Search results

1. P

Paris Audio Video Show 2022

Some very pretty toys - and well documented - thanks for posting
  2. P

KEF LS50 Meta Review (Speaker)

That's incredibly useful. Thanks - I'm quite pleased with how I'm doing so far. My ears say "that sounds pretty good, across a variety of music types plus movie dialog", but the brain lies atrociously and it is good to get some measured data with REW - and compare it with what people who know...
  3. P

The first time I did a walk around at one of the room modes that REW showed up, I was most alarmed, but the audyssey correction seems to help but not eliminate it around the listening position. I like the bits of tape solution - as I say to a good friend "I think I need help!" . But it is all a...
  4. P

Bass nodes are a problem for me too, with or without the port plugs. I'm investigating a bit of acoustic treatment, but even so, the speakers sound extremely good. As you say, the speakers "disappear".
  5. P

Andrew Jones out at ELAC!

Those look interesting - 10 inch woofer and 46lbs? Not my idea of a bookshelf! I like the front baffle - although more rounding at the edges would probably be nice. Price seems OK
  6. P

This is probably not news to most on here - the LS50s do like a good bit of space around them and to be pointed at the listening area. Checked them using REW and various to-ins - best (flattest) response using three toe-ins was pointed directly at my head, in spite of what Kef says. Vocals...
  7. P

I spent most of an afternoon adjusting my LS50s and subs (2 x SB1000 Pro) using the PEQ on the subs and the Audyssey calibrations on a Denon 4700 - ended up using a crossover of 100Hz. I still have some annoying sharp room modes (I assume) based on REW at about 180 and 300Hz, but on listening...
  8. P

I wonder how they do that AND avoid the distortion at lower frequencies? It is basically the same speaker but with an amplifier with custom EQ - it can't change the physics!
  9. P

Hmmm... I always understood dynamic range to be from the lowest to the highest volume - so for a symphony orchestra it would be from a single instrument playing, say in a concerto, to the whole orchestra. For example, Mahler's 2nd symphony, which gets quite noisy. So if the speaker can't handle...
  10. P

I don't listen particularly loud - and crossing over to subs at 80Hz avoids the majority of distortion as the fairly small drivers struggle as clearly shown in Amir's review. I'm nowhere near 86db - most typically 60-65db.
  11. P

Absolutely incredible soundstage and dynamic range (particularly noticeable with a symphony orchestra) compared to an aging (and in need of a crossover rebuild) pair of Kef 104/2s. I am seriously astonished by the LS50meta crossed over at 80Hz to subs. To the extent that my center channel...
  12. P

TV Series Suggestion Please

That is a useful timeline - I was wondering about all that and whether I'd have to start digging through the books which I haven't read for a long time. Thanks! The mythology Tolkien constructed is so rich!
  13. P

Totally agree on the underwhelming start. I'm also a huge Tolkien fan - loved the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales - but this is a bit of "fan fiction" so in that regard I take as it is and let it skirt around "the truth". Not really much different from many film adaptations of books (although...
  14. P

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

External library attached to USB is probably the smart move - I find that having it on the same network as a shared volume is a little flaky
  15. P

Kef LS50 Meta - design breakdown by Dr Sebastien Degreave

Thanks for posting that - I just bought a pair of LS50 metas and I'm blown away by how good they sound for such a little box. That explains it!
  16. P

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

I run my output out of the USB into and RME Dac. I used to run it into a Khadas Tone Board (using the Node as the power supply also). I can't realistically see why the coax or optical wouldn't be as good, in terms of audible difference.
  17. P

The Rings of Power has begun to shape up - I was a little bit skeptical at first, feeling it fell somewhere between the excellent LOTR and the execrable "Hobbit" but it is beginning to find its story with episode 6 - I see it has a separate thread...
  18. P

Foundation, also on Apple TV, is rather good - and certainly better.
  19. P

Sorry! I'd suggest sticking with it even if it gets flaky in parts. I nearly gave up about 3 times. Lots of fun and plenty of engaging subplots. The Expanse it ain't, but it is excellent entertainment
  20. P

Indeed - except that once you get to season three you begin to understand why it is not a good idea to send people with a short fuse into space. Or people who are druggies. Or kids. But the premise (actually several premises) is great fun. Loved the 60s technology in the first part of the first...
Top Bottom