levels for DACs with volume controls, as he does for headphone amps.
  3. Walter

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

I vote no, as it would just incentivize manufacturers to pursue a higher spec that can essentially never make an audible difference.
  4. Walter

Worst movie ever?

A truly bad movie, due to massive meddling by the studio. I saw an interview with John Derrick where he talked about how heartbroken he was at how it was recut. When he completed it, he thought it was one of his best movies ever. It was supposed to be a spoof. The studio got nervous about...
  5. Walter

Worst movie ever?

I've seen most of the movies mentioned. I agree that Battlefield Earth and Zardoz are abominable. Barbarella, as well. I haven't seen The Room. But hands down the worst movie I ever saw, and the only movie I ever walked out of the theater during, was Fatso with Dom Delouise. Just awful. Edit...
  6. Walter

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

Oh, no argument. If you have to choose between 8330 + 7360 + GLM, or 8331 only, I would always choose the former. You have an awesome desktop or small room system.
  7. Walter

TRUTHEAR x Crinacle Zero IEM Review

I can't stand the fit of Airpods!
  8. Walter

Buckeye Amps: New US based Hypex multichannel amplifier builder, line-up announcement!

Speakon is great for pro use, as it can take a lot of abuse. However, the bulk makes it less Tha ideal on a lot of home audio equipment, especially if it is only stereo. So I eould not call it the best connector for all purposes. I certainly would not want to use them on my desktop system. That...
  9. Walter

Genelec 8320a Review (Powered Monitor)

I think most people would agree--as long as someone else was paying for them.
  10. Walter

The P1 is way below the Harman target above about 1600 Hz, so that is probably the reason. I'm not an audiologist, but since over-ear phones don't affect you the same way, I suspect it is due to the shape and volume of your ear canals.
  11. Walter

8030C and KH120 - Subjective Listening Tests

A professional mixing engineer gives a brief description of his impressions of two well regarded monitors, makes no outlandish claims, states plainly that it is just his subjective opinion, and gets criticized for it? Why? If he starts claiming that switching to $600 cables improved the bass, or...
  12. Walter

boXem ARTHUR 2408/N2 Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Absolutely correct! Figure out the speakers first, then buy the best electronics you can afford with the money you have left. Sounds as if you are shooting for a total budget of $1500-$2000. Passive speakers to consider besides the Polks would be Revel M16 or M105 (should be able to get either...
  13. Walter

As these are the two IEMS I also currently own, I'd be extremely interested to hear your impressions after you've had a little more time to compare.
  14. Walter

Moondrop Chu

Tried every position possible. The best is with the cable coming out the top but then dropping down rather than looping over my ears. If they would have just put a bit of radius on the edges between the top and sides, they'd be fine, but they didn't. I have no problem getting a good seal. The...
  15. Walter

Moondrop Chu

I really like the sound but unfortunately the sharp edge around the top digs into my antitragus and I haven't been able think of a way to pad them. I think I need to go back to a more traditional shape, so I see ether some Blon BL-03 or Etymotic ER2XR in my future.
  16. Walter

Moondrop Chu

Yep, they do--but with a sample size of 3 pairs that is most likely not statistically significant. And I don't doubt that with enough testing and tweaking I could make small impovements, especially in the 5-14kHz range. I'm just saying the Harman curve is just about exactly perfect for me. That...
  17. Walter

Moondrop Chu

Harman curve for IEMs is pretty much dead on for me. I've tried various tweaks, including no EQ at all on 3 different ones, including Chus and CCA CRA, both of which are already close, and find using Crinacle's auto EQ up to 8kHz to beat anything else. So it does fit some people really well.
  18. Walter

Airpulse A100 Review (Powered Speaker)

Totally correct and I'll be really surprised if he hears a difference, assuming a properly level matched blind test.
  19. Walter

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

TRS or XLR makes no difference whatsoever.
  20. Walter

AOSHIDA SMSL C200 Review (DAC & Amp)

Rumor is stupid. Sabaj and SMSL are sister companies, as is Loxjie. None of them are copies of or in any way associated with Topping.
Top Bottom